PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Tech 2014-2015

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

FadeToBlack&Gold
12-04-2014, 11:31 AM
I have to think if it's a dead heat between Kero and Wintjes, Wintjes would get preference. Kero is a freshman and is also not likely to go anywhere else. As long as Wintjes looks good in practice, I think he'll be the #2. I would bet Kero doesn't mind waiting until next year to play. The Kero boys are at Tech as much for an education as to play hockey. They're both really smart kids.

If all the goalies stay healthy, they could also easily plan to redshirt Devin.

geezer
12-04-2014, 01:23 PM
The Kero boys are at Tech as much for an education as to play hockey.

The pipeline. (http://www.mihshockeyhub.com/roster_players/3976357?subseason=126479)

#1collegehockeyfan
12-04-2014, 03:16 PM
The Kero boys are at Tech as much for an education as to play hockey. They're both really smart kids.

Do the Keros have a two for one deal with University with a parent working at the school? Having them on the team must open up a scholarship for another player. Not a bad deal for that school.

huskyfan
12-04-2014, 06:09 PM
Nothing looks good with Camo jerseys. Nothing.

this.

Devin was highly recruited. including Air Force and Harvard. but he wanted to play with his brother.

gfmorris
12-04-2014, 07:40 PM
Do the Keros have a two for one deal with University with a parent working at the school? Having them on the team must open up a scholarship for another player. Not a bad deal for that school.

When Jared Ross played at UAH while his father was the coach, I don't think that his father being a University employee factored much into his scholarship allocation. I'm not sure what happens as far as academic deals go — sounds like the Keroes could have a good deal going there, too, like UAH does with a kid like Anderson White (who is making far better grades than I did as an aerospace engineering major while playing hockey, albeit not as much this year).

GFM

The Rube
12-05-2014, 12:21 AM
When Jared Ross played at UAH while his father was the coach, I don't think that his father being a University employee factored much into his scholarship allocation. I'm not sure what happens as far as academic deals go sounds like the Keroes could have a good deal going there, too, like UAH does with a kid like Anderson White (who is making far better grades than I did as an aerospace engineering major while playing hockey, albeit not as much this year).

GFM

Considering tDon and his kids Tony and Mario...scholarship didn't matter, but pressure did. Tony went MN. Mario went not MN because of father's advice. Hence Mario Lucia to ND.

stuckinwi
12-05-2014, 01:00 AM
When Jared Ross played at UAH while his father was the coach, I don't think that his father being a University employee factored much into his scholarship allocation. I'm not sure what happens as far as academic deals go — sounds like the Keroes could have a good deal going there, too, like UAH does with a kid like Anderson White (who is making far better grades than I did as an aerospace engineering major while playing hockey, albeit not as much this year).

GFM

MTU has a half-off tuition policy for employees kids. My bills were 50% less than normal. My sister's still are, so the policy still exists. I don't see why this wouldn't apply to athletes.

gfmorris
12-05-2014, 06:50 AM
MTU has a half-off tuition policy for employees kids. My bills were 50% less than normal. My sister's still are, so the policy still exists. I don't see why this wouldn't apply to athletes.

My understanding is that it was something to do with the fact that the award wasn't that it was a piece of the 18 full scholarships that the NCAA allows as viewed on an absolute dollar basis (say, $10k/yr allowed), but that it was a relative thing —*that Jared's tuition being lowered to (say) $5k meant that the school was paying less in absolute dollars but was still burning a scholarship allotment — that the discount didn't affect the fact that a full scholarship was being used. As such, giving him a full ride would've saved the school money but not saved them the slot.

I could be wrong. This was a decade ago, and we're talking something that doesn't really get discussed openly.

GFM <— wondering when someone is going to start a new thread, as this one is due to be closed soon.

Gokings12
12-05-2014, 08:01 AM

If your parent that works at the university retires, can you still get 1/2 off?

aparch
12-05-2014, 08:36 AM
For the record NMU has the same policy. NMU couldn't take advantage of this when John Over was hired as assistant coach because his first son was already attending NMU on a scholarship, and he left NMU before his other son was enrolled.

manurespreader
12-05-2014, 08:40 AM
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/content/injuries-bring-out-umd-hockeys-depth

geezer
12-05-2014, 09:03 AM
If your parent that works at the university retires, can you still get 1/2 off?

It would only stay in effect if you were admitted to MTU before the retirement (http://www.mtu.edu/hr/current/benefits/docs/trip.pdf).

JohnsonsJerseys
12-05-2014, 03:44 PM
Tech posted a highlights package of the top 10 goals so far this season. For my money, #9 needs a longer clip to do it justice. That was one of the best displays of team puck movement I have seen in a long time and it resulted in the goal on the delayed penalty call. #4 was very close as well in terms of moving the puck and then cashing it in.

Reid's goal (#5) was the best from a pure energy standpoint. Great effort and the building erupted when it went in the net because there was so much build up to the Michigan series.

http://michigantechhuskies.com/sports/mice/2014-15/videos/20141205-3snru7cj#.VIHKjsFJYXg.facebook

Ryan J

Huskiefan906
12-06-2014, 10:41 AM
Thanks to Alaska, Tech goes into the break with at least a tie for first in the WCHA.

A nice start on achieving goals for the year.

Michigan will be short for the GLI with Larkin, Compher, and Motte likely to be gone to the world juniors.

Curious if Blacklock and Anderson get integrated in for the second half.

Looking forward to the UMD series. Need to get better every week.

huskyfan
12-06-2014, 02:31 PM
the Alaska victory last night was sweet.

The Rube
12-06-2014, 07:42 PM
Soon. That is all.

huskyfan
12-06-2014, 09:17 PM
Soon. That is all.

cheer. for. Tech.

The Rube
12-06-2014, 09:26 PM
cheer. for. Tech.

Some of us are. Yes, that's plural. ;)

huskyfan
12-06-2014, 09:29 PM
Some of us are. Yes, that's plural. ;)

no fishbowls or KBC for those who dont, huskyfan says.

Brent, what was the name of the tatto place in Denver that you use? I know I've asked before. this time, I really really mean it. I want mine touched up and added to a bit.

The Rube
12-06-2014, 09:32 PM
no fishbowls or KBC for those who dont, huskyfan says.

Brent, what was the name of the tatto place in Denver that you use? I know I've asked before. this time, I really really mean it. I want mine touched up and added to a bit.

https://www.facebook.com/LoveNHateEliteTattoo

My artist is Mike, AFAIK he still is there. The other artists are quality, too, though.