X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2014-2015

Originally posted by John Biasi View Post
    I have nothing for WMEB. I don't have dates in front of me, but during that timeframe the WDOM poll out of Providence and KBIL poll out of St. Louis University's campus station were the other major polls.

There have been a lot of polls over the years. By my count, almost 20 different polls. Even ESPN produced a college hockey poll in the very early 80s for about two seasons.

I've been slowly collecting old WMPL polls. I have most of the 70s and 80s. In the 90s, the NCAA started releasing their poll (the one to make tournament selection transparent) in January, so polls are hard to find post-December.
    When was the WMPL poll done? I'm surprised that they would have skipped a year?
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
      Guys, BigAl is a business major at Quinnipiac, so we can forgive him for not knowing much. He is pretty good at playing the role of an above-the-fray pot-stirrer, though.
      Your forgetting what school was in a very similiar position to you two short years ago
      Quinnipiac University '15
      ECAC Regular Season Champs: 2013, 2015, 2016
      ECAC Championship: 2016
      NCAA Tournament: 2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
      NCAA Frozen Four: 2013, 2016
      Yuck Fale : 2013

Comment

I think our friend BigAl has a valid opinion of relative team quality, and would not be at all surprised to see the final standing reflect his accuracy. Having said that, I'm really surprised that UMD didn't get more recognition in the polls for sweeping MN (BigAl is probably closer to the mark by plugging them in at #5). That was a big pair of wins.

edit: nevermind, they did jump five spots. For some reason I thought they were #9 last week.
        Last edited by geezer; 11-18-2014, 10:55 AM.
        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          When was the WMPL poll done? I'm surprised that they would have skipped a year?
          I think 2000 or 2001 right around when Bob Olson retired. The 70-71 poll was the WKOW poll out of Madison. It was the first national poll but there had been unrelated east and west regional polls since the mid 60s. The WKOW radio poll was started by Gary Bender who, for us old enough to remember, was the same Gary Bender who called NFL games for CBS. Gary worked Badger games but left in 1971 to do Packer games, so the poll also stopped. Bob Olson restarted the national poll with WMPL for 1972-73.

Comment

Originally posted by John Biasi View Post
            I think 2000 or 2001 right around when Bob Olson retired. The 70-71 poll was the WKOW poll out of Madison. It was the first national poll but there had been unrelated east and west regional polls since the mid 60s. The WKOW radio poll was started by Gary Bender who, for us old enough to remember, was the same Gary Bender who called NFL games for CBS. Gary worked Badger games but left in 1971 to do Packer games, so the poll also stopped. Bob Olson restarted the national poll with WMPL for 1972-73.
            Thank you so much, I'm always fascinated by history lessons like this. I would love the opportunity to work with you if you'd like to help me publish the old polls on Tech Hockey Guide and do some research on filling in the holes you have.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by 626575NC View Post
              Help Shirtless Guy out and give him your access/link to the WMPL archives.
              I would love to have access to those files! The South Bend Tribune would often have the WMPL poll on their sports agate page, but sometimes in weeks Notre Dame was not ranked (which let's face it was most of the time) they would not publish it.

Congrats to MTU on the ranking. Hope the season continues to be impressive for you guys. I get a real kick out of seeing them atop the polls.

Comment

And here's a story about WMPL and Bob Olson.

Comment

Congrats to MTU! Much better you than Schenectady County Community College.

BTW, don't any of you list the Boosh Factor any more? And what happened to Boosh himself?
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    Congrats to MTU! Much better you than Schenectady County Community College.

BTW, don't any of you list the Boosh Factor any more? And what happened to Boosh himself?
                    It fell into disuse. Might be time to revive it.

Introducing Boosh-O-Meter, the official Misfit method to rating your level of fanaticism/faith for our Hockey Huskies!!
                    Boosh1 = Convinced Tech will win every game this season, taking NCAA trophy
                    2 = MTU wins the WCHA playoffs
                    3 = Looking to see Tech finish in the WCHA top 3
                    4 = Will play strong in the WCHA, with a chance to win any game
                    5 = Will just squeak into a home playoff berth
                    6 = Would like to believe Tech will play .500 hockey this season
                    7 = Won't host a home playoff series
                    8 = Well, they won't be in last place in the WCHA
                    9 = Yeah, they might win one or two games, but it's all been a fluke thus far
                    10 = Convinced Tech will lose every remaining game this season

Borrowed from MacInnes Diehard on USCHO forums. It can be found here:http://board.uscho.com/showpost.php?...04&postcount=1
                    Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                    What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                      It fell into disuse. Might be time to revive it.

So... currently the Boosh factor is....?

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                        So... currently the Boosh factor is....?
                        The boosh factor is for you to decide? I'd like to be higher but I'm around a 2.5

Comment

Originally posted by BigAl View Post
                          Your forgetting what school was in a very similiar position to you two short years ago
                          Is this what you do for extra money?

Comment

Boosh1.1
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                              The boosh factor is for you to decide? I'd like to be higher but I'm around a 2.5
                              And there use to be an aggregated poll on the Mitch's Misfits site. Kind of like a political climate indicator.
                              Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                              What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                                I like that you are all currently being trolled by Alabama's mascot.
                                I got Aubie on the phone yesterday and gave him $50 to train to fight him. Unfortunately, that was an NCAA violation and Auburn will miss the 2014-15 WCHA postseason tournament.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X