PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Beanpot to Belfast?

Pages : 1 [2]

joecct
09-27-2014, 04:26 PM
I hear that his remarks "were taken out of context. "

Political speech for "Oops!"

groovemaster
09-27-2014, 06:10 PM
He walked back the whole thing in this morning's Boston Herald after all the negative reaction.Said he'd like to have a college tournament over there sometime involving Boston schools but definitely not the Beanpot......no kidding...."oops!"

Split-N
09-27-2014, 06:24 PM
A four-team holiday invitational tournament might make sense but then the question remains, who's going to pick up the tab for the transportation, care, and feeding or four teams and all that goes with them? The schools certainly aren't and commercial underwriting would likely be a tough sell. Wait, I know.......the fine taxpayers of the City of Boston who elected this guy in the first place.

Chuck Murray
09-27-2014, 07:18 PM
A four-team holiday invitational tournament might make sense but then the question remains, who's going to pick up the tab for the transportation, care, and feeding or four teams and all that goes with them?

A more basic question would be, who in Belfast is going to pay to attend such an event in the first place? :confused:

Listen, we all love hockey, and it's arguably running neck-and-neck with basketball as the most global of the Top 4 North American team sports. But the ice hockey culture in Belfast is ... well, not great. Arguably non-existent even.

And into this void of ice hockey culture, you're going to throw in a few college programs where the schools likewise have little (if any) local connections ... and this is a good idea ... exactly why???

If this isn't the Worst Idea Ever, it's at least bucking for inclusion in the Top Ten ... :rolleyes:

groovemaster
09-28-2014, 01:21 AM
A more basic question would be, who in Belfast is going to pay to attend such an event in the first place? :confused:

Listen, we all love hockey, and it's arguably running neck-and-neck with basketball as the most global of the Top 4 North American team sports. But the ice hockey culture in Belfast is ... well, not great. Arguably non-existent even.

And into this void of ice hockey culture, you're going to throw in a few college programs where the schools likewise have little (if any) local connections ... and this is a good idea ... exactly why???

If this isn't the Worst Idea Ever, it's at least bucking for inclusion in the Top Ten ... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say non-existent.Belfast has had a pro team for quite a few years in the English pro league and if memory serves me correct they played an exhibition game against the Bruins the year they went over during the preseason.That said having the Beanpot over there is way beyond idiotic

sterlippo1
09-28-2014, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by Split-N

Why do Boston voters always insist on electing the village idiot as Mayor?

so you think the last mayor was a "village idiot" ? because he wasn't a smooth talker? Come take a look at what the village idiot did the past 20 years......... that post shows a village idiot's way of thinking.................................and I see you removed your post, good thinking. I wont even comment on having the Beanpot overseas

BU2K
09-28-2014, 11:05 AM
Come take a look at what the village idiot did the past 20 years.........

Put his name on absolutely everything that didn't move? :)

BC/HE
09-28-2014, 07:56 PM
Perhaps Marty was testing the response for use in next years St. Patrick's breakfast joke fest.

RoughEmUp
09-28-2014, 09:53 PM
Beanpot to Belfast is no doubt dumb. But a preseason invitational would be cool. Belfast hosts two Boston schools and some other Elite League team. To what end? It might build interest in ice hockey, the visiting schools, and NCAA in general. There's also the cultural exchange and a great alumni event with encumbent trappings.
If we can go to freaking Alaska, why not Belfast?

Felger
09-29-2014, 10:08 AM
who's going to pick up the tab for the transportation, care, and feeding or four teams and all that goes with them?

Steve Wynn