This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2014-2015

I'm not hoping for a split this weekend, hopefully they sweep. I'm sure the team is going into this thinking that they can win both, they have high expectations, by all accounts, and hopefully they meet them. Is a split more realistic? Sure it is, but that doesn't mean that this team doesn't have the ability to go in there and take 4 points.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Finally game day! Here's the Mining Gazette article on Blacklock from yesterday.
      http://www.mininggazette.com/page/co....html?nav=5009

Blacklock took leap of faith

October 23, 2014
      By Brandon Veale - DMG Sports Editor (bveale@mininggazette.com) , The Daily Mining Gazette

HOUGHTON - Mason Blacklock's arrival in Houghton this fall was the culmination of a 2,000-mile leap of faith.
      Blacklock, a freshman forward on the Michigan Tech hockey team, signed with the Huskies without ever having visited the campus in person.
      He did have some good advice from recent recruits (and British Columbia Hockey Leaguers) Alex Petan and Jujhar Khaira.

Michigan Tech freshman Mason Blacklock moves the puck forward during the team’s intrasquad scrimmage Oct. 11 at MacInnes Student Ice Arena. (DMG photo by David Archambeau)

"They (Tech) just made me feel like a special person in the recruiting process and they seemed really honest the entire time and they always had an interest, so I kind of felt like they were loyal to me and not only interested in me as a player, but a person," Blacklock said.

Starting school at Tech turned out to match many of the descriptions he was given, he said, though one big white factor has yet to arrive.

"It was kind of what I thought it would be. They were always talking about how much snow there was here, and it was sunny, nice weather, so it was a bit different in that regard, but it was good hard practices and stuff. It took a bit of getting used to but it wasn't like I was too surprised by anything," he said.

His hometown, White Rock, B.C., is just south of Vancouver, just north of the U.S. border and just east of the Pacific Ocean, but he had a chance to tour the whole province during four seasons in the BCHL, in which he played more than 170 games.

Blacklock played for Langley, Nanaimo and Surrey before playing his last year and a half with the Vernon Vipers. The Vipers had a unique opportunity last season as hosts of the 2014 RBC Cup, the national championship of Canadian junior hockey.

The Vipers got their bid by virtue of being the home team, but they had a legitimate run, reaching the semifinals before losing to the eventual champs.

"We didn't end up winning, which was kind of too bad, but it was cool to see the best junior teams in Canada, measure yourself against those players and see where you stack up," he said.

Blacklock blossomed offensively in Vernon, recording career highs in goals, assists and points last season with an 18-12-30 in 28 regular season games.

"You're playing against some really good players every night and practicing with some good players, so you just kind of get better every day," he said.

After four years spent mostly focused on hockey, he said it's been a change to have books to hit as well. He's majoring in business administration.

"You've got to really manage your free time well. Once you leave the rink, it's not just hang out like it used to be in juniors. You've got to go and do your schoolwork, study and stuff like that, pretty much do everything you can to be ready to come to the rink the next day and work hard," he said.

He describes his game as being a big (6-foot-1, 195), hardworking player with some offensive skill that can put the puck in the net but be effective all over the ice.

"I'm hoping I can be a leader at some point, but just a hardworking guy that gives it his all every night and hopefully can contribute on the scoreboard," he said.

Comment

Should be a fun one tonight. Some interesting stats about Ferris that will be revealed in the pregame radio broadcast tonight, so make sure you're taking notes. See you in Big Rapids, Huskies fans!

Comment

Amyone else having issues with the wcha feed after the first period? Its like they stopped broadcasting

Comment

• Originally posted by oldish husky View Post
            Amyone else having issues with the wcha feed after the first period? Its like they stopped broadcasting
            Yep . . . dead for most of the 2nd.

How 'bout them Huskies!!

Comment

Nice set of photos here. What's with the Ferris State student section and their shirts that apparently laud jockstraps ("PROTECT CUP")? Those fans are true athletic supporters, I guess...
              Last edited by redwing61; 10-24-2014, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Nice job Huskies!

Comment

Big Win!

Mel's postgame interview:
                  Good game, happy for our players
                  Real good performance, most guys had a pretty good game
                  We're finding a way to win on the road early in the season
                  We played well without the puck, little too stagnant on the 5x3
                  We had good back pressure, take the middle of the ice away, real good job
                  Roy had a good game, last 37 seconds Billy had him on, asked if he was sure, credit to Billy, have to trust him, had the right guys out
                  Draining game, right back at it tomorrow, we'll look at tape and most guys had a good game
                  They're excited in that locker room, told them Mel's not surprised
                  Will be watching/cheering for the football team

Comment

Way to take those guys down!

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

GFM
                      Shutting out a team with high expectations on their ice. The Huskies have definitely turned a corner.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

GFM
                        I used to cheer for you guys, when you were underdogs. Now you're the favorites. This might take some getting used to, but here goes - Come on, Ferris! Take down the league leaders and get a split!

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                          I used to cheer for you guys, when you were underdogs. Now you're the favorites. This might take some getting used to, but here goes - Come on, Ferris! Take down the league leaders and get a split!
                          I understand your dilemma and your loyalty to your team...and your tongue-in-cheek, backhanded compliment is appreciated (thank you!)...but can you really pull for FSU?

Comment

Originally posted by lawdoggies View Post
                            I understand your dilemma and your loyalty to your team...and your tongue-in-cheek, backhanded compliment is appreciated (thank you!)...but can you really pull for FSU?
                            Good point, but I can't figure a way out of this. It's like Alien vs. Predator: Whoever wins, we all lose

Comment

That was an ugly goal but we deserved the win. The guys played their butts off. I liked Pietila out there. He is like a plow truck out there moving people around. I also like how aggressive Phillips was in goal and how when things got physical we answered the bell. Very happy with the effort all around!

Comment

fun fun fun game! our first visit to Ferris. very small arena. seating on one side and the ends only. benches and penalty box on the other side.
                                low ceiling. we liked it. very intimate could feel the action. I thought the t-shirts were clever - "protect this cup" and a picture of the MacNaughton.
                                good band and large student section (for such a small arena) Tech fans had an ok show, will be much better tonight as there is an alumni event and the tickets are sold out.

geez. the team looked good. wow. as fast as I've seen a Tech team. doubts about Phillips? forget about it. defense? solid. still wish we got the puck in the net more, but Motte is very good. I dont think Ferris saw this coming. the team and the fans were a tad ... disgruntled ... shall we say after the game. we may have a good rivalry in the making here.

what happens tonight? Ferris will either on their toes or shaken. Tech will be complacent or hungry for more points.
                                Last edited by huskyfan; 10-25-2014, 10:01 AM.
                                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Working...
                                X