Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Lakers 2014-15

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
    Also we will be going to Michigan State next year with them returning the trip to the Sault in 2016-17. We will also be in the Icebreaker tournament in Maine (in Portland, Maine) in October. Damon wasn't sure about us being in the Shillelagh Tournament if it was next season or in 2016-17.
    You beat me to it. I'll delete my post about the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Laker Dude View Post
      For some reason, I seem to remember that the Icebreaker tournament games are exempt. So the Lakers could still have 1 more non-conference series if they are not in the Shillelagh Tournament next season.
      Yes the Icebreaker games are exempt as well as games that are played at both Alaska schools. We play at both Alaska and UAA again next season so we could play as many as six NC series if we wanted. I sure hope we can get at least one more home series if we don't play in the Shillelagh Tournament next season.
      Last edited by LSSULaker889294; 01-13-2015, 12:55 PM.
      LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill View Post
        Arizona State will be a home non-conference opponent next season.
        Good to see ASU getting some D1 games for next season.
        Last edited by #1collegehockeyfan; 01-13-2015, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
          Yes the Icebreaker games are exempt as well as games that are played at both Alaska schools. We play at both Alaska and UAA again next season so we could play as many as six NC series if we wanted. I sure hope we can get at least one more home series if we don't play in the Shillelagh Tournament next season.
          Did they mention if they would have to make 2 separate trips to Alaska again? Or will they be one of the teams that makes a week long trip?

Comment

Did they mention if they would have to make 2 separate trips to Alaska again? Or will they be one of the teams that makes a week long trip?
            I'm not sure.
            LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Sounds as though each team in the conference petitions and then is assigned those back-to-back games and we just haven't had the luck of the draw yet and probably won't next year.
              The Shillelagh (sp?) tourney sounds like it's 2 years down the road but it's nice to hear that they're going to play in the VT holiday tourney since the FCHC didn't invite the tourney CHAMPS back
              It'll be nice to have this home and home series with MSU, I think they're at a level right now under Anastos where they'd be one of the easier B1G teams for us to play but we'll see. Also it'll be nice to get Notre Dame back. Should be good crowds on hand for those games.
              I think the ASU series next year is underrated but could have major implications on the future of the conference. It's no secret that the WCHA and NCHC are both trying to add ASU down the road. It'll be interesting to see what impression they get of our facilities and some of the other WCHA teams and hopefully they find it a good fit because that will be a major draw for whichever conference adds them.

But, back to this season, who's going out to the games this weekend? Should be entertaining and hopefully well contested games. Bemidji has been on a recent tear but the Lakers are beginning to show signs of life. I'm hoping we can get a little cushion between us and the Seawolves who have a pretty tough matchup against Alaska this weekend. Also hopefully the rivals help em out a little bit and sweep the Chargers this weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lakers-88-92-94 View Post
                I think the ASU series next year is underrated but could have major implications on the future of the conference. It's no secret that the WCHA and NCHC are both trying to add ASU down the road.
                Yes, ASU will determine the future make up of both leagues.Like Notre Dame did a couple of years ago.

Comment

I should ask Corbett about that sometime. You're only going to have to go to Alaska twice in the same year twice in nine years, so I guess the question is if you get a league guarantee that you get to do it one of those two times.

Of course, it's unlikely to really matter too much with further western upheaval likely.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by #1collegehockeyfan View Post
                    Yes, ASU will determine the future make up of both leagues.Like Notre Dame did a couple of years ago.
                    Tread lightly.

Comment

I looked at the schedules and the travel distance between teams now in the WCHA and NCHC and it just doesn't make any sense that they will continue to pay out the extra cost to keep the teams in the same leagues. Look at Notre Dame this coming weekend. They play Conn. at home Friday and than travel out there to play them Sunday for one game. With Az. coming unto the scene,what league will want that travel distance when we already have the two Alaska teams and no one is thrilled about that trip. I still say forming the Big Ten league ( and why they still call a league with thirteen teams the Big Ten ) was a huge mistake for college hockey.
                      Last edited by sm2pk; 01-15-2015, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                        I look at the schedules and the travel distance between teams now in the WCHA and NCHC and it just make no sense that they will continue to pay out the extra cost to keep the teams in the same leagues. Look at Notre Dame this coming weekend. They play Conn. at home Friday and than travel out there to play them Sunday for one game. With Az. coming unto the scene,what league will want that travel distance when we already have the two Alaska teams and no one is thrilled about that trip. I still say forming the Big Ten league ( and why they still call a league with thirteen teams the Big Ten ) was a huge mistake for college hockey.
                        Notre Dame has deep pockets so I don't think travel costs are a big issue with them. If it were, they could have went with the NCHC. I still think the NCHC makes the most sense for Arizona State, both geographically and cost wise. I just don't see many of the WCHA schools wanting to take on the additional travel costs of flying to Arizona (unless AS is willing to subsidize travel costs). Of course the much speculated about reshuffling of the Western conferences could be the key thing that changes everything around.

Comment

Bill, I just don't think in the long run they will want to keep paying higher travel cost when they can make leagues more regional as they were before the Big Ten came along. Notre Dame may have deep pockets but everyone is always trying to save a buck.

Comment

All I am saying is that both Bill Robertson and Josh Fenton have expressed interest in getting ASU in a few years. It may not make sense for our school, being that we have budgetary issues but to say either conference cares more about the travel expenses of the schools more than they care about bringing in a big fish like ASU is completely ludicrous. All that matters at the end of the day for these conferences is money. Plain and simple. That's how the people in the conference offices keep their jobs. Not to mention that the WCHA has no loyalty to any of the former CCHA schools, maybe Ferris because they've been successful and are a top name in the conference. If the WCHA could drop either LSSU or UAH today and pick up an ASU squad that was D I ready, I have no doubt in my mind they would do it.
                            I'm not sitting here trying to proclaim that ASU is going to be making Frozen Fours, all I am saying is they have an international alumni base and a huge student body from all over the world that will probably help fill the seats. These conferences will have a new market where they can advertise and get their brand out there.
                            It's not unlike B1G going out and getting Maryland and Rutgers to have pieces of the NYC and DC television markets. Do you think the B1G cares if Purdue all of a sudden doesn't want them to go after those schools due to travel costs?

Comment

Originally posted by Lakers-88-92-94 View Post
                              All I am saying is that both Bill Robertson and Josh Fenton have expressed interest in getting ASU in a few years. It may not make sense for our school, being that we have budgetary issues but to say either conference cares more about the travel expenses of the schools more than they care about bringing in a big fish like ASU is completely ludicrous. All that matters at the end of the day for these conferences is money. Plain and simple. That's how the people in the conference offices keep their jobs. Not to mention that the WCHA has no loyalty to any of the former CCHA schools, maybe Ferris because they've been successful and are a top name in the conference. If the WCHA could drop either LSSU or UAH today and pick up an ASU squad that was D I ready, I have no doubt in my mind they would do it.
                              I'm not sitting here trying to proclaim that ASU is going to be making Frozen Fours, all I am saying is they have an international alumni base and a huge student body from all over the world that will probably help fill the seats. These conferences will have a new market where they can advertise and get their brand out there.
                              It's not unlike B1G going out and getting Maryland and Rutgers to have pieces of the NYC and DC television markets. Do you think the B1G cares if Purdue all of a sudden doesn't want them to go after those schools due to travel costs?
                              Whatever happens with ASU, conferences like the scheduling ease of an even number of teams. If the WCHA gets ASU, who are we looking at? RMU? AFA?

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                                Whatever happens with ASU, conferences like the scheduling ease of an even number of teams. If the WCHA gets ASU, who are we looking at? RMU? AFA?
                                I think Robert Morris makes the most sense at this point, if they were to add another school. It'd be tough to say if they'd be interested in the tougher travel schedule but they would make sense being in Pitt and not a terrible travel for most of the Michigan teams. I think Air Force would be a good add to fill out the Western expansion. WCHA would probably want to continue to expand West instead of East.

Comment

Working...
                                X