Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2014-15 season

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
    Who was at the games this past weekend that would like to share what they thought of the atmosphere?

I missed both games, but a friend tells me there was canned music, forced enthusiasm from the announcer and other pro atmosphere type stuff. Any opinions?
    Based on the reply to your post, most of us were not there. So having a poor atmosphere is no shock. Why schedule hockey games when 1) students are GONE and 2) it's a popular holiday to be away and 3) in spite of the gridiron crap, most were focused on Columbus.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
      Haven't heard anything about that but if true I'm less than thrilled. I thought we got rid of DB Brandon?
      Perhaps, but the doubled marketing department he hired is still around.

Maybe I've become a curmudgeon, but I'm of the opinion that if you're the best you don't need to sell yourself and brag about how great you are or were. Your body of work should speak for itself and word of mouth will market for you. The more Michigan tries to sell to me, the less I want to be a part of it.

I've already sworn off men's basketball, that atmosphere is not for me. Maybe if I stood among the maize rage I wouldn't notice it as much, but from the stands it was too much advertising, canned music and I'm not a fan of the hoops announcer. I did have a good laugh at the 'wow' factor of having a bald eagle at one game....which we were playing against the Coppin State Eagles.

/typical Michigan fan always finding something to complain about
      Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
      wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
      7 B1G
      7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
      6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
      5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
      5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
      2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
      2 Alaskan

Comment

Maybe I've become a curmudgeon, but I'm of the opinion that if you're the best you don't need to sell yourself and brag about how great you are or were. Your body of work should speak for itself and word of mouth will market for you. The more Michigan tries to sell to me, the less I want to be a part of it.

I've already sworn off men's basketball, that atmosphere is not for me. Maybe if I stood among the maize rage I wouldn't notice it as much, but from the stands it was too much advertising, canned music and I'm not a fan of the hoops announcer. I did have a good laugh at the 'wow' factor of having a bald eagle at one game....which we were playing against the Coppin State Eagles.

No, you're fine. I'll one-up you, I hate bouncy-ball regardless. I've been to every single varsity athletic event (at least when I was a student) EXCEPT men's or women's bouncy-ball. I've had tickets thrown at me, friends wanted me to go, when I was interning at a rehabilitation facility during Grad. School a client wanted me to take him, etc. All of that and I still refused to go to Crisler and see bouncy-ball.

But yes the throngs of marketing people need to go. We should tell Mr. Hackett that needs to be done when he gets time (I'm pretty sure that he'll be too busy to even address it until Mid-January).
        Originally posted by alfablue
        Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
        Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
        I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Is Friday's game teddy bear toss?

Comment

If this makes you a curmudgeon, then I am one as well.

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            Is Friday's game teddy bear toss?
            Yep. You would have thought someone would announce it...
            Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

Originally posted by bluevox View Post
              If this makes you a curmudgeon, then I am one as well.
              So you are agreeing with wT that something needs to be done about the announcer?

(I just want to start with that drasted goal horn)

Yep. You would have thought someone would announce it...
              Thanks, we were planning on it. I wish they would mention it- event past years had a teddy bear on the tickets.

Comment

So, one game vs. aOSU this weekend. Will we see the Friday night team of the last two weeks? I've preferred the high scoring Saturday team.
                Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                7 B1G
                7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                2 Alaskan

Comment

So, one game vs. aOSU this weekend. Will we see the Friday night team of the last two weeks? I've preferred the high scoring Saturday team.
                  The game reports make it sound like the team is improving a lot- so I hope this trend continues. The last game we saw was back against AIC, and it's shocking to see that we have only 6 home games left after Friday.

Comment

Heard a rumor yesterday that Hackett is in the process of cleaning house. I wouldn't count on it going entirely back to the way it was before DB Brandon got here this year but next season should be a refreshing change. Hopefully...
                    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Hopefully everyone going tonight knows that the game starts at 7:05 and not 7:35.

Comment

I missed both games, but a friend tells me there was canned music, forced enthusiasm from the announcer and other pro atmosphere type stuff. Any opinions?
                        Worse than that. It seems there was a change in the public address lineup. In addition to the regular announcer, there was a second "adnouncer" would would announce all the ads and promotions.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord of the Rinks View Post
                          Worse than that. It seems there was a change in the public address lineup. In addition to the regular announcer, there was a second "adnouncer" would would announce all the ads and promotions.
                          Oh God no, Hackett can't clean house fast enough...

Comment

That was a nice win. The creativity of the play was really fun to watch! Especially the power play. Maybe it was OSU's defense that allowed the team to move the puck like they did, but that was some of the best movement I've seen in a long time.

Still some nagging defensive issues, but they sure got a lot better.

I can't rememeber the last time we saw so many goals in the north end.

As for the other announcer. Stop. Just stop- just read it without adding stuff at least, or go away. I think notes to the athletic department complaining of the massive advertising is in order. And the "news" that prevented the band from playing between the 2-3 periods? That can be done pre-game. It may come to some suprise, but a lot of fans are listening to the band.

Anyway, the game was great. Hope this trend continues as they travel to Boston.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                              That was a nice win. The creativity of the play was really fun to watch! Especially the power play. Maybe it was OSU's defense that allowed the team to move the puck like they did, but that was some of the best movement I've seen in a long time.

Still some nagging defensive issues, but they sure got a lot better.

I can't rememeber the last time we saw so many goals in the north end.

As for the other announcer. Stop. Just stop- just read it without adding stuff at least, or go away. I think notes to the athletic department complaining of the massive advertising is in order. And the "news" that prevented the band from playing between the 2-3 periods? That can be done pre-game. It may come to some suprise, but a lot of fans are listening to the band.

Anyway, the game was great. Hope this trend continues as they travel to Boston.
                              No, beating Ohio St8te was gre8t. Michigan now leads the NCAA in offense- 4.07 GPG. They'll need it against a good BC team.

Comment

A little early but does anyone know of any TV coverage for next Saturday?

Comment

Working...
                                X