PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Tech 2014-2015

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

huskyfan
12-08-2014, 12:14 PM
There will be a Blue Line lunch this Friday, December 12th at noon, SDC,
by University Images.

Cost is $10 per person - RSVP by Thursday, Dec. 11th to blueline@mtu.edu

Come out and cheer on our #5 ranked Huskies when they take on the #8
ranked Bulldogs. (USCHO Division 1 Men's Poll - 12/1/14)

GO HUSKIES!

bigblue_dl
12-08-2014, 01:43 PM
I go on a 2 week vacation hiatus and now Tech is no longer #1 and has 2 losses? What is this cruel world coming to?

mtu_huskies
12-08-2014, 02:02 PM
Mel P show summary. I thought Mel's answer about not answering the phone when UM calls was good.

Mel Pearson Show summary for 12-8:
Mel watched about 7 college hockey games Friday night, so got his fill
Watched WI/Penn State, UMD/CC on Saturday, UMD looks real good
Guys had Sunday off after UAH, and Monday/Tuesday off
We got back at it Wed, had a lot of Jump Wed/Thur, almost wished we played last Friday
Are you a proponent of giving guys days off to keep them fresh? Big time, need to know your team/individuals to pick which days you give off. Big on sleep too, to get a routine and perform.
Saturday morning worked on PP and 4x4 play. Haven't had a lot of 4x4, but we've been okay and not good at times.
We were okay working on PP, players can get frustrated in practice, our own PKers know what tendencies guys have.

They discussed WCHA games.
The UAF win will guarantee us having 1st place at Xmas.
NMU gave up 5 goals two nights in a row. Surprising. Difficult with NMU not getting a bye week after 12 days in AK.
Talked to Damon Mon/Tues last week. He's encouraged by some things he was seeing in his team. UND hadn't played freshmen goalie all year, he got start Friday, sometimes that can be enough to throw your team off as LSSU was up 4-1 during the game.
Mel looks at who people have played, NMU is done with Mankato and Ferris with games in hand. Didn't have to go to Ferris or Mankato this year. There's still a lot of points on the table.
Like that we have more home games in WCHA second half. The month of January will tell us a lot of where we'll be.

Will UMD be our best competition we've played?
Statistically speaking, they're right up there. Said UM would have best set of forwards, but UMD is right up there. Mankato is up there in scoring too.
Only lost 1 of last 9 games. They're quick, like their defense, mobile. Have a good freshmen goaltender.

Their skilled players get around the ice. Not that big, but they have skill and can skate. Like their speed/quickness. Can do so many things when you can skate like them.
This will be best skating team overall we've seen. These are two huge non-conference games for national picture.
Really looking forward to these games. Hope we can continue this with Sandelin going forward. They play physical but good clean hockey. These games will only help your team get better.
Known Scott for a long time, we've continued to talk. He likes to take his team out East every few years. The MN schools have a tourney. Their fans like coming here and we like going to Duluth. Mel wants to play, so it's all on Sandelin for future, joking.

Toys for Tots on Friday night - Teddy Bear Toss, bring a couple teddy bears. Would like to see a lot on the ice.
Flash sale online. Only on Wed, 11:30-5:30, reduce cost tickets. $12 for adult reserved, $5 for youth. Two top 10 teams, great hockey.
Maybe two top 5 teams, Mel has a vote. Looking for UMD to be in top 5.
UMD beat CC 7-2 Sat. See CC turning things around? They've gotten better this year. They have a new coaching staff, coming from pro hockey, different style. Will take some time.
Dirk - always had respect for Owens. Mel- Scott remains in Colorado Springs, taking a year off. Did a great job at CC. Real good person.
Dirk - Nex to Mel, Owens has best hair in college hockey. Mel - I thought that was Lucia.

On World Juniors:
UM has 5 guys going to camp. Mel had one year that 5 went to WJ at UM. Can be difficult, but UM is stacked. If they have all 5 there, they'll still be ready to play in GLI.
US has come a long way from when Mel coached team, won silver, was highest at the time.
Tech has a couple good guys, but harder for US guys, they establish USNTDP that's kind of a feeder developing them. That's where most come from. 29 go to camp, 23 make the team.
Is the USNTDP worth the money being put into it? Depends how you measure success and return on investment. Their teams have been successful in U17 and U18 tourneys. It's helped image and visibility of USA Hockey.
Great advantage for MI, 2 mile recruiting trip? Mel - It is and isn't great, Mel found, MI guys wanted to MI schools, East wanted to go back East, MN guys wanted MN, didn't pull a lot of guys in. Eric Nystrom was an exception, being in AA prob helped MI. A lot are committed before they get there these days.

Questions for Mel:

Is UMD as good as Mankato?
They played 2 games and split. They're a better team right now, UMD has speed/quickness all through lineup. 2 very good teams.

Talked to UM about coming back up here, they're receptive. Have to play there in a couple years.
Scheduling is on-going, want good teams, teams that play the right way. We go to MSU next year, likely in Nov, right before Thanksgiving.

When can Dane Birks practice with the team?
He has to do work on his own with Shelast. He can start skating after Xmas, need final answer from NCAA for what that date is. Mel thinks once his grades get posted.
He'll be involved day in and day out, good for him, he's been positive, working hard, getting stronger. Really appreciate what he's done, easy to leave, but he's stayed, values education.
He's done a good job, he'll be so excited. It seemed like it was a long time, but now it's so close.

Will he step in next year and play?
Yes, he's good, good range, hockey IQ, the real deal.

Emailer noted it's Red Berenseon Bday, how old is? He's 75.

When you have to pick someone to serve a penalty, can you pick a backup goalie?
Happened in Marquette Saturday. Tried to send backup goalie, as penalty was late in game so guy never would've come on the ice.
No you can't, not sure if Walt was upset with the call or what. Has to be a skater.

Who at Tech is in charge of NCAA rules, so we don't wind up with a problem like UAF?
We have a compliance staff. They handle all issues, we have D1 and D2 issues. Rules are a lot different. Knew some were, but just found out, with recruits visiting for football you can test them, weather you've signed a letter or not, in hockey you can't do that. Can't even go on golf course, because NCAA thinks you're trying to judge athletic talent.
Coaches need to be aware too. We take a compliance test every year. Mainly for recruiting, what you can/can't do. We stay up on most rules, but we have an officer, she'll look up any questions. Tell coaches to call if they're not sure.

Johnstone/Pietila/Sturos, a bit of a slump lately, how to get out of it?
UAH put a certain line against them every shift. UAH guys didn't' care if they touched puck or not, wanted to make it tough on that line. At home we'll get last change, happy with Blake's 1st half.
His faceoff % has been good. Want him to shoot more and play with pace.
Reid has had a good 1st half. Mostly seeing other teams top line.
We're winning and playing good defensively, they'll have success. David too, he's battled through a few small injuries.
Changed lines a bit last week in practice.

Shout out to Mike Neville, condolences, lost his grandfather last weekend. He went home Tuesday, has been off ice since Huntsville. Will be back tomorrow or wed, best wishes to his family.

Can Mel reassure the Tech hockey nation, he'll say no to UM when they call?
Think they lost Mel's number. Really enjoy it here. Came back, tried to get here a few times, so happy to be here. Enjoy the area.
Earlier Mel joked his wife wasn't happy about watching 7 games on his Fri night off, but wife did enjoy the hockey games Friday night, she knows quite a bit about hockey. No worries.

Nervous, UMD is a scary team to watch. Know our guys will be excited. Thanks to fans for all the support the 1st half.

Shirtless Guy
12-08-2014, 02:12 PM
Chris Conner named AHL Player of the Week for Hershey Bears:
http://theahl.com/bears-conner-ahl-player-of-the-week-p195225

He had a 3-4-7 line in 3 games.

JohnsonsJerseys
12-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Tech got a nice early holiday gift from Alaska. It puts Tech and MSU back on even footing. However when the number of games played evens out, BGSU still has games in hand and in theory, could be in first right now. I would like to think that someone is going to skate the cup 2/28/15 in Mankato, but given there is still one weekend of conference play after that, I don't see anyone wrapping up the conference until the final weekend (if not day) of the regular season.

Halfway through the season, if you factor out the games in hand, you have three teams within 1 pt of the top spot. It's going to be a tight race as always, but I'm hopefully that it involves MTU this year.

Ryan J

Twitch Boy
12-08-2014, 03:33 PM
I go on a 2 week vacation hiatus and now Tech is no longer #1 and has 2 losses? What is this cruel world coming to?

Lost a couple pit fights to Kato.

In the words of the esteemed A. Rodgers..."R-E-L-A-X."

Shirtless Guy
12-08-2014, 03:35 PM
Lost a couple pit fights to Kato.

In the words of the esteemed A. Rodgers..."R-E-L-A-X."
quoting a packer to bigblue? smooth

Twitch Boy
12-08-2014, 06:16 PM

trollface.jpg

huskyfan
12-08-2014, 07:39 PM
"Dirk - always had respect for Owens. Mel- Scott remains in Colorado Springs, taking a year off. Did a great job at CC. Real good person.
Dirk - Nex to Mel, Owens has best hair in college hockey. Mel - I thought that was Lucia."

coaches don't read USCHO. not. remember Twitch's CBSPs and TDon's remarks at the Blue Line Lunch? "what's this thing with my hair?"

bigblue_dl
12-08-2014, 09:55 PM
I don't have any hate towards the Packers. Don't usually root for them but I don't really have anything against them, like most Vikings fans.

aparch
12-08-2014, 10:51 PM
Merry Christmas from John Scott!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlReCoTDM4o

The Rube
12-09-2014, 12:30 AM
There will be a Blue Line lunch this Friday, December 12th at noon, SDC,
by University Images.

Cost is $10 per person - RSVP by Thursday, Dec. 11th to blueline@mtu.edu

Come out and cheer on our #5 ranked Huskies when they take on the #8
ranked Bulldogs. (USCHO Division 1 Men's Poll - 12/1/14)

GO HUSKIES!

Link isn't working, and not finding the link on the MTU site....

melmac
12-09-2014, 06:08 AM
Link isn't working, and not finding the link on the MTU site....

Or you could just send an email to blueline@mtu.edu without clicking the link...

bigblue_dl
12-09-2014, 01:03 PM
I clicked on the MTU-UMD series thread, and then realized the mistake I made. I forgot what unreadable crap that thread always is.

Gurtholfin
12-09-2014, 01:11 PM
I clicked on the MTU-UMD series thread, and then realized the mistake I made. I forgot what unreadable crap that thread always is.

This intrigued me, so I went for a look.

Mistake.

redwing61
12-09-2014, 01:44 PM

Engineers giddily exploring the shallow end of the grammar/syntax pool. It's only cute for a couple of seconds.

Gurtholfin
12-09-2014, 01:51 PM
Engineers giddily exploring the shallow end of the grammar/syntax pool. It's only cute for a couple of seconds.

Reminded me of a time I had to stop at a gaming store with my boy to pick up a birthday present (Heroscape, I believe) for one of his buddies.

There was a full on table top miniatures game tournament going on with a mix of 20-30 guys ranging in age from mid teens to maybe 30-somethings.

They all turned and looked when we walked in. Creepy...

Anyway, my then 8 or 9 year old son said "dork convention" as we were getting back in the car. Instead of using it as a teaching moment and talking about typecasting and preconceived notions, I simply said, "No doubt." :D

That thread is the USCHO equivalent.

FadeToBlack&Gold
12-09-2014, 02:14 PM
When it's only once a year, I don't care so much. When it was twice a year, it was way overdone.

Like I said in the thread, I'll miss the series, but I won't mind the break from the third person threads.

stuckinwi
12-09-2014, 03:35 PM
This intrigued me, so I went for a look.

Mistake.

Hahaha, back away slooooowly. I too am not a big fan...

The Rube
12-10-2014, 01:22 AM
It's a fun break once in a while. I hate third person (see: Herschel Walker, for you old-timers). But this is for fun, so I roll with it.