PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Tech 2014-2015

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Shirtless Guy
11-12-2014, 06:44 PM
As far as I know this is it. I suspect THG has pushed the athletic dept to engage more online. After years of complaining they've finally posted game shots online for purchase, we have some video interviews, they post more news. Just a few examples there. So cheers to the THG guys for (I believe) getting it done.

Any suggestions out there on where I should go for my information? This forum is (almost) my sole source of team information. THG has done a good job over the years (and thanks for the live chats, btw), but as Shirtless pointed out life happens and the standard is hard to hold up. Is there another active student/recent grad group that takes the effort to pull in lots of information and present it logically so I don't have to? I'm not really interested in Twitter - way more inconsequential than in here. Maybe I should migrate back to the beat writers.
Thanks we tried very hard to force them to do more with what they had. It was really quite pathetic what we could do with very little money and hardwork. I've run low on time but this season seems to get me interested in doing something again. Does anyone have any suggestions on what they miss most about what we used to do or what they think is lacking most amongst the current coverage between CHN, USCHO, WCHA, MTU? Let me know what you think is the most lacking.

Do you know the rule for guys who are on academic scholarships? Do they count against the 18? I don't believe they do.Academic scholarships do not count against the 18 at the D1 level.

huskyfan
11-12-2014, 07:25 PM
I realize that. That's why I am only seeking "probationary status" to be an occasional Tech poster. I suppose I will also lose points if I wear my 1971 NMU basketball letter jacket to the game Friday. Will that disqualify me?

you want Bemidji to win this weekend AND you are a NMU grad AND you want to be a Tech poster? we can't stop you, but I'd vote "no" "no way" and "hell no". then put you on ignore. you are delusional.

Broseph Stalin
11-12-2014, 07:46 PM
you want Bemidji to win this weekend AND you are a NMU grad AND you want to be a Tech poster? we can't stop you, but I'd vote "no" "no way" and "hell no". then put you on ignore. you are delusional.

Does Michigan Tech currently have letter jackets? If not, have they ever? I have a letter from Tech (from the athletic department, an award, not a postal letter! this is a serious question).

oldish husky
11-12-2014, 09:03 PM
I'm nervous about this weekend. BSU clearly backs away from no one and desperately needs 3-4 points at home to keep pace with the top half.

Pure Mel
11-13-2014, 12:34 AM
I'm nervous about this weekend. BSU clearly backs away from no one and desperately needs 3-4 points at home to keep pace with the top half.

Bemidji has had one of the tougher schedules to begin the season. I think they are better than their record indicates.

I will be at both games to find out if Mel Pure Son has the team where he wants them. Go Tech!

The Rube
11-13-2014, 12:48 AM
To the newbies....you'll see some of your big brother fanbase (the U) in December. We'll be the the loud ones. ;) Come say hi.

Biddco
11-13-2014, 12:50 AM
To the newbies....you'll see some of your big brother fanbase (the U) in December. We'll be the the loud ones. ;) Come say hi.

The Miami Hurricanes don't play hockey.

The Rube
11-13-2014, 12:50 AM

Who are they, besides a bunch of criminals, besides Jim Kelly of course. He's a saint.

MinnesotaNorthStar
11-13-2014, 12:59 AM

The hell they don't!! (http://www.themiamihurricane.com/2013/10/04/canes-hockey-ready-for-first-home-series/)

I had no idea they were Tech's big brother school, though. Seems like an odd pairing.

HuskyNation
11-13-2014, 06:19 AM

Ask Michigan and Michigan State how well the "big brother" moniker is working out. :D

The Rube
11-13-2014, 08:58 AM
The hell they don't!! (http://www.themiamihurricane.com/2013/10/04/canes-hockey-ready-for-first-home-series/)

I had no idea they were Tech's big brother school, though. Seems like an odd pairing.

Not school. Fanbase. :)

aparch
11-13-2014, 09:34 AM
Is that kinda like a Big Brother/Big Sister thing?

Is Brent implying that the Michigan Tech fanbase came from a broken home and needs someone to look up to after all these years of being downtrodden?

Wisko McBadgerton
11-13-2014, 09:35 AM
Hmmm... should Tech survive the trip to BSU, I think I see a pasty sale in the Huskies Band's future.

(to fund a bigger wagon.)

bigblue_dl
11-13-2014, 09:40 AM
Is that kinda like a Big Brother/Big Sister thing?

Is Brent implying that the Michigan Tech fanbase came from a broken home and needs someone to look up to after all these years of being downtrodden?

I think Brent is implying that Gopher fans really just want cameras in all of our houses, just like they have it in the TV show Big Brother. Most likely so they can be exposed to our greatness 24 hours per day.

Shirtless Guy
11-13-2014, 11:05 AM
CHN is starting to care more about the WCHA with a weekend preview this week:
http://blog.collegehockeynews.com/2014/11/wcha-weekend-preview-nov-13-15/

Andrew J Carter
11-13-2014, 11:18 AM

Huskyfan: You seem to have a minority opinion on friendly intermural chatter. The posts from outside the Tech community appear to be welcomed such as those that precede this post. Volunteering my connection with Tech hockey great, Gerald Sullivan, along with NMU & BSU on the Tech Thread makes me delusional? You would have a hard time getting consensus with your thread mates on that one.

Wyattus Magnus
11-13-2014, 11:44 AM
Does Michigan Tech currently have letter jackets? If not, have they ever? I have a letter from Tech (from the athletic department, an award, not a postal letter! this is a serious question).

I don't know if they currently have varsity jackets, but they did for many years. I have one that I purchased when I received my first varsity letter from Tech back in the early 1990s (earned in a D2 sport). They are/were a silver/gray wool body, buff/neutral leather sleeves, gold snaps, and black collars and cuffs with two gold stripes. Then the varsity letter if not many have seen a Michigan Tech varsity letter is an all gold M that is thinner in width and taller in height (kind of the opposite of Michigan's block M). They are a most unique looking varsity jacket - I have seen nothing quite like them anywhere with the color scheme. There are old B&W pictures of them with MacInnes wearing one without the letter, one with Esposito wearing one, and some of the hockey trainers wearing them as well - floating around.

Tech also use to give varsity blankets after your senior season. They were a silver/gray wool with gold edging, and an old M varsity letter in the middle that was gold with silver edging (your name and any accolades are embroidered below). The old M varsity letter was from the MCM days. In the one corner are gold stars for every letter you earned and the sport(s) you were in is embroidered. I really treasure mine, as a former co-worker of mine that played football told me that they no longer give that type of varsity blanket out anymore.

huskyfan
11-13-2014, 03:58 PM
Huskyfan: You seem to have a minority opinion on friendly intermural chatter. The posts from outside the Tech community appear to be welcomed such as those that precede this post. Volunteering my connection with Tech hockey great, Gerald Sullivan, along with NMU & BSU on the Tech Thread makes me delusional? You would have a hard time getting consensus with your thread mates on that one.

since when do we have "friendly intermural chatter" between MTU and NMU? the Gerald Sullivan connection is great, you couldnt get into Tech, that ok, I couldnt either, but to drop in to tell us "Go Bemidji!" - thats over the top!

Broseph Stalin
11-13-2014, 04:51 PM
I don't know if they currently have varsity jackets, but they did for many years. I have one that I purchased when I received my first varsity letter from Tech back in the early 1990s (earned in a D2 sport). They are/were a silver/gray wool body, buff/neutral leather sleeves, gold snaps, and black collars and cuffs with two gold stripes. Then the varsity letter if not many have seen a Michigan Tech varsity letter is an all gold M that is thinner in width and taller in height (kind of the opposite of Michigan's block M). They are a most unique looking varsity jacket - I have seen nothing quite like them anywhere with the color scheme. There are old B&W pictures of them with MacInnes wearing one without the letter, one with Esposito wearing one, and some of the hockey trainers wearing them as well - floating around.

Tech also use to give varsity blankets after your senior season. They were a silver/gray wool with gold edging, and an old M varsity letter in the middle that was gold with silver edging (your name and any accolades are embroidered below). The old M varsity letter was from the MCM days. In the one corner are gold stars for every letter you earned and the sport(s) you were in is embroidered. I really treasure mine, as a former co-worker of mine that played football told me that they no longer give that type of varsity blanket out anymore.

I have a blanket, but not a physical letter or a jacket to put it on. It's a shame there is nothing like the old jackets today. I would sure as heck wear it. I had a family member take a nap on the couch with the blanket and I had to educate him that it wasn't used in that manner. Thanks for the reply!

Broseph Stalin
11-13-2014, 05:04 PM

I guess the Tech thread is the place to be. Does Northern still have a two year program in bar management? That's a special place.