Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2014/2015 - Wait 'Til Next Year!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2014/2015 - Wait 'Til Next Year!!!

My first time on the Board all season, and I have to admit I haven't been paying too much attention yet down here in 08559. Guess I've been preoccupied with our football team's run.

When I look at the current Ratings Percentage Index and see UNH ranked #66 and Alabama-Huntsville #67, I gather things are currently sub-optimal

Long way to go yet, and it could easily be worse I guess. Long time juggernaut Wisconsin is ranked dead last (59th of 59), and is 0-8-1. Yikes.

But just like us, their football team is awesome this year. I enjoyed watching them beat the bejeezus out of the Cornhuskers on national TV

Comment

• Originally posted by snively View Post
      My first time on the Board all season, and I have to admit I haven't been paying too much attention yet down here in 08559. Guess I've been preoccupied with our football team's run.

When I look at the current Ratings Percentage Index and see UNH ranked #46 and Alabama-Huntsville #47, I gather things are currently sub-optimal

Long way to go yet, and it could easily be worse I guess. Long time juggernaut Wisconsin is ranked dead last (59th of 59), and is 0-8-1. Yikes.

But just like us, their football team is awesome this year. I enjoyed watching them beat the bejeezus out of the Cornhuskers on national TV
      Just fixing your post, as UNH and Huntsville are a bit higher in RPI. And, Maine, NU, and UMass are worse. And, our basketball team beat BU! Welcome back, Snively. My brother visiting from Colorado and I tried driving to Durham for RPI game on Tuesday night, but the traffic was too much, so we retreated.
      Last edited by Snively65; 11-30-2014, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Any day the Snively's are reunited here on the USCHO board is a **** fine day I say! And yes, snively, the number one ranked UNH football team is poised to start what will hopefully be a run that ends in Frisco TX on January 10th with a long anticipated NC. Sean McDonnell has his team playing very well right now, but subscribing to the "one game at a time" idea, it's UNH vs the Rams of Fordham University this coming Saturday at Cowell Stadium. I hope all UNH hockey fans can put down their men's hockey pom poms temporarily and come out to cheer on the Cats.

"it's gonna be a fun ride"....Randy Moss

Comment

Originally posted by skyraider0609 View Post
          Any day the Snively's are reunited here on the USCHO board is a **** fine day I say! And yes, snively, the number one ranked UNH football team is poised to start what will hopefully be a run that ends in Frisco TX on January 10th with a long anticipated NC. Sean McDonnell has his team playing very well right now, but subscribing to the "one game at a time" idea, it's UNH vs the Rams of Fordham University this coming Saturday at Cowell Stadium. I hope all UNH hockey fans can put down their men's hockey pom poms temporarily and come out to cheer on the Cats.

"it's gonna be a fun ride"....Randy Moss
          hmmm...I dunno about puttin' down the hockey pom poms...but, I'll try Actually we are thinking of going to the game if there are tix left before we go to the BC game. Very exciting for UNH and I hope your dreams come true about getting a NC...great team, great coach!
          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
            You are so right Chuck. I can't imagine UNH winning back to back national titles without such standouts as Michael Hutchins, Dan Travis and Colin Bourque
            ... and of course the one and only Eddie Caron.

Of course, now I realize I misspoke and should have expressed my admiration of Minnesota winning their back-to-back NC's with only one non-in-state player. But I think you guys all figured that out despite me.

No one wants to take a stab at the final quiz question on the dynastic Edmonton Oilers and their prodigious SOG counts?
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
              hmmm...I dunno about puttin' down the hockey pom poms...but, I'll try Actually we are thinking of going to the game if there are tix left before we go to the BC game. Very exciting for UNH and I hope your dreams come true about getting a NC...great team, great coach!
              That's the spirit Ref!! Bring your UNH enthusiasm out to Cowell on Saturday and go for the daily double...football and then a hockey game that night. Heck, bring your pom poms! They'll work just as well across Main Street I'd say.

Comment

But, the hockey game is at Conte on Saturday night, so HR needs that football game to end in regulation, no?

Yes, Chuck, we all knew what you meant about in-state vs out-of-state Gophers, just like we all know that the Oilers probably lost all of those SOG championships, right? Except, for maybe e.cat. -)

Yep, Snively and I were both Durham townies, and we were there for the migration of UNH hockey from outdoors to indoors, although he is three years younger, from my brother's ORHS class.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  But, the hockey game is at Conte on Saturday night, so HR needs that football game to end in regulation, no?

Yes, Chuck, we all knew what you meant about in-state vs out-of-state Gophers, just like we all know that the Oilers probably lost all of those SOG championships, right? Except, for maybe e.cat. -)

Yep, Snively and I were both Durham townies, and we were there for the migration of UNH hockey from outdoors to indoors, although he is three years younger, from my brother's ORHS class.
                  Was just browsing tix will ask hubby if he wants to brave the projected weather of rain/snow . He's the football fan and actually played JV/Frosh ball at the U in 1976! Starts at 1...think the only tix left are Gen Admission. Will it be televised? Go 'Cats!
                  Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-30-2014, 10:48 AM.
                  I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    Yep, the Goofs pride themselves in having nearly all Minnesotan players; they have two freshman Swedes this year, and that is it for out-of-statahs.

But, my oh my, how far have we fallen, having to humor ourselves with trivia quizzes and the like this season. Even Nick P, Carmine (same person, right?), Sterlippo, and the rest of the BC fanboys have abandoned us this year.
                    I can assure you that the Gophs don't consider any Scandinavian native an out-of-statah! It's more of an extended commonwealth. Lutefisk, anyone??

Oh, and I too miss FSteve and the gang. There should be a formal weekend game thread this week.... Who will start it? Where's Gibber?
                    Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                      Was just browsing tix will ask hubby if he wants to brave the projected weather of rain/snow . He's the football fan and actually played JV/Frosh ball at the U in 1976! Starts at 1...think the only tix left are Gen Admission. Will it be televised? Go 'Cats!
                      ESPN3 broadcasts all games in the 1st and 2nd round.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                        ... and of course the one and only Eddie Caron.

Of course, now I realize I misspoke and should have expressed my admiration of Minnesota winning their back-to-back NC's with only one non-in-state player. But I think you guys all figured that out despite me.

No one wants to take a stab at the final quiz question on the dynastic Edmonton Oilers and their prodigious SOG counts?
                        No stab ....

However, would be remiss if I did not note that former Wildcat Dave Lumley played on those Edmonton Oilers Stanley Cup teams in 1984 and 1985.

Comment

Originally posted by sonar View Post

would be remiss if I did not note that former Wildcat Dave Lumley played on those Edmonton Oilers Stanley Cup teams in 1984 and 1985.
                          and former UNHer Norm Lacombe was on a Cup Winner in Edmonton a few years later.
                          UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Fordham is going to be a tougher opponent then they might appear at first glance. There were two common opponents this year -- Lehigh and Rhode Island. We beat Lehigh 45-27, Fordham beat Lehigh 48-27. We beat Rhode Island 41-14, Fordham beat Rhode Island 54-7. Of course exact scores don't mean all that much in blowouts, but even so...

Saturday current weather forecast is for very cold rain (upper 30's at best), which doesn't really play to our strength passing wise (we have a QB who's a great option play guy, so that helps). That said, I sure don't like the fact that they're averaging 42 points and 506 (!) yards per game. Thankfully two-thirds of that is passing yardage, so bad weather would hurt them too.

One nice thing is that we probably ended up in the best possible bracket. Because of late in the season losses, if were to win our next three games we wouldn't have to face North Dakota State, Coastal Carolina or Northern Iowa until the championship game. Plus that #1 seeding is ****ed helpful home field wise.

Finally, pity poor San Diego who had to travel all the way north to Montana for yesterday's game. They were down 38-0 by halftime.
                            Last edited by snively; 11-30-2014, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Any news on DeSmith joining the team next semester?

Comment

Originally posted by snively View Post

Fordham is going to be a tougher opponent then they might appear at first glance. There were two common opponents this year -- Lehigh. We beat Lehigh 45-27, Fordham beat Lehigh 48-27. We beat Rhode Island 41-14, Fordham beat Rhode Island 54-7. Of course exact scores don't mean all that much in blowouts, but even so...

Saturday current weather forecast is for very cold rain (upper 30's at best), which doesn't really play to our strength passing wise (we have a QB who's a great option play guy, so that helps). That said, I sure don't like the fact that they're averaging 42 points and 506 (!) yards per game. Thankfully two-thirds of that is passing yardage, so bad weather would hurt them too.

One nice thing is that we probably ended up in the best possible bracket. Because of late in the season losses, if were to win our next three games we wouldn't have to face North Dakota State, Coastal Carolina or Northern Iowa until the championship game. Plus that #1 seeding is ****ed helpful home field wise.

Finally, pity poor San Diego who had to travel all the way north to Montana for yesterday's game. They were down 38-0 by halftime.
                                Northern Iowa is on UNH's side of the bracket...possible the Panthers could make another trip to Durham the third weekend in December. Been thinking that since the 'Cats finally exorcised the William and Mary demon, might as well do the same to Northern Iowa.

Also possible that UNH might have to play three consecutive MVFC opponents to win the National Title...that is all a tall order. Fordham is not.
                                UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Working...
                                X