Michigan State's Eternal Optimist Thread, 2014-15 edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan State's Eternal Optimist Thread, 2014-15 edition

Not that I subscribe, mind you - but I'm ready with Negative Nancys if anyone gets out of hand.

Re: Michigan State's Eternal Optimist Thread, 2014-15 edition

Anyone know if Marcel Godbout decided to stay in the USHL another year? Finally checked out our new roster and he is not listed but apparently is on Des Moines'. I was under the impression that he was one of our more highly touted forwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
      Anyone know if Marcel Godbout decided to stay in the USHL another year? Finally checked out our new roster and he is not listed but apparently is on Des Moines'. I was under the impression that he was one of our more highly touted forwards.
      Not enrolled, and as far as I know will get seasoned another year at Des Moines.

+ Interesting that we're carrying 4 goalies this season.
      Last edited by owslachief; 09-09-2014, 10:07 PM.

Comment

B1G Media Day at The Joe. Someone tell me what John Draeger is doing to start another season on the mend (?). This is silly.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
          B1G Media Day at The Joe. Someone tell me what John Draeger is doing to start another season on the mend (?). This is silly.
          I finally found a transcript of the press press conference. He mentioned that they will evaluate him within a month so hopefully he is not out long. What rotten luck.

Sounds like the team had a good offseason. I like the sound of them being in great shape. It has come to the point in the offseason where i start looking at information just to kill the final weeks before the season and it looks like Connor Wood is back on the team. I liked his speed a couple years ago against the U-18 team so I hope he has improved whatever has been holding him back.

I have also noticed that JT Stenglein has lost a lot of weight. 14 pounds, I believe. I thought he was a little slow-footed last year so this should be a positive.

Also, noticed along with Godbout that Cody Milan is also sticking in Juniors another season. I felt like we were going to have too many forwards this year so it makes sense. Hope they both have big years in the USHL.

Comment

I finally found a transcript of the press press conference. He mentioned that they will evaluate him within a month so hopefully he is not out long. What rotten luck.

Sounds like the team had a good offseason. I like the sound of them being in great shape. It has come to the point in the offseason where i start looking at information just to kill the final weeks before the season and it looks like Connor Wood is back on the team. I liked his speed a couple years ago against the U-18 team so I hope he has improved whatever has been holding him back.

I have also noticed that JT Stenglein has lost a lot of weight. 14 pounds, I believe. I thought he was a little slow-footed last year so this should be a positive.

Also, noticed along with Godbout that Cody Milan is also sticking in Juniors another season. I felt like we were going to have too many forwards this year so it makes sense. Hope they both have big years in the USHL.
            Cody Milan has the potential to be a really good college player and may be a sleeper for the '15 NHL draft with his size. He had a pretty serious injury last year going into his second USHL season that significantly changed his schedule, but you may see some big numbers by Spring. He potted two goals in Tri-Cities' exhibition opener last week.

Comment

Gotta like this . The work will occur over the next 12 months.

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-...100114aac.html

There's some big items in there, including replacing benches with all chair-backs, giving the place a little flair with the ribbon LED (I guess this means fully-encircling ribbon LED board).

Comment

Green and white game tonight. Really excited to be in Munn again and watch the fellas skate. I may have to miss Tuesday's exhibition, though. It also annoys me that we have essentially a bye week before we have even played a real game. Oh well.

Comment

I feel like adding all chair-back will decrease capacity, but I guess with the state of the program that's not terrible right now. I doubt the ribbon board goes all the way around, it would be a little awkward with the gap between the suites and end wall. If I had to guess it would just go on the suites. Hopefully we can get real-time stats and out of town scores on a regular basis once those are put in.

I'm a little confused about the theater lighting. They already updated the lighting last year, unless they're adding lighting for fancy intros, though I actually liked intros better when they didn't turn the lights off beforehand. Also a little surprised there's no mention about the graphics boards from the 90s (80s maybe?) that have been obsolete for at least a decade.

Obviously the chairbacks won't be put in until next season, but I wonder if they'll be able to put the ribbon board and HD boards in over winter break.
                  Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

There may be a really good reason the only goal scored last night in the scrimmage was in the shootout. I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

There may be a really good reason the only goal scored last night in the scrimmage was in the shootout. I hope I'm wrong.
                      Couldn't help but let this creep into my mind as well but the goalie's made some saves and sometimes bounces just go the defense's way. It's also tough to take too much away from an intrasquad scrimmage. I am not worried yet.

Comment

Just realized that we are discussing whether or not to be worried regarding the Green and White game. That's a bummer.

Comment

Just realized that we are discussing whether or not to be worried regarding the Green and White game. That's a bummer.
                          Of course - it's tempting to dismiss that kind of result. It's just that the last time this happened was in October of 2008; I think not a few of us had a sick sense at the time, and that feeling was pretty well confirmed by the time we got to March .

But then I realized this is an "Optimist" thread and so I'm the Debbie Downer.
                          Last edited by owslachief; 10-06-2014, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Of course - it's tempting to dismiss that kind of result. It's just that the last time this happened was in October of 2008; I think not a few of us had a sick sense at the time, and that feeling was pretty well confirmed by the time we got to March .

But then I realized this is an "Optimist" thread and so I'm the Debbie Downer.
                            As far as optimism goes, I think Jacobs is gonna be a really good one and I felt like Sorenson had good burst. It's tough to evaluate much when both teams featured numerous filler players, who I assume are the more highly touted club guys. I think Pavelek appeared to have potential as well. For about half the game, I thought Gatt was Nicholas Gatt and figured he was just back to help fill roster space for the night until I remembered that we have a new one. I do think defense and goaltending will be stingy this year.

Hoping that DeBlouw explodes this year. I think he is key to an offensive resurgence. I did not notice him terribly much last night but that is unfair to judge since lineups were totally out of whack. Even known commodities like Berry and Ferrantino weren't popping out to me.

Comment

As far as optimism goes, I think Jacobs is gonna be a really good one and I felt like Sorenson had good burst. It's tough to evaluate much when both teams featured numerous filler players, who I assume are the more highly touted club guys. I think Pavelek appeared to have potential as well. For about half the game, I thought Gatt was Nicholas Gatt and figured he was just back to help fill roster space for the night until I remembered that we have a new one. I do think defense and goaltending will be stingy this year.

Hoping that DeBlouw explodes this year. I think he is key to an offensive resurgence. I did not notice him terribly much last night but that is unfair to judge since lineups were totally out of whack. Even known commodities like Berry and Ferrantino weren't popping out to me.
                              Heh - you thought the younger brother imitated a 4x4 on skates . Obviously big improvement there . On the plus-side, it looked to me the year back in Jr's for Wood really did some good. Also noticed Pavelek a lot.

All in all, the D looks solid, not only with high-end addition but obviously with more experience. Take away J Chelios' ability on offense but I see Jacobs' willingness to shoot and looks like he can run a power play.

Going back last year, Ferrantino, Cox and Berry actually accounted for 9 goals as a line, going strictly 5x5, while Ebbing, Mac and Haag had 8 (5x5), so those could be your top lines to start the season. Of course, with Wolfe being on the ice for 35 of MSU's 80 goals (and a senior present for 43 goals) there's some holes to fill.
                              Last edited by owslachief; 10-07-2014, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X