This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boston College Season 2014 - 2015 Thread: PART I

Anyone driving up to Lowell on Friday ? Plenty of tickets available at the BC ticket office. The RIT game you have to buy through RIT as they did not send any allotment to BC.
    NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Originally posted by BCeagle View Post
      Anyone driving up to Lowell on Friday ? Plenty of tickets available at the BC ticket office. The RIT game you have to buy through RIT as they did not send any allotment to BC.
      I'll be in Lowell. Passing on RIT... that's a little too far. Should be fun though.
      BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
      -
      Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

What did you guys make of the latest ESPN 30 for 30 film, "Playing for the Mob"?

Figured there had to be a reason this thread fell off the front page yesterday ...
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          What did you guys make of the latest ESPN 30 for 30 film, "Playing for the Mob"?

Figured there had to be a reason this thread fell off the front page yesterday ...
          Thought it was ok, pretty interesting. Storylines/ plot jumped around a ton.

Don't think the school owes Jim Sweeney anything so him & his wife come off poorly IMO.

There were some great shots of the campus though!

I will say the 30 for 30 series is some of the best stuff ESPN does and beyond live programming one of the few things I'll watch on that channel.

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
            Thought it was ok, pretty interesting. Storylines/ plot jumped around a ton.

Don't think the school owes Jim Sweeney anything so him & his wife come off poorly IMO.

There were some great shots of the campus though!

I will say the 30 for 30 series is some of the best stuff ESPN does and beyond live programming one of the few things I'll watch on that channel.
            Given how incredibly compelling the story itself is, I thought the documentary was kind of boring. You're right in that it seemed to jump around a lot. Maybe I would have followed it better if I knew the background more and had lived through that era, but I never really came to know the characters through the film.

One of the things that made me laugh during the movie was the beautiful shots of modern Boston along the waterfront, etc. It doesn't really properly evoke the image of dirty old 1970s Boston where the only people you'd see on the waterfront were people wearing concrete shoes.

I have to say that I don't buy Sweeney's story. I am sure he probably initially didn't want to be a part of it and ended up getting sucked into something and in over his head. But I doubt he just randomly carried around BC pocket schedules.

So...BC hockey in two days!
            -

Comment

Originally posted by joegrav View Post
              I have to say that I don't buy Sweeney's story. I am sure he probably initially didn't want to be a part of it and ended up getting sucked into something and in over his head. But I doubt he just randomly carried around BC pocket schedules.
              Agreed - I don't buy Sweeney's story at all. And the whining about becoming persona non grata at the school was a bit much. Did he expect some kind of a "welcome back, thanks for bricking the free throws and fouling out on purpose?" statement?

The guy seems to have done well enough in the business world, why does he need "closure" or whatever??

Comment

Agreed - I don't buy Sweeney's story at all. And the whining about becoming persona non grata at the school was a bit much. Did he expect some kind of a "welcome back, thanks for bricking the free throws and fouling out on purpose?" statement?

The guy seems to have done well enough in the business world, why does he need "closure" or whatever??
                Ego. Go read his wikipedia page which he obviously wrote himself. I was going to edit it or flag it for deletion but it's so laughable that it's worth keeping up as is.
                -

Comment

Ego. Go read his wikipedia page which he obviously wrote himself. I was going to edit it or flag it for deletion but it's so laughable that it's worth keeping up as is.

What a find, that's hilarious.

Comment

i thought the Chris Evert -Martina Navratilova episode was better

Comment

Wow, no kidding. Most folks would settle for a LinkedIn page, but not Sweeney. Ego indeed.

Here is a link to the original SI story from 1981, some details from Hill are inconsistent (i.e. meeting the BC players at the Sheraton Boston at Prudential Center instead of the Hilton at Logan for one), but considering he was wasted at the time, hardly shocking:

http://www.si.com/vault/1981/02/16/8...o-shave-points

Comment

Game day. Let's see what this team's got.

Go Eagles!
                        'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                          Game day. Let's see what this team's got.

Go Eagles!
                          One tid bit, a BC recruit, not this years, has family that was heavily involved in the

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                            One tid bit, a BC recruit, not this years, has family that was heavily involved in the
                            oh hoky

can't make this one, the Friday drive to Lowell is only topped by the Friday drive to PC in the ring of hell but will be watching.

Several things want to watch:
                            1) How Sanford fits with Cangelosi & Fitzgerald. All 3 had a relatively quiet game on Saturday. Lines are obviously by no means final but will be interesting to see how they mesh.
                            2) Defensive breakdowns. We all know the talent on the blue line and back but there were a ton of odd man rushes. Was it cause it was the exhibition or a bigger problem?
                            3) Production from the bottom 6. To be honest think it's the key to the season, people from down there need to step up.

Kid says no Silk so it'll be the same 12 F from Saturday.

Comment

i think the key to the season is how the sophomore forwards develop. if they take a big step forward, this could be a FF team again with the projected defense/goaltending. if they only take a slight step forward or stay the same, probably just a tourney team/maybe even on the fringe but not a true contender.

Comment

BC really struggled through the first period at Lowell. They cycle the puck well in the O zone but have trouble in open ice passing the puck. Lots of indecision on the part of puck carriers. Lowell pressuring the D in the D zone and creating havoc. Look like deer in headlights. Let's see if the Eagles can adjust in the 2nd.
                                'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Working...
                                X