LSSU Lakers 2014-15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Lakers 2014-15

Didn't Union say they go after the older player that most teams have passed over and they are becoming a dominate team the last couple years now.

Comment

Originally posted by LakerBuff View Post
      We'll see. Whitten isn't done yet! This is, in fact, stockpiling, as it's not a tactic LSSU has ever used in it's history of recruiting. So by comparison, it is stockpiling.

Also, I posted the article to show JNACC that Jeff Jackson never employed such recruiting tactics. He did and does it the old fashioned way (as referenced in the article). JNACC was trying to say that we haven't had the caliber of recruits at LSSU since Jackson, and that Whitten is in the right track by stockpiling. And I'm saying you don't have to stockpile to find them, as evidenced by the teams Jackson recruited.
      Go back and re-read the article you posted a link to. Also check the recruiting web sites. Jeff Jackson isn't doing it the "old fashioned" way anymore. Notre Dame has at least seven 16 and 17 year old kids committed and even a 15 year old. Jackson says he wishes that kids couldn't be recruited until they were 17 but he's smart enough to know he has to go after younger kids because most everyone else is doing it plus they have Canadian Major Junior to contend with. It is what it is.

As far as stockpiling goes, how could you possibly presume to know what Damon Whitten's intent is with his recruits? Or are you redefining stockpiling (as used in the article) to suit your own purposes?

Geezer is right. Recruiting has changed significantly since Jackson's days at LSSU.
      Last edited by Bill; 10-16-2014, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
        Didn't Union say they go after the older player that most teams have passed over and they are becoming a dominate team the last couple years now.
        They don't restrict their recruiting to older players. They have at least three 17 year olds committed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill View Post
          Davy, I believe he was referring to the LakerBuff post.
          Possibly. As for that one, if Damon is "stockpiling," it is a way to make up some ground in the recruiting wars. And verbals are non binding so there really isn't an issue. Players commit then flip all the time. There are plenty of guys, even with signed LOIs, that skip out and go to Major Junior leaving a big hole in that recruiting class. Covering one's backside is a wise move.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
            Go back and re-read the article you posted a link to. Also check the recruiting web sites. Jeff Jackson isn't doing it the "old fashioned" way anymore. Notre Dame has at least seven 16 and 17 year old kids committed and even a 15 year old. Jackson says he wishes that kids couldn't be recruited until they were 17 but he's smart enough to know he has to go after younger kids because most everyone else is doing it plus they have Canadian Major Junior to contend with. It is what it is.

As far as stockpiling goes, how could you possibly presume to know what Damon Whitten's intent is with his recruits? Or are you redefining stockpiling (as used in the article) to suit your own purposes?

Geezer is right. Recruiting has changed significantly since Jackson's days at LSSU.

Jeff Jackson "stockpiles" like every other school. He has a 99 birthdate verbally committed. Apparently, Buff thinks it's 1988.
            "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

By 'old fashioned way' I am referring to Jackson honoring the gentlemen's agreement and not stockpiling players. I fully realize that Jackson recruits young blue chippers. Your problem, Bill, is that you ALWAYS like to be right and you want the entire forum to know you're right. If someone comes along and makes a good point, or thinks of something you haven't brought up or posted - it just kills you! And that's when you get all self-righteous and bully the people who post any opposing viewpoints. I'm sick of it. And I'm sure there are others on here who are too.

Now I suppose I'm going to be labeled a Roquette again. That's your good old 'standby' comment for anyone who opposes you. Well, that's wearing thin too. Yes, some of us are unhappy with the hiring of Damon Whitten, but it isn't necessarily because we're Roquettes. I, for one, am unhappy with the half-*****ed hiring process - specifically the fact that certain qualified individuals were not granted interviews and the fact that the process was steamrolled through without a proper search committee. Without rehashing all that, I will say that I don't believe Lake State got the RIGHT coach because the process was botched.

Comment

• Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
                Jeff Jackson "stockpiles" like every other school. He has a 99 birthdate verbally committed. Apparently, Buff thinks it's 1988.
                Do you understand the definition of stockpiling? Jackson does NOT stockpile.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                  I understand the concern, but it's not accurate at this point. LSSU has at best an average number of recruits in the pipeline, I think they're just now playing catch-up to get up to a minimal competitive level. They are not approaching the numbers of BC, Michigan, Minnesota, etc. They don't even have as many commits as Tech, Mankato, or Northern.
                  this.
                  10 recruits over the next three years is hardly "stockpiling". an average number, nothing more.
                  Air Force, UNH, Northeastern...now there's some stockpiling.

sheesh, LSSU fans never cease to amaze in their ability to find creative new self-flagellation techniques.
                  "uh-oh, our recruiting is improving, can't be happy with that...time to peel some flesh off our own backs! thwack!"
                  congrats on your new coach and his recruiting get.
                  Last edited by blackswampboy; 10-16-2014, 06:20 PM.
                  Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 • SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

• Originally posted by blackswampboy View Post
                    this.
                    10 recruits over the next three years is hardly "stockpiling". an average number, nothing more.
                    Air Force, UNH, Northeastern...now there's some stockpiling.

sheesh, LSSU fans never cease to amaze in their ability to find creative new self-flagellation techniques.
                    "uh-oh, our recruiting is improving, can't be happy with that...time to peel some flesh off our own backs! thwack!"
                    congrats on your new coach and his recruiting get.

I know right.
                    BLEED BLUE

Comment

They don't restrict their recruiting to older players. They have at least three 17 year olds committed.
                      I believe the coach was saying for the most part their players are older that other teams passed by . I am sure most try to get whom they can regardless of age these days.

Comment

• Originally posted by LakerBuff View Post
                        Do you understand the definition of stockpiling? Jackson does NOT stockpile.
                        Do you? On the one hand you are saying that Jackson does not stockpile by virtue of the fact that he honors the gentleman's agreement. On the other hand you say Whitten is stockpiling. Which players has Whitten recruited that originally commited elsewhere? i.e. Where has he not honored the gentleman's agreement? If you don't have a firm answer to that with supprorting evidence, then it appears you are using different definitions of stockpiling for each coach.

Strictly from a numbers standpoint, Notre Dame has more players in the recruiting pipeline than LSSU does.
                        Last edited by Bill; 10-16-2014, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Whitten is doing what Pearson did his first three years - fill the pipeline with guys that can play the speed/possession scheme that you want to implement. It's a phenomenon that is not limited to hockey. In fact, I think D1 football tends to be even more ruthless. At least new hockey coaches rarely make cuts to the rosters they inherit (and if they do, it's typically just one or two players).

If you want to call that stockpiling, then I guess you're out of touch with college sports.

Comment

If luring top rated recruits is deemed to be "stock piling" then I am all for it! Honestly people, this is a very very positive development and we have some whiners still complaining and hurling negatives just because they did not like the way the current coach was hired....****ing ridiculous!!

If these were your typical over-age Jimbo Roque style recruits, then yes I would call it stock piling but Whitten has bagged some serious talent...talent that hasn't been seen in these parts in a veeeery long time...hence the reference to Jackson....but what ever, as the old saying goes haters will hate but they will always be losers!

Comment

That is a great article that you posted. For you to claim Whitten is stockpiling, however, is clueless and wreckless on your part. You look like a bigger fool with every post you make.

Originally posted by LakerBuff View Post
                              Whitten is doing something called stockpiling. Hoping to commit kids early and see how they pan out. Personally I think it's a bad strategy - unethical even - but many schools do it. Bigger schools can get away with it because of their school reputation. I don't think Lake State can afford to do this.

Further, Jeff Jackson did not recruit in this manner, nor does he condone stockpiling. Read the article listed below. It's very interesting and clearly illustrates Jackson's opinion on the practice.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new..._agreement.php

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill View Post
                                Do you? On the one hand you are saying that Jackson does not stockpile by virtue of the fact that he honors the gentleman's agreement. On the other hand you say Whitten is stockpiling. Which players has Whitten recruited that originally commited elsewhere? i.e. Where has he not honored the gentleman's agreement? If you don't have a firm answer to that with supprorting evidence, then it appears you are using different definitions of stockpiling for each coach.

Strictly from a numbers standpoint, Notre Dame has more players in the recruiting pipeline than LSSU does.
                                When all is said and done, Whitten will have a nice stockpile of recruits - more than enough - so when they start de-commiting, he'll still have a roster to work with. Speculation at this point, but that's what they do at Tech and that's what he knows. I find it to be an unethical recruiting process - but hey, I'm old school.

Comment

Working...
                                X