PDA

View Full Version : Ferris State University 2014-15......

Pages : [1] 2

Hammer
10-02-2014, 09:02 PM
It's two days before the season starts. We probably should have one of these.

I've got a few thoughts, but they're all over the place. CJ Motte returns for his senior season, and 5 of the top 6 defensemen return. Scott Czarnowczan has graduated, and that is a big loss, but for the most part, the rest of the defensive corps returns. The annual problems we have scoring goals reared its head in a big way last season in the NCAA tournament, but this is how we've done things for quite some time: defense and goaltending. It's probably going to be how we roll again this year.

I'm fine with things, from a program perspective. I thought about this a few times this summer. These truly are the best times the program has had in its history. 2 conference championships in 3 years, 2 NCAA tournament appearances, a run to the national championship game. There's 59 (I think) D-1 programs in NCAA. Roughly 50 or so of those programs would happily take what we've accomplished over the last 3-5 years. Don't believe me? Care to refute that? Check the standings and the NCAA tournament brackets the last few years. If we compete to the end for the conference championship, get in the NCAA's and get to the quarters again, I'd be very pleased, again. I can defend this program without tearing someone else's program apart quite easily.

I used to be a VERY, VERY fierce critic of Bob Daniels, due to the lack of success and the way his teams carried themselves on the ice. He has done an absolutely remarkable job in turning both of those aspects around. He warrants no criticism whatsoever on those fronts. The same can be said for the university at this point, at least from my vantage point. The foolish 5 PM starts are a thing of the past, the attendance is up, and the student section appears to be bigger than ever.

Those of us that support this program, both here and around the arena, have every reason to be proud of this program. These are some good times. Let's enjoy this.

One more thing I'm going to address. While I am going to be in Big Rapids on Saturday night, I do not watch this team play all that much anymore. That's why I didn't write much of a preview. It's hard to comment on things you don't see with your own two eyes. If there is going to be much life to this thread, it's going to have to come from other Ferris supporters around here. I'll be around, but it's on you guys, now.

See you Saturday night.

streaker
10-03-2014, 08:01 PM
It's a fair write-up, Hammer. I need to see how Ferris will replace 133 points between losing four forwards and Czar. I know there is a good core up front- at least six guys had decent numbers last season. What's the word on your incoming freshmen? Obviously the defense, with 3 seniors and a juniors along with Motte will be the strength.

Hammer
10-04-2014, 05:20 PM
First one in the arena. :)

blackswampboy
10-04-2014, 06:37 PM
kick weasel butt.

your WCHA friends.

Hammer
10-04-2014, 07:08 PM
3-0 Ferris, end 1

2 goals in the first 63 seconds.

Critical Thinker
10-04-2014, 07:13 PM
3-0 Ferris, end 1

2 goals in the first 63 seconds.

So this is why UMich dropped down to the B1G from the CCHA.

alfablue
10-04-2014, 07:17 PM
Dominic- great to see covering this game. Hope this leads to more.

Hammer
10-04-2014, 08:04 PM
4-1, end 2

Hammer
10-04-2014, 09:08 PM
Ferris hangs on 4-3

Much more later. Ive got a 3 hour drive.

Hockey John
10-04-2014, 09:35 PM
Good Job Ferris! Way to show the Weasels the door!

purpleinnebraska
10-04-2014, 10:09 PM
Nice win! Keep carrying that WCHA banner!

UMICH
10-04-2014, 10:19 PM
First one in the arena. :)

It only holds 4 people so that's not much of an accomplishment...

On a serious note nice win. You wanted it more and it showed.

hattrick16
10-04-2014, 11:13 PM
Great win! Scoring two goals so quickly really helped. I hope we can average four goals a game this year. UM clawed their way back in though. Can't let that kind of stuff happen.

Great start to the season!

vizoroo
10-04-2014, 11:50 PM
Nice win.
*I always enjoy seeing the weasels lose.:p

Hammer
10-05-2014, 12:58 PM
Wow. Tremendous game last night. We came out smoking, and then to get the shorty last in the 2nd to put us up 4-1 was huge.

As for the atmosphere and the student section...incredible. You guys outdid yourselves last night. I don't think I've ever seen our student section that full that early. And to have that energy all night. Absolutely awesome.

Le_Coq_Grande
11-17-2014, 07:26 AM
I think the bulldawgs are going to be alright this year, starting off a little slower than we have become accustomed to in the past 4 or 5 years. But it was nice to see the offensive explosion this weekend. AA isn't a bad team, we caught them on the back end of a long road trip. The fact that Ferris put up two touchdowns on the weekend, shows they do have the offensive ability, they just need to get it rolling. Go Dawgs!!

Shirtless Guy
12-16-2014, 01:46 PM
GLI thread:
http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?111577-50th-GLI-of-2014-Huskies-Wolverines-Spartans-and-Bulldogs-oh-my!

Hammer
12-28-2014, 10:28 PM
There have been about as many posts in this thread as there have been goals scored by Ferris this year.

It is a complete crying shame that CJ Motte's senior year is going to be completely wasted by a total lack of offensive production. He gave up one goal tonight. And got beat.

We could be brutal next year.

gfmorris
01-07-2015, 05:17 PM
There have been about as many posts in this thread as there have been goals scored by Ferris this year.

It is a complete crying shame that CJ Motte's senior year is going to be completely wasted by a total lack of offensive production. He gave up one goal tonight. And got beat.

We could be brutal next year.

Do you have good kids coming in? I mean, you can always find a diamond in the rough on the goaltending front —*UAH picked up Carmine Guerriero at the last moment —*but scorers are harder to get.

Here's the thing: with Dahlström out and Alaska ineligible, home ice seems like it's the Bulldogs' to have, but it really feels like they're vulnerable to a push by Bemidji (who has definitely taken a lot of punches to the mouth this year) or even UAH (in Carmine we trust). Is there an offensive turn coming in Big Rapids?

GFM

Le_Coq_Grande
01-08-2015, 07:14 AM
Do you have good kids coming in? I mean, you can always find a diamond in the rough on the goaltending front —*UAH picked up Carmine Guerriero at the last moment —*but scorers are harder to get.

Here's the thing: with Dahlström out and Alaska ineligible, home ice seems like it's the Bulldogs' to have, but it really feels like they're vulnerable to a push by Bemidji (who has definitely taken a lot of punches to the mouth this year) or even UAH (in Carmine we trust). Is there an offensive turn coming in Big Rapids?

GFM

Our back up goalie has been out all year. He is going to be legit! He will have two years left since he took the medical redshirt! So in net we will be good for a couple more years. I don't know who we have coming in to score goals!!