PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Tech 2014-2015

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Shirtless Guy
11-08-2014, 09:38 PM
Done. At this point, I can't even remember the rating scale (other than 10 was "convinced Tech will lose every remaining game this season" and 1 was something like "will win every remaining game, including the national championship"), but 3.0 sounds about right for the time being.

I believe 8-0 ties the record from '72-'73.
They also started 8-0 in 1965-66
Gonna be awhile before we can talk about longest win-streak. Michigan Tech won their last 20 games in 1961-62 plus won their first 2 in 1962-63.

geezer
11-08-2014, 09:39 PM
Unexpected trends starting to show up on the stat sheet: Gould is the only forward at +5 (Hanna is at +6), and Heinonen has a point in every game played (3-1-4 in 4). The games will get tougher for a couple weeks yet, what a fun year though.

Shirtless Guy
11-08-2014, 09:44 PM
Unexpected trends starting to show up on the stat sheet: Gould is the only forward at +5 (Hanna is at +6), and Heinonen has a point in every game played (3-1-4 in 4). The games will get tougher for a couple weeks yet, what a fun year though.It's great to see a guy like Gould performing. Through 8 games of the season, he's 2 points off his career best already. Unexpected production from a guy like him can only help this team continue to win games.

HuskyNation
11-09-2014, 07:43 AM
Six players at a point a game. Wow.

This is the most complete team effort consistently over a string of games from Tech I've seen. Mel's 2011 team was close, and Jamie's 2007 team was close too. I've never seen a Tech team in the last 15 years carry the play like this team.

burd
11-09-2014, 08:39 AM
Hey, great to see Tech kicking arse and taking names. Story of the year so far.

Huskiefan906
11-09-2014, 08:54 AM
And we have Vallis, E. Anderson, Blacklock and P. Anderson yet to even play a game. These guys will make it tough in practice to continue to sit them.
I think Gould has reached everydayer as they recruited him for his offense and it is now showing.
Heinonen looks too good to sit now as well.
We need Jamie rested for the Mankato series. Will Wintjes get a game in Bemidji with the streak?

As for the D, no weak links and Auk and Davis have to wait.

huskyfan
11-09-2014, 09:46 AM
I cant see sitting Phillips with his hot hand. Bemidji wont roll over for us.

Huskiefan906
11-09-2014, 09:48 AM

Not saying Bemidji will roll, they will be tough as ever, but cannot wear down Jamie and have him tired for Mankato. Just a question, hopefully he can get a breather and some rest after the next 4 games.

UpNorthHockey
11-09-2014, 10:49 AM
Blacklock and Evan Anderson are both top tier players. Once they're healthy they will be challenging for ice time. Both of them are at the same level as Gillies, L'Esperance and Steman.

<3_Blizzard
11-09-2014, 12:17 PM
Was anybody else surprised L'Esperance didn't play Saturday? I thought he was one of our best players Friday. I guess it doesn't matter since we won, but it had me scratching my head a bit.

oldish husky
11-09-2014, 12:37 PM
Done. At this point, I can't even remember the rating scale (other than 10 was "convinced Tech will lose every remaining game this season" and 1 was something like "will win every remaining game, including the national championship"), but 3.0 sounds about right for the time being.

I think the scale was something like that. I'm at a 4

geezer
11-09-2014, 12:41 PM
Was anybody else surprised L'Esperance didn't play Saturday? I thought he was one of our best players Friday. I guess it doesn't matter since we won, but it had me scratching my head a bit.

You're right, but he may have gotten bruised up or his conditioning might not be at the same level as the other guys and was most in need of a rest. One thing that impressed me was playing through the adversity from the refs! The weird major penalty call on Gillies, and Kero's stick was blatantly held a couple of times for no call at all. Most of them played through it, other than Blake losing his cool again.

JohnsonsJerseys
11-09-2014, 01:19 PM
I felt like the officials swallowed the whistles on Saturday night - anything short of 5 and a game, they didn't bother to call it. There were a lot of calls that could have been made on both teams towards the end of Saturday and very few of them got whistled.

As far as Jamie needing to be rested vs BSU, if the games go like Friday night, he could play two games a night - very little action on this end. I even felt like he started wandering a bit just to touch the puck and find something to do at times. I honestly don't think college goalies really wear out physically. They are playing at most two games a week with 5 days off in between. I would guess if he needs time off it would come out of practice time.

Ryan J

mtu_huskies
11-09-2014, 01:37 PM

It seems like the message from Mel during these Ws is that the lineup changes haven't been due to bad play, but because fresh legs and rewarding people that had a good week of practice plays into it to.

mtu_huskies
11-09-2014, 01:39 PM
Saw this tweet and I was thinking along these lines last week, thinking about the season we only won 6 games and we had already won 6 this year. Just the reality of how lean the Ws were for so many years.

‏@INCH Michigan Tech beat Alaska Anchorage tonight to go to 8-0-0. Huskies won 8 or fewer games in 10 of 16 SEASONS between 1996-97 and 2010-11.

giwan
11-09-2014, 02:03 PM
It seems like the message from Mel during these Ws is that the lineup changes haven't been due to bad play, but because fresh legs and rewarding people that had a good week of practice plays into it to.

Keeps everyone hungry at each practice. Work hard, get rewarded

lawdoggies
11-09-2014, 02:23 PM

I wasn't surprised to see Hietala in the lineup on Saturday . . . he also has played well and has been pretty productive.

lawdoggies
11-09-2014, 02:30 PM
We need Jamie rested for the Mankato series. Will Wintjes get a game in Bemidji with the streak?

I can see staying with Phillips and the hot hand. He certainly seems to be very composed. As to the Mankato series -vs- the Bemidji series, points are points . . . points from Bemidji are as good as points from Mankato.

huskyfan
11-09-2014, 02:51 PM
Phillips pretty much texts his girlfriend most of the game, puts the phone down, makes a quick save and goes back to the phone. he's not tired.

as Geezer said,the Gilles 5 minute was ridiculous.

I'm a 2. verging on negative numbers. I know it wont go on forever but is this a fun ride or what?

Stauber1
11-09-2014, 02:54 PM
I can see staying with Phillips and the hot hand. He certainly seems to be very composed. As to the Mankato series -vs- the Bemidji series, points are points . . . points from Bemidji are as good as points from Mankato.

And the Beavers are no slouches. Sure, they most likely aren't going to be competing for the league title, but if a team shows up and turns in a less than full effort Bemidji is very capable of taking advantage. They are better than they have been the past couple years.

Clearly I'm not as familiar with Pearson nor the goaltending situation in Houghton as the other folks in this thread, but I've never liked the idea of starting the clear #2 in a series against a middling team when result is still important.
Holiday tournaments? The last week before the postseason when league placing is already decided and pairwise implications are limited? Sure. Early/mid season when you are rolling along well and have done well to put yourself in position when the stretch starts? Not so much.