PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Tech 2014-2015

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

gfmorris
11-18-2014, 01:03 PM
Wow you guys really get upset over someone knocking on your parade. Enjoy the day you become the #1 ranked team in the country, not some low life like me knocking your SOS ;)

Well, bird brain, you asked for them to comment, so they did. Suck it up.

GFM

BigAl
11-18-2014, 01:08 PM
Well, bird brain, you asked for them to comment, so they did. Suck it up.

GFM

Hahaha i'm not having any trouble sucking it up. I wrote it and put my name on, unlike most people on this thread.

Shirtless Guy
11-18-2014, 01:17 PM
Hahaha i'm not having any trouble sucking it up. I wrote it and put my name on, unlike most people on this thread.

I'm pretty sure most of the people complaining to you are publicly known like myself and bigblue_dl

gfmorris
11-18-2014, 01:28 PM

So let me get this straight:

0. You write a weekly response to the USCHO poll.
1. You decided to share that response with the Michigan Tech fan community by posting a link in this thread.
2. You had fun with the response.
3. You then commented that it was all in fun and you didn't know why people were upset about it.
4. You then said (above) that you were at least willing to put your name on it.

Funny, I don't see your name in your .sig.

Twerp.

GFM

BigAl
11-18-2014, 01:53 PM
So let me get this straight:

0. You write a weekly response to the USCHO poll.
1. You decided to share that response with the Michigan Tech fan community by posting a link in this thread.
2. You had fun with the response.
3. You then commented that it was all in fun and you didn't know why people were upset about it.
4. You then said (above) that you were at least willing to put your name on it.

Funny, I don't see your name in your .sig.

Twerp.

GFM

My names on the article. Arthur Lane. Including a link to my twitter. That's how someone found out exactly who I am. A Quinnipiac business student, who writes a weekly recap of the USCHO poll and gives my opinion. I understand some people are known publically on here but most are not. I never said I don't know why people are upset. I simply said there's no reason to get overly upset over one person's (mine) opinion. There are many people that obviously agree with my SOS argument because Michigan Tech is not close to being unanimous at the top of the poll.

Shirtless Guy
11-18-2014, 01:56 PM
My names on the article. Arthur Lane. Including a link to my twitter. That's how someone found out exactly who I am. A Quinnipiac business student, who writes a weekly recap of the USCHO poll and gives my opinion. I understand some people are known publically on here but most are not. I never said I don't know why people are upset. I simply said there's no reason to get overly upset over one person's (mine) opinion. There are many people that obviously agree with my SOS argument because Michigan Tech is not close to being unanimous at the top of the poll.I wouldn't expect them to be unanimous, I didn't actually think they would make #1 in the poll this week. I think UND and BU both deserve votes and Minnesota may end up proving it's the best team in the country despite getting swept by UMD but I do have an issue with anyone, including buccigross and you who think MTU isn't in the top 3 right now. After this coming weekend, it will likely change all over again.

Shirtless Guy
11-18-2014, 02:01 PM
I think we're going to have to add Arizona State to the list of NC opponents I'd like to see...would love to have a reason to go to Arizona in November-March

BigAl
11-18-2014, 02:02 PM
I understand and the way this season is going it might change every weekend. One of my good buddies believes MTU will be the #1 team the rest of the regular season. I'll be watching this weekend. I appreciate the feedback

Shirtless Guy
11-18-2014, 02:05 PM
I understand and the way this season is going it might change every weekend. One of my good buddies believes MTU will be the #1 team the rest of the regular season. I'll be watching this weekend. I appreciate the feedback

If they can get 2+ this weekend, sweep UAH and get 2+ against UMD, they might stay there for quite awhile.

BigAl
11-18-2014, 02:11 PM
That's very possible and truthfully I wouldn't be that surprised. Really reminds me of Quinnipiac in 2012. There will always be resistance to a "newcomer" taking over the poll. I just wasn't ready to until they play Minn St. But like I said, I would have no problem after a weekend sweep doing so.

Shirtless Guy
11-18-2014, 02:18 PM
That's very possible and truthfully I wouldn't be that surprised. Really reminds me of Quinnipiac in 2012. There will always be resistance to a "newcomer" taking over the poll. I just wasn't ready to until they play Minn St. But like I said, I would have no problem after a weekend sweep doing so.

I can't really argue the fact that MTU "hasn't played anyone" but the fact of the matter is that if MTU sucked this yea, FSU and Michigan would still be in the polls if they had swept MTU. I've been saying we would hear that since we swept FSU and were waiting to host Michigan.

Broseph Stalin
11-18-2014, 02:47 PM
I hope we're still having this debate if Tech sweeps MSU, UAH, UM (not UM-TC), and wins the GLI. I can't imagine what the opinions would be at that point. In the words of Keith Jackson, "whoa nellie!"

Shirtless Guy
11-18-2014, 02:49 PM
I hope we're still having this debate if Tech sweeps MSU, UAH, UMD, and wins the GLI. I can't imagine what the opinions would be at that point. In the words of Keith Jackson, "whoa nellie!"
I'm really hoping the GLI goes like this:

MTU beats Michigan
MSU ties FSU but advances on shootout
MTU beats MSU
FSU beats Michigan

:) WCHA goes 3-0-1 in GLI

Boosh
11-18-2014, 03:46 PM
Congrats to MTU! Much better you than Schenectady County Community College. :)

BTW, don't any of you list the Boosh Factor any more? And what happened to Boosh himself?

Did someone say Boosh Factor?

TECHFAN
11-18-2014, 03:54 PM
I'm really hoping the GLI goes like this:

MTU beats Michigan
MSU ties FSU but advances on shootout
MTU beats MSU
FSU beats Michigan

:) WCHA goes 3-0-1 in GLI

That would be perfect. Then you have both UM and MSU go on a tear afterwards so that record looks even better.

Shirtless Guy
11-18-2014, 04:23 PM
Speaking of SOS,
Did the caculation.
Michigan Tech's opponents (counting each game once and ignoring their results against MTU) are 0.455.
Not that great but UND is 0.405 and BU is 0.425
Minnesota is 0.544
Sounds like Michigan Tech deserves to be #1 right now unless we consider Minnesota still #1 because they've had a significantly more difficult schedule.

oldish husky
11-18-2014, 08:50 PM
I don't think tech at #1 is a unanimous feeling even among tech fans. I think the objection to the article was the insanely circular reasoning. There are plenty of good arguments against considering tech number one. I'm not sure we'd stand a chance against Duluth right now. The available data might be limited in its ability to discriminate between teams, but most Tech grads will take limited data over someone's gut feeling.

Edit: I should have said inconsistent not circular. And to be fair, I think BigAL is probably taking some undeserved heat in response not directly to the article, but other blogger opinions we've mentioned here. I'm as guilty as anyone there. Apologies.

Wisko McBadgerton
11-18-2014, 09:20 PM
Speaking of SOS,
Did the caculation.
Michigan Tech's opponents (counting each game once and ignoring their results against MTU) are 0.455.
Not that great but UND is 0.405 and BU is 0.425
Minnesota is 0.544
Sounds like Michigan Tech deserves to be #1 right now unless we consider Minnesota still #1 because they've had a significantly more difficult schedule.

I didn't read BigA's article, and I'm not grinding any ax, just pointing out that SOS is really, really, really, very foggy this early. For example Wisconsin is 58th in RPI SOS, and their opponents have a .595 win % doing the same calculation you are here. Obviously that wouldn't make sense. And it won't until much later in the year.

For what it's worth, I'd put MTU #1 this week.

HuskyNation
11-18-2014, 10:08 PM
I don't think tech at #1 is a unanimous feeling even among tech fans. I think the objection to the article was the insanely circular reasoning. There are plenty of good arguments against considering tech number one. I'm not sure we'd stand a chance against Duluth right now. The available data might be limited in its ability to discriminate between teams, but most Tech grads will take limited data over someone's gut feeling.

Edit: I should have said inconsistent not circular. And to be fair, I think BigAL is probably taking some undeserved heat in response not directly to the article, but other blogger opinions we've mentioned here. I'm as guilty as anyone there. Apologies.

You guys are being much more diplomatic than I. To be fair, he asked for it. But for the same reasons you stated was exactly why I retorted in the fashion I did. To me, this was no different than the bloggers. Circumstantial evidence does not a case make. Opinion needs facts to be substantial or to be interesting to a mainly logical fanbase. Know your audience before you throw a steaming pile in front them, considering that it was very easy to see the research was superficial at best.

gfmorris
11-18-2014, 10:33 PM
My names on the article. Arthur Lane. Including a link to my twitter. That's how someone found out exactly who I am. A Quinnipiac business student, who writes a weekly recap of the USCHO poll and gives my opinion. I understand some people are known publically on here but most are not. I never said I don't know why people are upset. I simply said there's no reason to get overly upset over one person's (mine) opinion. There are many people that obviously agree with my SOS argument because Michigan Tech is not close to being unanimous at the top of the poll.

Do they teach reason at Quinnipiac? Also, so that you know, people who chuck USCHO a little coin get to see who reps them, so your neg-rep asking me to not troll you (wut) was kinda funny.

GFM