This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2014-2015

Jake Jackson (#15) and Demico Hannoun (#19) are now both in the top 20 scorers in the BCHL....both above a point per game. Good to see Jake getting his scoring edge back after a tough year in the USHL.

http://www.bchl.ca/leagues/stats_hoc...&leagueid=2393

Comment

Shane Frederick was a guest on the Pipeline Show and they did a whole segment on the WCHA including discussion of Michigan Tech:
      http://www.thepipelineshow.com/media...15077200&sn=10
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
        The PP on Saturday was vicious. Gloriously vicious.
        I agree, but prior to Saturday the PP was not so hot. To be hovering at about 12% for the first five games, then explode for four PPG in the sixth game skews the numbers a bit with the small sample size.

Comment

interesting post from MGoBlog

Mel Pearson

@mgoblog For your mailbag: M Hockey has basically sucked since Mel Pearson left. Is there a direct correlation?
          — A2 Torch & Pitchfork (@A2Torch) November 2, 2014

I think so.

I mean, I kind of thought so when Pearson went to Tech and they immediately went from punching bag to pretty decent. The year before Pearson arrived in Houghton the Huskies were 4-30-4(!), and the previous two years had seen the Huskies win 5 and 6 games. Pearson helicopters in; they immediately go 16-19-4, their best season since 2005-06, and they've hovered slightly under .500 since. Before Pearson, MTU's had two seasons of 10+ wins since 1999-00.

This year they're going full Mullen. They're 6-0, having swept LSSU and Ferris on the road before blowing Michigan's doors off in a series that was 10-3 total goals. Meanwhile, Michigan has fallen off the map and is facing down what may be their third straight year without a tourney bid of any variety.

By the end of this year or next—Berenson is scheduled to retire after 2014-15 but has made noises about getting out early if he thinks he's not getting it done—Pearson is going to look like a strong candidate for any college hockey job, let alone the one he helped drive to great success. Age is the only drawback—he's 55 currently.

Pearson's biggest obstacle to the Michigan job is in Massachusetts, where UMass-Lowell coach Norm Bazin has done even more incredible work. The year before his arrival UML went 5-25-4. They hadn't been to the tournament since 1996. In Bazin's three years UML has been to the tourney every year,—doubling the number of bids in the history of the program—won their first-ever Hockey East title, and gone to their first-ever Frozen Four. He's in his fourth year there and he's already won HE coach of the year twice and national coach of the year once. Possible difficulty: Bazin's a UML alum.

Even if Bazin doesn't work out, if the worst you can do is Mel Pearson you're gonna have a good coaching search.
          "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post

Mel Pearson

@mgoblog For your mailbag: M Hockey has basically sucked since Mel Pearson left. Is there a direct correlation?

I think so.

I mean, I kind of thought so when Pearson went to Tech and they immediately went from punching bag to pretty decent. The year before Pearson arrived in Houghton the Huskies were 4-30-4(!), and the previous two years had seen the Huskies win 5 and 6 games. Pearson helicopters in; they immediately go 16-19-4, their best season since 2005-06, and they've hovered slightly under .500 since. Before Pearson, MTU's had two seasons of 10+ wins since 1999-00.

This year they're going full Mullen. They're 6-0, having swept LSSU and Ferris on the road before blowing Michigan's doors off in a series that was 10-3 total goals. Meanwhile, Michigan has fallen off the map and is facing down what may be their third straight year without a tourney bid of any variety.

By the end of this year or next—Berenson is scheduled to retire after 2014-15 but has made noises about getting out early if he thinks he's not getting it done—Pearson is going to look like a strong candidate for any college hockey job, let alone the one he helped drive to great success. Age is the only drawback—he's 55 currently.

Pearson's biggest obstacle to the Michigan job is in Massachusetts, where UMass-Lowell coach Norm Bazin has done even more incredible work. The year before his arrival UML went 5-25-4. They hadn't been to the tournament since 1996. In Bazin's three years UML has been to the tourney every year,—doubling the number of bids in the history of the program—won their first-ever Hockey East title, and gone to their first-ever Frozen Four. He's in his fourth year there and he's already won HE coach of the year twice and national coach of the year once. Possible difficulty: Bazin's a UML alum.

Even if Bazin doesn't work out, if the worst you can do is Mel Pearson you're gonna have a good coaching search.
            Link?
            MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
              Link?

http://mgoblog.com/content/mailbag-d...C0%2C0%2C0%2C1
              "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post

Mel Pearson

I think so.

So its an obstacle that Bazin is a Lowell alum but not that Mel is a Tech alum? Whoever wrote that article is throwing **** at a wall, and doing **** poor research at the same time.

Not that I'm surprised when it is coming from Michigan people that were probably educated at that bushleague school.
                Last edited by bigblue_dl; 11-05-2014, 06:31 PM.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

One of the comments is great: "He probably has a payback clause in his contract, but he may have negotiated a "Michigan Clause" ... If he's offered the HC job at Michigan, he owes less, or doesn't owe anything. It's been a few years, but I feel like I remember reading that Red helped him get his job at Tech, possibly so he could get some experience as a HC before Red retired."

LOL. If Red got him the job, he sure was quick to happily comment to the press, "Mel's staying with us" when Pearson turned the job down on the first pass. And there was no "Michigan Clause" in his initial contract either (not that it would stop him). These guys are grasping at straws.

Look, I have no doubt Mel's going to get a phone call within a week after Red says he is done, and it may very well be Red himself making the pitch and ready to give him an endorsement. Whether he takes the offer, is another story entirely. It could happen, but I have my doubts at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    One of the comments is great: "He probably has a payback clause in his contract, but he may have negotiated a "Michigan Clause" ... If he's offered the HC job at Michigan, he owes less, or doesn't owe anything. It's been a few years, but I feel like I remember reading that Red helped him get his job at Tech, possibly so he could get some experience as a HC before Red retired."

LOL. If Red got him the job, he sure was quick to happily comment to the press, "Mel's staying with us" when Pearson turned the job down on the first pass. And there was no "Michigan Clause" in his initial contract either (not that it would stop him). These guys are grasping at straws.

Look, I have no doubt Mel's going to get a phone call within a week after Red says he is done, and it may very well be Red himself making the pitch and ready to give him an endorsement. Whether he takes the offer, is another story entirely. It could happen, but I have my doubts at this point.
                    I just get the feeling that most of them aren't very bright.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

The ironic part is that one poster tries to make the point that Pearson was one of the driving forces behind Michigan's success, but then another poster makes the counter point that Red would have helped Pearson get the Tech job because he needed some head coaching experience before being good enough to take over in AA.

If there was a clause in Pearson's contract regarding him taking another job, it would prob be that Mel would owe Tech MORE if he breaks contract to go to Michigan. No reason at all for Tech to give him a break if such a clause exists. That would be the one place they would want to make it tough to go because it would be the one place he might possibly consider.

This whole drama is not unlike Favre and Rodgers in Green Bay, only the Packers dumped their "Red" before their "Mel" could become a free agent and leave town. It's all just sour grapes from Michigan because they waited too long to give Pearson a shot and now he's moved on to greener pastures up North, where ironicly, hardly anything grows - other than evergreens.
                      Ryan J
                      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                      Originally posted by geezer
                      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                      Originally posted by manurespreader
                      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                        The ironic part is that one poster tries to make the point that Pearson was one of the driving forces behind Michigan's success, but then another poster makes the counter point that Red would have helped Pearson get the Tech job because he needed some head coaching experience before being good enough to take over in AA.

If there was a clause in Pearson's contract regarding him taking another job, it would prob be that Mel would owe Tech MORE if he breaks contract to go to Michigan. No reason at all for Tech to give him a break if such a clause exists. That would be the one place they would want to make it tough to go because it would be the one place he might possibly consider.

This whole drama is not unlike Favre and Rodgers in Green Bay, only the Packers dumped their "Red" before their "Mel" could become a free agent and leave town. It's all just sour grapes from Michigan because they waited too long to give Pearson a shot and now he's moved on to greener pastures up North, where ironicly, hardly anything grows - other than evergreens.
                        Ryan J
                        It echoes the alleged "Blais" clause for MN, too. It's pure BS. There is no clause. I saw the original terms of the contract, thanks to a source, and there are enough poison pills in there to make this a non-issue.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Michigan Tech has a new recruit.
                          '97 Forward, Mitch Newsome...currently plays for the 1st place Penticton Vees of the BCHL (along with Demico Hannoun).
                          So far through 17 games in his BCHL rookie year he has 2 goals and 10 assists.
                          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I get a kick out of the tiny little worldview that Michigan people tend to have; "Pearson's biggest obstacle to the Michigan job is in Mass..." as if a MICHIGAN JOB is the be-all and end-all of life. Mel's not that dumb that he'd walk into a train wreck like the UM athletic dept. at this point in his career no matter how much money they wanted to throw at him. The place is a disaster.
                            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                            USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Lest we forget....Johnstone, Pietila, Kero, Petan, Sweeney and Khaira were all recruited by the Russell administration. Although Mel is a great coach and recruiter, I think anyone who attributes Tech's resurgence solely to him is being naive. I think Russell's staff were pretty good recruiters, but I think Mel's administration is much better at coaching and developing players. I expect UofM will wait a few more years before they go trolling for Mel and if Mel's doing well here, it might be hard to dislodge him. Hockey's a much bigger deal at MTU than it is at UofM.

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
                                Lest we forget....Johnstone, Pietila, Kero, Petan, Sweeney and Khaira were all recruited by the Russell administration. Although Mel is a great coach and recruiter, I think anyone who attributes Tech's resurgence solely to him is being naive. I think Russell's staff were pretty good recruiters, but I think Mel's administration is much better at coaching and developing players. I expect UofM will wait a few more years before they go trolling for Mel and if Mel's doing well here, it might be hard to dislodge him. Hockey's a much bigger deal at MTU than it is at UofM.
                                Mel is definitely the big fish here and he has pretty much gotten everything he's wanted for the program thus far.

As for Russell, I think he deserves a ton of credit for leaving Pearson with a ton of talent. Of the list of players that committed before Russell resigned, that includes Hietala, Kero, Pietila, Johnstone and Sturos. Sweeney was Pearson's 2nd recruit after Jimmy Davis (Khaira was Russell but he's gone). I would have liked to see what Russell could have done with the financial support Pearson had but I'm thrilled to have Pearson and see the support he's getting and the results it has produced.

Comment

Working...
                                X