PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Tech 2014-2015

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

The Rube
11-02-2014, 07:43 AM
The Big 10 is weak bro. Nothing personal. We have an actual hockey team coming to Houghton next weekend. We're already focused on Alaska-Anchorage. They're our first real test this year so we need to move on from this Big 10 talk.

Um, I said the B1G is weak, except for MN. :p

WI is a train wreck (ha ha, Barry!), MI has lost its luster, and frankly, the other schools are consistently not good at all.

Take a lesson from the elders in your fanbase. Don't get too lippy, just enjoy the ride. :)

redwing61
11-02-2014, 07:51 AM
It was a huge favor for Michigan to come up, same for MSU last year.

The question now is whether it's worth 2-for-1 deals to get them up here.

Huskiefan906
11-02-2014, 07:57 AM
The question now is whether it's worth 2-for-1 deals to get them up here.

After that beating, I do not think they will be anxious to make the trek and stick to the usual GLI games.

Red probably will retire after this year and the UM coach may not feel visiting Tech suits him despite Mel's negotiating skills.

The Rube
11-02-2014, 07:58 AM
After that beating, I do not think they will be anxious to make the trek and stick to the usual GLI games.

Red probably will "retire" after this year and the UM coach may not feel visiting Tech suits him despite Mel's negotiating skills.

Fixed. ;)

Huskiefan906
11-02-2014, 08:09 AM
I still respect Red's accomplishments and agreeing to visit Houghton was just plain cool. the whole town "got up" for it and reminds us of how hockey was played by Tech years ago.

The WCHA is looking strong in the second year. Mel is so awesome, it cannot be underestimated what he brings. I know this is going to spread now as we are on the upswing.

huskyfan
11-02-2014, 10:14 AM
the schedule gets tougher. I'm not ready to buy my Final Five Tickets ... yet. maybe tomorrow. :) still, just delighted. I dont think this is a team to let up or take a series for granted. the upperclassmen and coaches have their heads on straight.

bigblue_dl
11-02-2014, 10:18 AM
There's no problem with scheduling BIG team, we just need to make sure we schedule the ones that aren't cupcakes. The problem is, MN's schedule is packed for the forseeable future.

huskyfan
11-02-2014, 10:34 AM
just for some background for the newbies. we've developed a friendly rivalry over the years with Minnesota, with each teams visiting the other arenas. lots of co-tailgating, visiting each other Blue Line Club luncheons, friendly relations and yes, even a mixed marriage! and a little Gopher / Husky baby. we've had a lot of fun with near fights between coaches, tDon Lucia's hair and John Scott's infamous holding off of two Minnesota players at once. (anyone still have that picture?) basically, most of us cheer for the others team, probably even more so that we are now in different leagues. if there are jabs its usually in good fun. a group of Minnesota fans make a yearly trek to Houghton, often in awful weather, to watch a Minnesota team play, but many cheer for Tech.

Mel mentioned at BL lunch that he was continuing talks with tDon to get a Minnesota series on the schedule, but it was hard because Minnesota wanted to get in the state schools first. but talks are ongoing. Mel said he reminded Don that they played against each other in the Minnesota High School Championships and that Mel's team had won. :)

huskyfan
11-02-2014, 10:41 AM
sorry. one more thing. Husky Nation and Shirtless can be proud, the Misfits were 3 sections strong and loud. loved the "easy" button. so appropriate!

The Rube
11-02-2014, 11:29 AM
just for some background for the newbies. we've developed a friendly rivalry over the years with Minnesota, with each teams visiting the other arenas. lots of co-tailgating, visiting each other Blue Line Club luncheons, friendly relations and yes, even a mixed marriage! and a little Gopher / Husky baby. we've had a lot of fun with near fights between coaches, tDon Lucia's hair and John Scott's infamous holding off of two Minnesota players at once. (anyone still have that picture?) basically, most of us cheer for the others team, probably even more so that we are now in different leagues. if there are jabs its usually in good fun. a group of Minnesota fans make a yearly trek to Houghton, often in awful weather, to watch a Minnesota team play, but many cheer for Tech.

Mel mentioned at BL lunch that he was continuing talks with tDon to get a Minnesota series on the schedule, but it was hard because Minnesota wanted to get in the state schools first. but talks are ongoing. Mel said he reminded Don that they played against each other in the Minnesota High School Championships and that Mel's team had won. :)

This should work:

http://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10628102_10204204926496432_5819480813742874809_n.j pg?oh=dd26c0fed3f4d30acf761f3cbdc38d12&oe=54DCD986

huskyfan
11-02-2014, 11:33 AM
This should work:

http://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10628102_10204204926496432_5819480813742874809_n.j pg?oh=dd26c0fed3f4d30acf761f3cbdc38d12&oe=54DCD986

beautiful. oh the wingspan! hey Brent, where do you stay for the final five?

The Rube
11-02-2014, 12:01 PM
beautiful. oh the wingspan! hey Brent, where do you stay for the final five?

I stay at home. :p
I have stayed at the Crown Plaza before. I liked it. And we lost the tailgate lot. Looking for a new one. :(

HuskyNation
11-02-2014, 12:57 PM
I stay at home. :p
I have stayed at the Crown Plaza before. I liked it. And we lost the tailgate lot. Looking for a new one. :(

I've stayed at the Crowne Plaza before as well. Nice space.
Although I highly recommend the place where "Two Trees may be involved" in St. Louis Park, across kitty-corner from a certain bar named for a certain Country Music star.

Flashy Man
11-02-2014, 01:16 PM
I've stayed at the Crowne Plaza before as well. Nice space.
Although I highly recommend the place where "Two Trees may be involved" in St. Louis Park, across kitty-corner from a certain bar named for a certain Country Music star.

The Crowne Plaza is currently being renovated into an Intercontinental.

Broseph Stalin
11-02-2014, 01:57 PM
Great win and well deserved. I'd also like to ask... when was the last time we sold out and when was the last time we sold out two consecutive games. I have no memory of anything like that. BS, is all wet. We like the big and want them in our building. Use your brain BS, think before you speak is a good thing. We get a lot by the big coming up to Houghton. Much more than they get by us going to them. It was a huge favor for Michigan to come up, same for MSU last year.

I would like to see a few things change at the Mac too. Better food, more bathrooms, more suites, and MORE SEATS!.

Huskies number 1 Baby.!!

We like the big 10? I don't. I don't care for the 2 for 1 deals even when they throw us some cash. I don't like taking home games away from the kids when they're the ones paying tuition. Home games are part of the experience for which they are paying. Our home is called the John MacInnes STUDENT Ice Arena. I'll take your advice about using my brain, but as you probably know allegiances to sports teams are inherently illogical. Tech has sucked for two generations but lots of us continue to write checks to support the program. Reasonable people say I'm wasting my resources. I tell them the same thing I tell any other critic, and that's not something I'll repeat publicly. Thanks though.

Broseph Stalin
11-02-2014, 02:44 PM
Um, I said the B1G is weak, except for MN. :p

WI is a train wreck (ha ha, Barry!), MI has lost its luster, and frankly, the other schools are consistently not good at all.

Take a lesson from the elders in your fanbase. Don't get too lippy, just enjoy the ride. :)

I appreciate all the free advice. The opinions expressed by individuals on this website don't speak for the fanbase- they're one slice of a much greater pie. My advice to you is to take a jab without getting riled up or getting personal. This is a game. If you aren't having fun you should find a different hobby.

I enjoy the ride whether the team wins or loses. I like the kids they are putting on the ice because they represent the school so well. It's a miracle you can find kids bright enough to pass the classes and still athletic enough to play at a high level. Reid Sturos is a prime example. He's a winner.

As far as the Big 10, they're special this year. Minnesota can be the king of the cupcakes and that's good for them. They're still a dangerous team regardless of their weak conference. They'll probably make the Frozen Four with the cupcake autobid, and they may well win the championship. They're just going to have a lot of frosting to clean up along the way. Since we're all about giving advice I'd say make sure you grease the pan before cooking and use a spatula instead of a spoon for the icing. Buttermilk is high in calories but when you're eating a cupcake you're not trying to eat healthy you're trying to enjoy yourself. Now go enjoy yourself, but not with such a serious attitude.

JohnsonsJerseys
11-02-2014, 03:06 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa... Let's slow our roll a little bit. Bi6 "easy games"... "cupcake teams"... Let's be realistic here. Show me one person who thought Michigan was going to be two easy wins BEFORE the season started? Not schedule the Bi6 teams because it hurts our strength of schedule? I don't know if I would go that far.

Now when the season ends, we may look back and say that playing certain teams hurt us, but I don't see anyone on the schedule that was put there because they were going to be "easy". That has not been the staff's plan since day one. They have always tried to schedule the best possible teams to get that tough non-conference schedule should the NCAA committee be looking at our body of work. The games against Michigan last year and this year were no doubt aided by the many years Mel and Red shared behind the bench at Michigan. Will they continue to play us frequently, I would honestly say no. Not because they are not good games, but I would say the GLI is the biggest hurdle to MTU and Michigan playing a normal non-conference series on a regular basis. I could see that becoming an every 3 or 4 year thing so that most players on the team will play them once. The same could be said for MichSU and Western. I think playing them as often as possible is good for the program by increasing exposure with down-state MTU alumni. But again, if the GLI is going to become a Michigan tourney, then I think that again would cause other Michigan teams to not really want to schedule the Huskies. "We see you guys at GLI almost every other year..."

As for other top teams, as I stated previously the need for non-conference games by the Bi6 and NCHC will get the Huskies games against those teams should Mel see a benefit in playing them. I expect they will be 1 for 1 deals or Mel will look elsewhere. I also expect that Mel will continue to try and find one series a year that benefits a "growing" program and do for others what many have done for the Huskies over the years.

If the Huskies continue to win over the years this will also drive the top teams to Houghton. Not only will they need NC games, but they will also want to play a top team without having to travel 1000s of miles. Winning solves many problems and scheduling is just one of them that will take care of itself if the team takes care of business on the ice.

If our biggest problem is that our "tough" non-conference schedule is actually hurting our ranking, that's a good problem in my opinion.

Go Tech!
Ryan J

HuskyNation
11-02-2014, 03:48 PM
I appreciate all the free advice. The opinions expressed by individuals on this website don't speak for the fanbase- they're one slice of a much greater pie.

While that may be true, we have an image as a fanbase to uphold as well. Just because we are finding success in ONE SEASON after 30+ seasons of misery, doesn't mean we get to become arrogant *****holes overnight.

Sure, we should to celebrate our victories and success. No one is arguing that the B1G mistake is strong, we all know they are not having their best season......so far. This is still a very young season, and many things can happen between now and March.

If you feel the need to be a dick, fine, whatever. Just remember, what goes around comes around - and we've been in their current position, waaaay more than they have.

MeanEgirl
11-02-2014, 04:54 PM
I enjoy the ride whether the team wins or loses. I like the kids they are putting on the ice because they represent the school so well. It's a miracle you can find kids bright enough to pass the classes and still athletic enough to play at a high level. Reid Sturos is a prime example. He's a winner.I may be the first on USCHO to agree with something you say...?

While that may be true, we have an image as a fanbase to uphold as well. Just because we are finding success in ONE SEASON after 30+ seasons of misery, doesn't mean we get to become arrogant *****holes overnight.

Sure, we should to celebrate our victories and success. No one is arguing that the B1G mistake is strong, we all know they are not having their best season......so far. This is still a very young season, and many things can happen between now and March.

If you feel the need to be a dick, fine, whatever. Just remember, what goes around comes around - and we've been in their current position, waaaay more than they have.I'm glad that Tech fans are enjoying this very, VERY young season so far... but there is so much more to go. It does make me sad to see everyone get such big heads already. Remember your roots, people! Where has the humbleness gone? I can already tell that my fellow Tech fans *expect* to win every night. Weird. I'm still hoping for wins every night... one game at a time. I think that when you go from hoping to win a game expecting to win a game, the victory itself loses its value.

This weekend versus UAA should be a good matchup. It's so awesome to see UAA doing well. Hopefully they'll suck this weekend and do well the rest of the way. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them leave Houghton with some points.

The Rube
11-02-2014, 05:03 PM
I appreciate all the free advice. The opinions expressed by individuals on this website don't speak for the fanbase- they're one slice of a much greater pie. My advice to you is to take a jab without getting riled up or getting personal. This is a game. If you aren't having fun you should find a different hobby.

I enjoy the ride whether the team wins or loses. I like the kids they are putting on the ice because they represent the school so well. It's a miracle you can find kids bright enough to pass the classes and still athletic enough to play at a high level. Reid Sturos is a prime example. He's a winner.

As far as the Big 10, they're special this year. Minnesota can be the king of the cupcakes and that's good for them. They're still a dangerous team regardless of their weak conference. They'll probably make the Frozen Four with the cupcake autobid, and they may well win the championship. They're just going to have a lot of frosting to clean up along the way. Since we're all about giving advice I'd say make sure you grease the pan before cooking and use a spatula instead of a spoon for the icing. Buttermilk is high in calories but when you're eating a cupcake you're not trying to eat healthy you're trying to enjoy yourself. Now go enjoy yourself, but not with such a serious attitude.

You're so cute when you have your chest all puffed out. :D