University of Utah club ice hockey unrealistic but asking about D1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University of Utah club ice hockey unrealistic but asking about D1

Here's an interesting article about the Utah ACHA hockey team. I realize this is the D1 board but there's a loose connection. Plus the club oar dis kinda dead.

http://www.dailyutahchronicle.com/2014/09/10/the-puck-stops-here/

The first part just explains they have a team, players are passionate, it's club and not sanctioned, etc. The AD provides a few quotes for the article that basically amount to "we don't have the money to make it D1." The club student president has an interesting quote though: "I know the Pac-12 commissioner has said publicly that hockey is on his radar."

Not that there's a tremendous interest shown by the AD I always enjoy when there's at least a few questions being asked. I enjoyed the read and thought others might.

Re: University of Utah club ice hockey unrealistic but asking about D1

Ok, this post deserves some discussion. How many hockey rinks are there in the state of Utah? From SLC, how many miles to the nearest Div 1 hockey school? How many miles to the nearest Div 3 school? How many miles to the nearest NHL rink? Nearest second tier pro rink? Why is the NBA team in SLC called the Utah Jazz? How many jazz music clubs are there in SLC?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      Ok, this post deserves some discussion. How many hockey rinks are there in the state of Utah? From SLC, how many miles to the nearest Div 1 hockey school? How many miles to the nearest Div 3 school? How many miles to the nearest NHL rink? Nearest second tier pro rink? Why is the NBA team in SLC called the Utah Jazz? How many jazz music clubs are there in SLC?
      They had the Winter Olympics there. There is a nice barn in Ogden, IIRC.

D-III is a non starter as Utah is a D-I school. And it would be Denver or Air Force.

But, in the end it all depends on $$$$.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Why is the NBA team in SLC called the Utah Jazz? How many jazz music clubs are there in SLC?
        Best part about your post...
        Originally posted by alfablue
        Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
        Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
        I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Quite common when teams move that they keep the original team name. The franchise began in 1974 as the New Orleans Jazz in New Orleans, Louisiana; the team moved to Utah in 1979.

Comment

Originally posted by slowe View Post
            The club student president has an interesting quote though: "I know the Pac-12 commissioner has said publicly that hockey is on his radar."
            That is certainly an odd quote, to say the least.

Hockey is "on his radar"?

At one school? At 6 schools, which is what you'd need for a conference?

If that is a direct quote, I'd sure like to know what he meant by that statement.

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
              Quite common when teams move that they keep the original team name. The franchise began in 1974 as the New Orleans Jazz in New Orleans, Louisiana; the team moved to Utah in 1979.
              That makes sense, thank you. I guess you can tell that I'm not a bouncy-ball fan...
              I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post

If that is a direct quote, I'd sure like to know what he meant by that statement.
                Here's an old article of relevance...

http://www.stanforddaily.com/2011/11...to-the-pac-12/

Beyda: It’s time to bring ice hockey to the Pac-12
                By: Joseph Beyda | Executive Editor November 4, 2011

As someone who’s lived in the Bay Area for his whole life, I recognize that there are certain things that we just aren’t supposed to know about out here. Snow plows? I thought those were only in movies. Ski goggles and mummy bags? I’ll rent them if I ever spend a weekend in Yosemite.
                But ice hockey? Well, you’d be surprised.
                We do actually know a thing or two about the sport, even though it’s never feasible here in its original, outdoor state. Thanks to several expansion attempts (some of them failed), “The Great One’s” trade to the LA Kings and the rapid emergence of youth hockey on the West Coast, hockey has become much more of a mainstay in California than you might expect. We have more NHL teams out here (Sharks, Ducks and Kings) than any other state or province — and as many as all of Eastern Canada, for that matter.
                But the NCAA is another matter. Ignoring Alaska and Alaska-Anchorage (for obvious reasons), the westernmost school with a Division I men’s ice hockey team is the University of Denver. And when a quarter of the teams in the NHL — representing 16 combined Stanley Cup Final appearances — are located west of the Mile-High City, that doesn’t make much sense.
                Even for an athletics powerhouse like Stanford, travel logistics would make it nearly impossible to spontaneously start a varsity hockey team. So what would it take for a significant portion of the Pac-12 to start playing hockey?
                Less than you might think.
                Though college hockey has traditionally only flourished in the Midwest and on the East Coast, West Coast interest in the sport should not be downplayed. Six Pac-12 schools (the four California universities, Arizona State and Colorado) are located within 50 miles of an NHL arena. And don’t get me wrong — I’m talking to you, cross-country runners and golfers — but as one of the four major American sports, hockey is much more student-fan accessible than some of the sports that are common out west.
                Then comes the money issue. Club teams such as Stanford’s have to travel several miles to reach a practice facility, which is annoying to players but makes it downright impossible for much of a fan base to develop. On-campus facilities are a practical necessity.
                At least from Stanford’s perspective, the cost of building a hockey arena shouldn’t be all too discouraging. College hockey facilities are generally modest, often holding fewer than 5,000 spectators, and new arenas of that size can carry about a $30 million price tag. By comparison, Stanford shelled out $26 million to renovate Maples Pavilion seven years ago while still maintaining significant parts of the original structure. And money doesn’t even seem to be much of a barrier for cash-strapped public schools; the upcoming renovations to Husky Stadium will cost the University of Washington an estimated $250 million.
                Even once a facility is built, critics may point to the high operating costs of maintaining an ice surface, which requires large amounts of water as well as and electricity for constant cooling. Annual utilities costs can easily reach the low six figures for small hockey rinks as well as larger ones.
                But this still pales in comparison to the operating costs of college facilities in other sports. One Olympic-sized swimming pool can demand $250,000 a year to maintain. Avery Aquatic Center has two such pools to support a pair swimming teams and a synchro squad; one ice rink could plausibly be enough for both a men’s and a women’s hockey team.
                When it comes to revenue, college hockey brings in more in ticket sales than you might expect. While a 2010 NCAA report showed that men’s basketball and football are usually the only sports to make money at the college level, it also uncovered that men’s ice hockey teams lose an average of $356,000 a year. That’s quite a large sum, but still $250,000 cheaper than baseball — a sport of comparable popularity and even greater prominence to the American market — where Stanford teams have made a name for themselves nationally over the years.
                With several club teams already in existence amongst Pac-12 schools, building college hockey on the West Coast shouldn’t be written off so easily. It would take some time for Stanford to rise to the prominence we all take for granted, but the same can be said for any other sport which has been proposed for adoption time and time again. (Apologies to Wyndam Makowsky, but men’s lacrosse loses $459,000 a year, on average.) While the Frozen Four isn’t in sight for the time being, Pac-12 teams would still get exposure through the conference’s new media network.
                And since the NCAA is at least 20 years behind the curve in terms of bringing hockey out west, why not go for it? It’s shot in the dark, but maybe it’ll be a shot on goal.
                Joseph Beyda can’t skate to save his life. I’m serious. As a young child he nearly died when he crashed into the limbo stick during an event at his local ice rink. To give him some skating tips (i.e. don’t do it), email him at jbeyda “at” stanford.edu.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post

It looks plausible (although I have no idea how long it will take). There are already large university teams out there...

http://pac8hockey.com/

2014-15 REGULAR SEASON
                  # Team Win Loss KRACH
                  1 USC - - -
                  2 WASHINGTON - - -
                  3 WSU - - -
                  4 UCLA - - -
                  5 UTAH - - -
                  6 CAL - - -
                  7 OREGON - - -
                  8 ASU - - -

Comment

How many Penguins are there in Pittsburgh?
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      How many Penguins are there in Pittsburgh?

Comment

ECHL Utah Grizzlies celebrating 20th anniversary this season. Their arena holds 10,200. Denver would be the nearest NHL arena, around 600 miles away. but if NHL moved into Vegas that would be closer. There is a lot of youth hockey in Salt Lake.
                        GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
                          Same the reason that one of the LA teams is called the Lakers.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus655321 View Post
                            Same the reason that one of the LA teams is called the Lakers.
                            Or the Sacramento Kings who used to be the Kansas City Kings who used to be the Kansas City - Omaha Kings who used to be the Cincinnati Royals who used to be the Rochester Royals.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I would love to see Utah get a team. I'm not sure how serious the Pac 12 would be about actually making a hockey conference, but maybe. I know UCLA's team isn't completely irrelevant. Some good points about Utah, although IMO Colorado hockey is pretty garbage but DU has good teams and CC not so bad--and those are D2-D3 schools.
                              Of course, I think a 6 team conference is ridiculous but I guess... I don't see the Pac 12 hockey conference coming soon, but I'd love to see Utah in the NCHC
                              I wanna go fast!

Comment

Working...
                              X