Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does Recruiting work for Womens College hockey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does Recruiting work for Womens College hockey?

I played college football years ago so I know that recruiting process. How my daughter got into Hockey I will never know. I never skated. She is entering HS and has an interest in College hockey. I would love to get some perspective on how the Womens College recruiting process works and what should a dad do to get a daughter noticed if she has some AAA skill?

If you don't live in MN or Massachusetts what should a girl do as far as camps in the summer?
    Which camps are money grabs and which camps could help a girl get identified?
    Are camps regional to the colleges in the area?
    Are there National camps where every school coach goes to?
    At what age do college scouts really start watching and identifying girl players?
    At what age can they start recruiting girls for college hockey?
    What percentage of girls get full ride scholarships compared to 1/2 scholarships?
    How many scholarships do D1 schools have to give for a team?
    How many full ride scholarships are given to girls at a school each year?
    How many girls are on a college hockey team?
    Do colleges offer camps in the summer? Is this the best way to get identified?
    Is Central Districts something college coaches pay attention to?
    Is there Olympic development like in other sports? Is this what central districts is for?

A lot of questions I know. New to the board and have no idea how this will work. Thanks for any comments. Not here to say my girl has great talent. Just interest.
    Pass the puck

Re: How does Recruiting work for Womens College hockey?

Originally posted by Ahockeydad View Post
    I played college football years ago so I know that recruiting process. How my daughter got into Hockey I will never know. I never skated. She is entering HS and has an interest in College hockey. I would love to get some perspective on how the Womens College recruiting process works and what should a dad do to get a daughter noticed if she has some AAA skill?

If you don't live in MN or Massachusetts what should a girl do as far as camps in the summer?
    At what age do college scouts really start watching and identifying girl players?
    What percentage of girls get full ride scholarships compared to 1/2 scholarships?
    How many scholarships do D1 schools have to give for a team?
    How many girls are on a college hockey team?
    Is there Olympic development like in other sports? Is this what central districts is for?

A lot of questions I know. New to the board and have no idea how this will work. Thanks for any comments. Not here to say my girl has great talent. Just interest.
    I don't have the answers for you, but I know there are lots of posters here who do. I suspect you came to the right place.

Also welcome to the forum.
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

If you don't live in MN or Massachusetts what should a girl do as far as camps in the summer? I'd look into the Beantown Classic and NAHA Showcase.

Which camps are money grabs and which camps could help a girl get identified? You could argue that anything is a money grab, but as far as summer events, the ones mentioned above are heavily attended by college coaches, as is the Rush Showcase event in Ontario in June. There are also events like Hockey Night in Boston that some coaches will go to, but you could argue that those fall more on the "money grab" side of things. The Middlesex Islanders combined with Easton and ran a solid Showcase in July this year as well. It was the first year, but I imagine it will continue to be a mid-summer fixture.

Are camps regional to the colleges in the area? Not really sure what you're getting at here...but if you are asking if only coaches from the region will attend these events then it's hit or miss. Nearly everyone will be at Beantown, and a good portion will be at Rush or NAHA events.

Are there National camps where every school coach goes to? National Camps, yes. Every coach, no. Mostly D1 coaches...but depending where your daughter falls in the pecking order that may or may not help her situation.

At what age do college scouts really start watching and identifying girl players? Depends on the school. Generally going to be much earlier for the high end D1 players and a little later for the D3's as they start to see which players are going to filter down to them. The D3's typically have less staff and recruiting resources so are not able to recruit as far in advance anyway.

At what age can they start recruiting girls for college hockey? As far as making calls directly to players and sending them information, Jr/Sr year. There are "unofficial" channels that can get this going prior to then...such as calling a players coach to relay their interest and seeing up a time where the player calls them.

What percentage of girls get full ride scholarships compared to 1/2 scholarships? Probably not as many as you think. There's also a lot who get less than a half...sometimes significantly so. In some cases it can be cheaper to attend a D3 than to take a partial scholarship at a D1 because you aren't able to stack additional aid on top of that athletic scholarship.

How many scholarships do D1 schools have to give for a team? Depends on the school, but between 0-18

How many full ride scholarships are given to girls at a school each year? no way to answer that.

How many girls are on a college hockey team? You can dress 21 for a game. Most teams will carry a few more than that.

Do colleges offer camps in the summer? Is this the best way to get identified? Some do, but I'd say they are generally going to attract the more recreational player while the showcases tend to attract the higher end players.

Is Central Districts something college coaches pay attention to? Maybe if a school is close by, but probably not otherwise.

Is there Olympic development like in other sports? Is this what central districts is for? I think Minnesota has something like that, but I don't think it exists in most places.

Comment

How many scholarships do D1 schools have to give for a team? Just Like the men 18 full rides spread over the team are allowed.
        How many girls are on a college hockey team? The NC$$ Div 1 Champions Clarkson and Runnerup Minnesota had 21 on their rosters. Spot checking some other rosters they seem to range mostly from 21 to 24..

Welcome to the board. See above.
        Last edited by vicb; 08-24-2014, 06:09 PM.
        Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
        And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
        WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
        If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

She is entering HS and has an interest in College hockey. I would love to get some perspective on how the Womens College recruiting process works and what should a dad do to get a daughter noticed if she has some AAA skill? Far more important than summer camps is getting her in a good AAA club program. If none are around you, look into a national hockey program if you/she are really serious and have the money. If your daughter is academically strong (and you have money), consider an east coast prep school coupled with an east coast club program.

If you don't live in MN or Massachusetts what should a girl do as far as camps in the summer? As a freshman, I would be far more interested in exposing her to the level of play of the kids around her. Attend Rush Hockey Showcase in Canada. It is individual entry, and she'll meet a bunch of kids who love hockey. Yes, there will be coahces there, but at this age focus on building her desire. Go to watch the college series so she can see college and olympian gilrs play.

Which camps are money grabs and which camps could help a girl get identified? They are all money grabs to some extent. My daughter liked to play hockey, and she liked to go to camps. Some of her best memories are from camps where only a few college scouts were at.

Are camps regional to the colleges in the area?In season tournaments are far more important that summer camps. Summer focus on building strength and skill. Scouts noticing her is an added benefit.

Are there National camps where every school coach goes to?USA Hockey National Camp. You need to tryout and be selected. If you live in the Central DIstrict, you need to attend the Central District Tryouts.

At what age do college scouts really start watching and identifying girl players?Freshman are getting offers. But, you need to be seen to be identified.

At what age can they start recruiting girls for college hockey?You can contact them anytime. They can send "recruiting emails" on September 1 of Junior year. Calls to your D (as opposed to her coach etc.) cant start until July before Senior year.

What percentage of girls get full ride scholarships compared to 1/2 scholarships?Ask any girl - they all have full rides!

How many scholarships do D1 schools have to give for a team?equivalent to 18 full rides

How many full ride scholarships are given to girls at a school each year? Depends on schools. I know one hockey east school that only gives full rides or no scholarship. Every school is different. Also, coaches can spread them out or bunch them.

How many girls are on a college hockey team? 23 +/- 4 or so

Do colleges offer camps in the summer? Is this the best way to get identified? Yes, some do. Generally no.

Is Central Districts something college coaches pay attention to? Central District Camp usually has about 4 college coaches - 1 per team (D1 or D3 coach). One year I believe only 1 D1 coach was there. Good time, fun, well run. Not many coaches looking at kids. With that said, my D's coach at an AHAI camp (Illinois) actively recruited her based on that camp, and my D really liked a D3 coach from Central District camp. If D1 didn't work out, that D3 school was top of her list. (Note: kids should be evaluating coaches at these camps!!)

Is there Olympic development like in other sports? Is this what central districts is for? Central district tryouts is how Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska kids get identified for USA Hockey National Camp. Central district "camp" is run by the district.

Most importantly - your daughter should get the best grades possible starting NOW.

Comment

If you go to the bottom left hand corner of the main page of this women's fan forum (just click on the back arrow button after reading this post and you will be on the correct page) and open the "show threads from the" drop down box and select "beginning" (meaning that you want to be shown all threads for as far back as they are archived) and then click on the "show threads" button in the bottom right hand corner of the same page, you will have access to all the threads.

Then go to the thread on page 32 titled "Question on Recruiting" where you will find a number of suggestions and discussion for your consideration.

Good luck.
            Last edited by Blackbeard; 08-24-2014, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
              If you go to the bottom left hand corner of the main page of this women's fan forum (just click on the back arrow button after reading this post and you will be on the correct page) and open the "show threads from the" drop down box and select "beginning" (meaning that you want to be shown all threads for as far back as they are archived) and then click on the "show threads" button in the bottom right hand corner of the same page, you will have access to all the threads.

Then go to the thread on page 32 titled "Question on Recruiting" where you will find a number of suggestions and discussion for your consideration.

Good luck.
              In other words, go here:
              http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...cruiting/page6

There tends to be one or more threads like this every year, so feel free to browse others at your leisure, like some of these:
              http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...-questionnaire
              http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...ing-Curiousity
              http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...College-Plaers
              http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...Not-Kept/page4

There are more, plus other threads that deal with a particular question that you raised, as well as a bunch of threads that veered off topic at some point and moved from the thread topic to posts that cover questions of your interest. Many cover the same ground, but you may find some new info if you hunt around.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

There is a recruit questionnaire on UW's website. This might be helpful as to what 1 school is looking for. I have never looked at it myself (my daughter doesn't play hockey), but I have seen the link whilst poking around the UW women's homepage.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Having dreams and ambitions of playing D1 hockey is wonderful, and your daughter should certainly pursue those if that is what she wants. However, she should keep an open mind and not limit herself to D1 schools. There are a number of great D3 schools out East and in the Midwest where she can get a good education and play hockey. One question she might want to ask herself is, "Do I want to be a 3rd or 4th line player on a D1 team or a 1st line, special teams player on a D3 team?"

It has been a few years since we went through the recruiting process, but I recall during my daughter's sophomore year that she sent introductory letters to a number of D1 and D3 coaches telling a little bit about herself, providing her upcoming league/summer schedules, and inviting the coaches to watch her play. We also took some tours of schools the summer after her sophomore year and narrowed that search and continued with tours during her junior year. She contacted the coaches well in advance of those visits and asked if they would meet with her. All of the coaches were gracious, even those that had no interest in my daughter. They all took the time to talk about their program, about our daughter's interests/desires, about their school, and provided a tour of their facilities.

We found that our daughter's interest in playing D1 versus D3 changed over the course of her high school career, as well as the location of where she thought she might want to play. It is a process. Best of luck to your daughter. Don't forget to enjoy the high school years -- they fly by way too fast!!

Comment

If NESCAC is in her future try a New England Prep School.

Remember, it's the job after college that counts as pro hockey will not be an option.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

It's like getting hit repeatedly on the head with a hammer. It feels great when it stops.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        If NESCAC is in her future try a New England Prep School.

Remember, it's the job after college that counts as pro hockey will not be an option.
                        Very true. Thank you all so much for some of these answers. It should be a fun ride. The idea of going to camps and watching the coaches is an answer I never would have thought about. This will be an interesting ride.

Thanks again. This really is a great board for unique information.
                        Pass the puck

Comment

part or all of this article might have some decent information for you

http://coachprusso.com/2014/08/25/re...hes-30-quotes/

Comment

Recruiting Advice DIRECTLY from the Mouths of College Coaches. (30 Quotes)

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post

Recruiting Advice DIRECTLY from the Mouths of College Coaches. (30 Quotes)
                              Lots of fantastic advice in that article.

Comment

Working...
                              X