X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2014-2015

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    Great video - As a player, after only a couple minutes of watching that, it makes me want to put my skates on and get skating. Loved the subtle motivations "I'll bet you don't skate as fast as him...", "first time you scored on your brother, you get the puck...", etc.
    Ryan J
    Sure looked like a great recruiting video. He's keeping practice fun...
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I'm sure they edited down an hour plus to make that video and get all the fun moments. However you also see the hockey mind at work asking Bill how to make the drill more effective, to better simulate game situations. Don't just go through the motions, everything for a reason. I wonder if that is where some of our past staffs fell short? Maybe they did the exact same drills, ran the same practices, etc, but without the focus on the small details or the intensity, you don't likely end up with the same results. Now, I will also acknowledge that there seems to be more talent heading to Houghton as well, but you don't win on talent alone. There are plenty of teams with way more talent that haven't won much more than the Huskies.
      Ryan J
      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
      Originally posted by geezer
      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
      Originally posted by manurespreader
      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

The first big test to see if the team can take at least one on the road. I am cautiously confident that Tech can take care of business this weekend and come home with at least 2 points. I would expect from Mel's comments that Vallis and L'Esperance will travel.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
          Great video - As a player, after only a couple minutes of watching that, it makes me want to put my skates on and get skating. Loved the subtle motivations "I'll bet you don't skate as fast as him...", "first time you scored on your brother, you get the puck...", etc.
          Ryan J
          Some of the big things Mel has going for him are his age, experience and sense of humor. As a coach I can tell you that players respond differently for a guy in his 50s than they do for a guy in his 30s or 40s. It takes experience and the right personality to motivate and inspire elite players in their teens and early 20s. These kids know all the drills by heart and have heard all the hockey cliches that coaches throw around. What makes all the difference is getting the kids to respect you, work hard for you and trust your instincts and advice. Word gets around about a coach's personality & demeanor and I believe Mel has one of the best reputations in college hockey when it comes to kids wanting to play for him. There are definitely coaches in D1 hockey that are known as a nightmare to play for.....lots of them at big name programs.

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
            Some of the big things Mel has going for him are his age, experience and sense of humor. As a coach I can tell you that players respond differently for a guy in his 50s than they do for a guy in his 30s or 40s. It takes experience and the right personality to motivate and inspire elite players in their teens and early 20s. These kids know all the drills by heart and have heard all the hockey cliches that coaches throw around. What makes all the difference is getting the kids to respect you, work hard for you and trust your instincts and advice. Word gets around about a coach's personality & demeanor and I believe Mel has one of the best reputations in college hockey when it comes to kids wanting to play for him. There are definitely coaches in D1 hockey that are known as a nightmare to play for.....lots of them at big name programs.
            Cough* Mike Eaves* Cough
            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

I don't think it's appropriate to name names but I can think of a few for sure. What surprises me is how they continue to get top players regardless.
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                Cough* Mike Eaves* Cough
                Bless you.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  I don't think it's appropriate to name names but I can think of a few for sure. What surprises me is how they continue to get top players regardless.
                  I don't think it's that surprising. Top flight players are willing to put up with hard-nosed coaches to play for Boston College or Wisconsin - nationally-renowned schools, in great cities, with big audiences, and good odds at a championship. There are a few coaches in every sport that simply get results, even when everyone knows they're tough on their teams. Plus, some players do find that kind of coaching style motivating.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    This is an internet message board, it is completely appropriate to say that Eaves is an *******.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                      This was entertaining!

Any guesses at who travels this weekend? D and Goalies are set due to injuries, and looking at forwards, maybe Vallis or Baltus make this road trip? It looks like Baltus played there both games last year.
                      my sources are telling me 5 freshmen made the trip. i'm assuming 3 forwards and two D. I would guess Gillies, Steman and L'Esperance up front along with Roy and Auk on the back end.
                      "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
                        my sources are telling me 5 freshmen made the trip. i'm assuming 3 forwards and two D. I would guess Gillies, Steman and L'Esperance up front along with Roy and Auk on the back end.
                        Sounds about right since all of them played opening weekend against LSSU. I'd be shocked if the lineup is much different than the LSSU series.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
                          5 skating freshmen? We know Devin is on the trip with Wintjes injured.

I thought we might see one less freshmen than LSSU with it being a tough building to play in.

Comment

Got my tickets for the UofM series. Pickings are quite slim...
                            MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                              Got my tickets for the UofM series. Pickings are quite slim...
                              Friday *might* be a sellout. Saturday will be sold out. When is the last time that happened? I remember a few games against Northern where people were lined 4 deep at the boards and standing up in the rafters.

I like our chances for a sweep against Michigan. Hopefully we get out of Big Rapids with a split.

Comment

great about the sellout(s)!! how much fun are those nights going to be?? I really hope we have a couple of points from this weekend going in.
                                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Working...
                                X