X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2014-2015

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    To be honest, I didn't think the statue had the right proportions. It looked a little, dare I say... husky.
    Ryan J

Was it deliberate or just coincidental that the dog's anus is facing the building formerly known as Administration & Student Services?

Comment

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
      Big step for the Mel regime to get Maroste on board. I've still got people telling me he should have been hired over Russell after getting Sertich's endorsement way back when. He's been golfing since...
      this is good news. he can only help.

now for a newly designed huskydog. how about a digital dog? maybe one of those design hotshots at Finlandia could help out?
      Originally posted by mtu_huskies
      "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
      Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
      Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
        this is good news. he can only help.

now for a newly designed huskydog. how about a digital dog? maybe one of those design hotshots at Finlandia could help out?
        Now that we have a goalie Guy like Shawhan on the staff, getting someone like Maroste to replace dieter is a good thing.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
          Big step for the Mel regime to get Maroste on board. I've still got people telling me he should have been hired over Russell after getting Sertich's endorsement way back when. He's been golfing since...
          So what is the inside info that Mel got him in?

Comment

Since we no longer need a goalie guy, I think Maroste's as good an addition as we're going to find on a volunteer basis.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
              So what is the inside info that Mel got him in?
              I'm guessing it's pretty simple, Pearson didn't get the job instead of Maroste and Pearson doesn't need a goalie guy now.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                I'm guessing it's pretty simple, Pearson didn't get the job instead of Maroste and Pearson doesn't need a goalie guy now.
                Sounds to simple but sometimes that's all it is

Comment

Was in Madison last night for the USHL premier of the new Madison Capitols against Cedar Rapids and got to see some future MTU players in action. Mitch Reinke quarterbacked the PP for Cedar Rapids and dominated when he was on the ice....looked like a future Steven Seigo....ended up with a goal and two assists. Easily the most noticeable player on either team (teams that included a lot of other D1 commits to big name programs). Both Watson brothers were on D for Madison. MTU recruit Cooper Watson looked very good and was one of the top pair. He's a big kid (6'3) and a good skater. Younger brother Carver is a smaller guy (5'10) and young for the USHL. He looked pretty green but held his own. It was exciting to see Reinke stand out among all the other D1 recruits.

Comment

Mel Pearson show summary

Mel Pearson Show summary for 10-20:

Seems so long ago that we played, starting from scratch, anxious to get on the ice and on the road
                    We've had good practices, kept them short/intense, looked good
                    Games are different, need to get our feet under us the first few minutes on Friday
                    Huge weekend, only time we see Ferris this year
                    How to scrimmage PP/PK: try to do it in our scheme, even though our own players know how we run our PP/PK
                    Team had Sunday off, ready to go today
                    This weekend, everyone tried PP/PK, made sure to work on our PP/PK scheme, will see video on Ferris' special teams
                    Wintjes has some ongoing issues, no completely there yet, had a setback from intrasquad game, on the shelf, hoping for him full go next week, Kero/Phillips traveling this weekend

They covered other college games:
                    ND/LSSU
                    MSUM/UMD: entertaining games, UMD has a good hockey team, MSUM looked really good
                    UAF/UAA/Air Force/Penn State
                    WCHA did well on the weekend, like the style of play our league is going to, teams can skate and have skill
                    BGSU/UAH: BGSU has a good team, will be right up with Ferris/MSUM

Hietila called in:
                    Nice to get a few goals early, has managed to score goals at most levels
                    Advice to local kids to become good D1 player? Improve skating/strength, worked at skating a lot, also strength.
                    Started in NAHL, didn't play a lot later in the year. Then played in SJHL, great experience, not quite as skilled as BCHL/USHL, really good hockey and got time to improve skills.
                    Mel: BLake paid his dues and worked in the juniors, and being a senior this year I expect him to have his best year
                    When he's in the lineup, what determines who he plays with? Mel: Can play him on left or right side, can play center and help on PP or PK. Beauty of Blake is he's flexible. Can trust Blake and put him on ice in any situation.
                    What's improved since you've gotten to Tech? Strength and skating, our strength coaches have helped a lot in last 4 or 5 years.
                    Blake's scouting report for Ferris: They work hard, it'll be a big weekend, we'll have to do the same thing to be successful.
                    It's a small rink, do you like it? Yeah, it's fun, it's nice to go to the Ralph/Kohl Center but places like this are fun too. Shoulder to shoulder with people in the crowd.
                    Motte is hard to beat, need to get pucks to the net and get people in front of the net.

Will be difficult to figure out who travels:
                    We have to start putting line up together today. We met this morning and went over it a bit, it'll be tough decisions.
                    We tell the players they make the decisions for us, sometimes that doesn't happen with close decisions.
                    We have an experienced team, they were tough 1 goal games last year at Ferris. We can't give up much because it'll be hard to score. May think defense first with close games like that
                    Ready for home games, so have all the players to choose from on both nights.

A guy like Brent Baltus, had some good games last year and has looked better, if he's even with a freshmen does he have more "money in the bank"?
                    Expect experienced guy to be ahead of freshmen. But yes, guys with experience/history usually go.
                    Hard then not playing when team is gone, practicing when teams is gone is tough.

Heinonen/Vallis also have looked good, they're making it tough on us.

Big roster, with little injuries, are practices harder with more players?
                    It's helped, can do drills a little longer, intensity is good, people aren't getting as tired with more bodies. The way we've designed practice, it's worked fine.
                    Schuldt out 6-8 weeks, E. Anderson hasn't skated some, Dane Birks out, Wintjes out, so roster isn't as big as you think.

Copley called in:
                    1-0 Win yesterday, first professional shutout, 15 saves
                    How is pro hockey, biggest difference student athlete/pro hockey? Schedule is busier with games/travel more spontaneous. Game is a little crisper, it's a litle jump.
                    Different with games all week long instead of weekends in college.
                    Goalies practice at 9:30, out of rink by 12:30 and have the rest of the day to do what you want.
                    Mel pointed out that much busier in school. Single guys in pro hockey can have a lot of free time.
                    On Hershey: Not a huge town, supports the hockey team. Cool place to play.
                    On Caps org: It's good, the coaches treat players well and want them to succeed.
                    Did you get the training at Tech to get to where you are now? Yeah, college hockey was great with preparation, and knowing what it takes to get to the next level.
                    Is there a difference in training, weight lifting? It's not much different, same kind of thing, work out after practice. Workouts are pretty similar. It's such a science and college/pros it's pretty similar.
                    Rooming with Chris Conner, Tech alum: he's injured so didn't play yesterday.

Mel: Want him to get that degree, it's a different life in pros but there's downtime and he could do online classes. Going to keep bugging him to get that degree. Wish him all the best.

A new volunteer assistant coach:
                    Very happy with Mark Maroste
                    Played here, coached here, and played pro for quite a few years.
                    Real good hockey mind, he'll be a real good addition to our staff and will really help our players.
                    He was on the ice last week working with our players, don't be afraid to jump right in
                    Thanks again to Dieter, with addition of Joe, felt we needed someone working with Forwards and Defense
                    Have known Mark for a long time, he'll do a real good job

How hands on will Mark be?
                    Expect him to be real hands on. He's been around hockey a long time. He knows a lot of our players, excited to have him on staff.
                    Given him green light if he wants to point something out to a player.
                    Mel was a player when Mark was being recruited. Have known Mark a long time.

Don't look past Ferris, but UM is first home series. Tickets going well, little spike in last week of sales.
                    If you want tickets, don't wait anymore. It'll be a great series, they've got a great team.
                    Reminder, students: 750 tickets for students, but can get a ticket for $5 if you want to guarantee a seat
                    Have a lot of great things going on, will give out gift bags for youth for trick/treating, costume contest etc, fun night Friday

Questions for Mel:
                    What do we need to do to beat Motte?
                    Have to get traffic in front of him. Teams that had success had people in crease area.
                    Get him moving side to side. We may have a few places we can beat, but easier said than done.
                    Need to work hard and be aggressive.
                    These are the games you want to play in, high competition level.

Mark Auk/Matt Roy, 2 freshmen that have played, is one above the other?
                    They're different style players. Mark is better offensively, Roy is defensive. Mark has to learn to play without the puck better. Mark was a little bit more sound defensively.
                    Had individual meeting with players last week. Very productive meetings.

Blake Pietila with 2 goals, why will he be more productive this year?
                    Last year he had a nagging injury we didn't talk about. Playing with one hand the 1st half. He's 100% now, tough kid that didn't want to take time off, he couldn't have made it worse.
                    He's more dialed in, senior year and knows team needs him.

Where is Mason Blacklock as far as the lineup?
                    He's continued to improve. He's probably improved the most from the 1st day to now. Had a lower body injury, couldn't train last month of summer. He's getting in shape, a little behind, but every week he gets closer to playing.

Dirk: Jimmy Davis, how's he doing?
                    He's been okay, a little issue last week. Didn't prevent him from skating, but nagged him. Has to get over that before he's 100%. He'll be fine after that.

They talked about Tech football, they're rolling. Mel was there, congrats to Kerly. Big weekend for them too in Houghton.

Comment

I feel sad about no hockey for two weeks, but this is fun. "Mic'd up with Mel."
                      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Agreed. Pretty cool to watch!
                        MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

This was entertaining!

Any guesses at who travels this weekend? D and Goalies are set due to injuries, and looking at forwards, maybe Vallis or Baltus make this road trip? It looks like Baltus played there both games last year.

Comment

too much fun! Huskies Number One!
                            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

I love when he said" I'm going to pee my pants laughing!." that was choice. Huskies number 1. !!!!
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Great video - As a player, after only a couple minutes of watching that, it makes me want to put my skates on and get skating. Loved the subtle motivations "I'll bet you don't skate as fast as him...", "first time you scored on your brother, you get the puck...", etc.
                                Ryan J
                                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                                Originally posted by geezer
                                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                                Originally posted by manurespreader
                                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                                X