PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Tech 2014-2015

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

manurespreader
10-22-2014, 04:25 PM
I don't think it's appropriate to name names but I can think of a few for sure. What surprises me is how they continue to get top players regardless.

HuskyNation
10-22-2014, 05:43 PM
Cough* Mike Eaves* Cough

Bless you.

FadeToBlack&Gold
10-22-2014, 06:14 PM
I don't think it's appropriate to name names but I can think of a few for sure. What surprises me is how they continue to get top players regardless.

I don't think it's that surprising. Top flight players are willing to put up with hard-nosed coaches to play for Boston College or Wisconsin - nationally-renowned schools, in great cities, with big audiences, and good odds at a championship. There are a few coaches in every sport that simply get results, even when everyone knows they're tough on their teams. Plus, some players do find that kind of coaching style motivating.

bigblue_dl
10-22-2014, 07:10 PM

This is an internet message board, it is completely appropriate to say that Eaves is an *******.

eye4talent
10-23-2014, 08:29 AM
This was entertaining!

Any guesses at who travels this weekend? D and Goalies are set due to injuries, and looking at forwards, maybe Vallis or Baltus make this road trip? It looks like Baltus played there both games last year.

my sources are telling me 5 freshmen made the trip. i'm assuming 3 forwards and two D. I would guess Gillies, Steman and L'Esperance up front along with Roy and Auk on the back end.

Shirtless Guy
10-23-2014, 09:19 AM
my sources are telling me 5 freshmen made the trip. i'm assuming 3 forwards and two D. I would guess Gillies, Steman and L'Esperance up front along with Roy and Auk on the back end.

Sounds about right since all of them played opening weekend against LSSU. I'd be shocked if the lineup is much different than the LSSU series.

mtu_huskies
10-23-2014, 09:37 AM

5 skating freshmen? We know Devin is on the trip with Wintjes injured.

I thought we might see one less freshmen than LSSU with it being a tough building to play in.

stuckinwi
10-23-2014, 01:58 PM
Got my tickets for the UofM series. Pickings are quite slim... :D

Broseph Stalin
10-23-2014, 04:26 PM
Got my tickets for the UofM series. Pickings are quite slim... :D

Friday *might* be a sellout. Saturday will be sold out. When is the last time that happened? I remember a few games against Northern where people were lined 4 deep at the boards and standing up in the rafters.

I like our chances for a sweep against Michigan. Hopefully we get out of Big Rapids with a split.

huskyfan
10-23-2014, 04:40 PM
great about the sellout(s)!! how much fun are those nights going to be?? I really hope we have a couple of points from this weekend going in.

bigblue_dl
10-24-2014, 07:33 AM
I'm not hoping for a split this weekend, hopefully they sweep. I'm sure the team is going into this thinking that they can win both, they have high expectations, by all accounts, and hopefully they meet them. Is a split more realistic? Sure it is, but that doesn't mean that this team doesn't have the ability to go in there and take 4 points.

mtu_huskies
10-24-2014, 07:42 AM
Finally game day! Here's the Mining Gazette article on Blacklock from yesterday.
http://www.mininggazette.com/page/content.detail/id/538400/Blacklock-took-leap-of-faith.html?nav=5009

Blacklock took leap of faith

October 23, 2014
By Brandon Veale - DMG Sports Editor (bveale@mininggazette.com) , The Daily Mining Gazette

HOUGHTON - Mason Blacklock's arrival in Houghton this fall was the culmination of a 2,000-mile leap of faith.
Blacklock, a freshman forward on the Michigan Tech hockey team, signed with the Huskies without ever having visited the campus in person.
He did have some good advice from recent recruits (and British Columbia Hockey Leaguers) Alex Petan and Jujhar Khaira.

Michigan Tech freshman Mason Blacklock moves the puck forward during the team’s intrasquad scrimmage Oct. 11 at MacInnes Student Ice Arena. (DMG photo by David Archambeau)

"They (Tech) just made me feel like a special person in the recruiting process and they seemed really honest the entire time and they always had an interest, so I kind of felt like they were loyal to me and not only interested in me as a player, but a person," Blacklock said.

Starting school at Tech turned out to match many of the descriptions he was given, he said, though one big white factor has yet to arrive.

"It was kind of what I thought it would be. They were always talking about how much snow there was here, and it was sunny, nice weather, so it was a bit different in that regard, but it was good hard practices and stuff. It took a bit of getting used to but it wasn't like I was too surprised by anything," he said.

His hometown, White Rock, B.C., is just south of Vancouver, just north of the U.S. border and just east of the Pacific Ocean, but he had a chance to tour the whole province during four seasons in the BCHL, in which he played more than 170 games.

Blacklock played for Langley, Nanaimo and Surrey before playing his last year and a half with the Vernon Vipers. The Vipers had a unique opportunity last season as hosts of the 2014 RBC Cup, the national championship of Canadian junior hockey.

The Vipers got their bid by virtue of being the home team, but they had a legitimate run, reaching the semifinals before losing to the eventual champs.

"We didn't end up winning, which was kind of too bad, but it was cool to see the best junior teams in Canada, measure yourself against those players and see where you stack up," he said.

Blacklock blossomed offensively in Vernon, recording career highs in goals, assists and points last season with an 18-12-30 in 28 regular season games.

"You're playing against some really good players every night and practicing with some good players, so you just kind of get better every day," he said.

After four years spent mostly focused on hockey, he said it's been a change to have books to hit as well. He's majoring in business administration.

"You've got to really manage your free time well. Once you leave the rink, it's not just hang out like it used to be in juniors. You've got to go and do your schoolwork, study and stuff like that, pretty much do everything you can to be ready to come to the rink the next day and work hard," he said.

He describes his game as being a big (6-foot-1, 195), hardworking player with some offensive skill that can put the puck in the net but be effective all over the ice.

"I'm hoping I can be a leader at some point, but just a hardworking guy that gives it his all every night and hopefully can contribute on the scoreboard," he said.

John J. MacInnes
10-24-2014, 07:45 AM
Should be a fun one tonight. Some interesting stats about Ferris that will be revealed in the pregame radio broadcast tonight, so make sure you're taking notes. See you in Big Rapids, Huskies fans!

oldish husky
10-24-2014, 07:01 PM
Amyone else having issues with the wcha feed after the first period? Its like they stopped broadcasting

lawdoggies
10-24-2014, 08:23 PM
Amyone else having issues with the wcha feed after the first period? Its like they stopped broadcasting

Yep . . . dead for most of the 2nd.

How 'bout them Huskies!!

redwing61
10-24-2014, 11:30 PM
Nice set of photos here (http://michigantechhuskies.com/sports/mice/2014-15/photos/0002/index). What's with the Ferris State student section and their shirts that apparently laud jockstraps ("PROTECT CUP")? Those fans are true athletic supporters, I guess...

Huskiefan906
10-24-2014, 11:33 PM
Nice job Huskies!

mtu_huskies
10-24-2014, 11:56 PM
Big Win!

Mel's postgame interview:
Good game, happy for our players
Real good performance, most guys had a pretty good game
We're finding a way to win on the road early in the season
We played well without the puck, little too stagnant on the 5x3
We had good back pressure, take the middle of the ice away, real good job
Roy had a good game, last 37 seconds Billy had him on, asked if he was sure, credit to Billy, have to trust him, had the right guys out
Draining game, right back at it tomorrow, we'll look at tape and most guys had a good game
They're excited in that locker room, told them Mel's not surprised
Will be watching/cheering for the football team

gfmorris
10-25-2014, 12:35 AM
Way to take those guys down!

GFM

The_Commissioner
10-25-2014, 06:56 AM
Way to take those guys down!

GFM

Shutting out a team with high expectations on their ice. The Huskies have definitely turned a corner.