UAH Hockey 2014-15: The 30th Varsity Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UAH Hockey 2014-15: The 30th Varsity Season

This is UAH's 30th season of varsity hockey and 36th overall. This is the 22nd season in Division I (17th since rejoining in 1998), and second in the WCHA.

The schedule:
    Oct. 10-11 at Colorado College
    Oct. 17-18 vs. Bowling Green*
    Oct. 24-25 at Minnesota State*
    Oct. 31-Nov. 1 at Northern Michigan
    Nov. 7-8 at Air Force
    Nov. 14-15 vs. Lake Superior State*
    Nov. 21-22 at Ferris State*
    Nov. 28-29 vs. Michigan Tech*
    Dec. 12-13 at Alaska*
    Dec. 20-21 at Nebraska-Omaha
    Jan. 2-3 vs. Alaska-Anchorage*
    Jan. 9-10 at Bemidji State*
    Jan. 16-17 vs. Northern Michigan*
    Jan. 24-25 vs. USA Under-18 (exhibition)
    Jan. 30-31 at Michigan Tech*
    Feb. 13-14 at Lake Superior State*
    Feb. 20-21 vs. Ferris State*
    Feb. 27-28 vs. Alaska*
    March 6-7 at Bowling Green*

The roster:
    http://uahchargers.com/roster.aspx?path=mhockey

Breakdown (as of 8/20/2014):
    16 returnees, 10 lost (4 via graduation), 9 newcomers
    14 forwards, 8 defensemen, 3 goaltenders
    5 seniors, 5 juniors, 7 sophomores, 8 freshmen

I won't make a prediction. Just get better, win more games, and continue to build. Let's go Chargers!
    Michael Napier - UAH '97
    uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
    U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
    NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
    CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
    CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Re: UAH Hockey 2014-15: The 30th Varsity Season

I wish you all the best, with the exceptions of the 3rd weekend in November, and the 3rd weekend in February.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

The key for this year is probably going to be what it was last year: goaltending. Have Guerriero and Larose gotten stronger in the offseason? They had typical freshman conditioning, and they saw so much work that it's darn impressive that they pulled off what they did.

The defense has to figure it out, full stop. More talent will help, but man, Anderson White needs to be engaged this year. He has the tools to put it together but flat out did not last year. Reinhardt can't block every last shot.

Please, let the freshmen know how to score and create chances. Vanderlugt and Prince are going to get a handful of goals by their ability to create space, but their speed hurts them. And let's see if Salhany's nose to score improved in the offseason, because he's got the skating and sense to get to the right spots.

I think that our high water mark is eight wins. And we need a home win something fierce. The only member of the hockey program who was around the last time UAH won a D-I game at home is trainer Jeff Kinard. New players, new coaches, new AD, new SID.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Got to think another year in Corbett's system will help. I have a feeling we'll see some higher point totals from Prince, Salhany, Brears, Vanderlugt, and Soquila. Throw in Max McHugh and that's a decent top 6. Sad to see Koshey not back, he had good numbers for a dman, especially on this squad.

Agree 8 is probably the best we could hope for. My gut says Larose will take the net and run with it. He's got great size and I know he trained his *** off this summer in BC. Ready to get it goin!

Comment

Anyone know what's up with Tyler Poulsen and Filip Starzynski? They were both slated to be freshmen but aren't on the roster. Neither was the biggest guy but played with an edge and Poulsen put up nice numbers in the North American League.
          Last edited by GeoffissiffoeG; 08-21-2014, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffissiffoeG View Post
            Anyone know what's up with Tyler Poulsen and Filip Starzynski? They were both slated to be freshmen but aren't on the roster. Neither was the biggest guy but played with an edge and Poulsen put up nice numbers in the North American League.
            We may see Poulsen. We won't see Starzynski. I asked why and was told, but I can't really say why. Sorry.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
              The key for this year is probably going to be what it was last year: goaltending. Have Guerriero and Larose gotten stronger in the offseason? They had typical freshman conditioning, and they saw so much work that it's darn impressive that they pulled off what they did.

The defense has to figure it out, full stop. More talent will help, but man, Anderson White needs to be engaged this year. He has the tools to put it together but flat out did not last year. Reinhardt can't block every last shot.

Please, let the freshmen know how to score and create chances. Vanderlugt and Prince are going to get a handful of goals by their ability to create space, but their speed hurts them. And let's see if Salhany's nose to score improved in the offseason, because he's got the skating and sense to get to the right spots.

I think that our high water mark is eight wins. And we need a home win something fierce. The only member of the hockey program who was around the last time UAH won a D-I game at home is trainer Jeff Kinard. New players, new coaches, new AD, new SID.

GFM
              New president as well.

I'll take eight wins. So right about needing the win at home. (Reminder: Our home winless streak against D-I opponents is 28 games (0-25-3), dating back to Jan. 8, 2011 against Bemidji State.)

Of the newcomers, Max McHugh intrigues me the most.
              Michael Napier - UAH '97
              uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

How do we get to eight, though?

Oct. 10-11 at Colorado College — maybe one against the Tigers? But it's home and Haviland's team will be fired to start off the new season right.
                Oct. 17-18 vs. Bowling Green* — the Falcons are good, and unfortunately for UAH, they do play H&H against Miami the weekend prior. Hopefully one here, because it breaks the string.
                Oct. 24-25 at Minnesota State* — I mean, lol, probably not.
                Oct. 31-Nov. 1 at Northern Michigan — I could see picking up a win up there. They may be squeezing their sticks if they're winless at this point.
                Nov. 7-8 at Air Force — it's a homecoming for Corbs, and UAH plays tougher competition, but three consecutive road weekends is hard, and at altitude? Ouch.
                Nov. 14-15 vs. Lake Superior State* — I really feel like the Chargers could get wins (plural) here. Whitten will have gotten a good handle on his team, but they were in disarray last year
                Nov. 21-22 at Ferris State* — see Mankato.
                Nov. 28-29 vs. Michigan Tech* — let's beat the nerds.
                Dec. 12-13 at Alaska* — Fairbanks was a tough place to play last year.
                Dec. 20-21 at Nebraska-Omaha — the other Mavs return a lot of firepower, and those last games before the break are always hard (and almost never here)
                Jan. 2-3 vs. Alaska-Anchorage* — Seawolves fans may claim injuries and all that, but they were a F5 team last year. The boys came close to taking one off of them.
                Jan. 9-10 at Bemidji State* — SWEEP THE RODENTS
                Jan. 16-17 vs. Northern Michigan* — I like our chances.
                Jan. 30-31 at Michigan Tech* — Playing in Houghton is tough, and if the boys give them a licking down here, they're going to be angry as hornets. 10-4 NEVA FORGET
                Feb. 13-14 at Lake Superior State* — The Lakers under Roque always faded in the second half, and even if Whitten is good with the discipline and the conditioning, getting a team to break its conditioning trend in one season. Corbett has a year on Whitten. I like our chances.
                Feb. 20-21 vs. Ferris State* — I would love to shock the Bulldogs, but ... Motte.
                Feb. 27-28 vs. Alaska* — I'm gonna have fun getting under Westy's skin all weekend (and he knows it's coming and that it's in love), and getting a look at the Nanooks' game up there should give the boys a shot here.
                March 6-7 at Bowling Green* — I think that it matters as to how the race goes for the Falcons. If they're 1-2-3, they may take their foot off of the gas a bit and rest up for the home series; if they're lower than that, you get all of their firepower at BGSU Ice Arena.

You can get eight wins out of that. It's another rebuilding year, and while I won't be satisfied with another two-win season (not at all), I will be okay if we're high single-digits with two wins in Brrrmidji.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/wcha...ch-in-the-wcha

"9. Max McHugh, Forward, Alabama-Huntsville

Alabama-Huntsville underwent a major roster turnover over the summer, cutting a number of players from last year's team in order to add some new recruits. Leading the way for that freshman class is Max McHugh. McHugh was a last-minute addition to the Dubuque Fighting Saints of the USHL last season, but went on to be an alternate captain for the Saints, and score 21-13-34 on the season. Adding talented players with experience in college hockey's top feeder league will be a big step towards bringing the UAH program to respectability."

Comment

Here's where all of our recruits are playing this upcoming season:

2015-2016
                    1. Austin Beaulieu Wichita Falls Wildcats NAHL
                    2. Cam Knight Wichita Falls Wildcats NAHL
                    3. Joey Marooney Sioux Falls Stampede USHL
                    4. Teddy Rotenberger Topeka Roadrunners NAHL
                    5. Roberts Smits Bloomington Thunder USHL
                    6. Connor Wood Amarillo Bulls NAHL

2016-2017
                    1. Ivan Bondarenko Wenatchee Wild NAHL

Interesting note: all but two of these kids are American. The other two are European. Clearly our sites appear to be shifting away from the standard Canadian tier II leagues. Like the SBN article said, getting talented players from college hockey's top feeder league will be key to bringing the program back to stability. We're on the right track.

Comment

Originally posted by GetOutDaKitchin View Post
                      Here's where all of our recruits are playing this upcoming season:

2015-2016
                      1. Austin Beaulieu Wichita Falls Wildcats NAHL
                      2. Cam Knight Wichita Falls Wildcats NAHL
                      3. Joey Marooney Sioux Falls Stampede USHL
                      4. Teddy Rotenberger Topeka Roadrunners NAHL
                      5. Roberts Smits Bloomington Thunder USHL
                      6. Connor Wood Amarillo Bulls NAHL

2016-2017
                      1. Ivan Bondarenko Wenatchee Wild NAHL

Interesting note: all but two of these kids are American. The other two are European. Clearly our sites appear to be shifting away from the standard Canadian tier II leagues. Like the SBN article said, getting talented players from college hockey's top feeder league will be key to bringing the program back to stability. We're on the right track.
                      Thanks -- I've updated our commitments page: http://uahhockey.com/commitments/

Also noticed that three of the five Americans are from the South.
                      Michael Napier - UAH '97
                      uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

So what does everyone think of the goalie situation? Is there a favorite at this point? Could Uhelski up end both Larose and Guerriero? I just have a feeling Larose is going to take it and run with it. He's got the size. I know he trained hard in BC this summer. Don't think there's a Cam in this group, but one could easily be a Clarke Saunders or better.

Comment

Originally posted by GetOutDaKitchin View Post
                          So what does everyone think of the goalie situation? Is there a favorite at this point? Could Uhelski up end both Larose and Guerriero? I just have a feeling Larose is going to take it and run with it. He's got the size. I know he trained hard in BC this summer. Don't think there's a Cam in this group, but one could easily be a Clarke Saunders or better.
                          I can only go with what I saw last season, and I guess I'm influenced by Guerriero's .905 save percentage and that 61-save performance at Mankato, but that was then. I think we'll know by the end of October whether we have a true No. 1, assuming we go with the rotation to start. Uhelski was a relatively late addition and will have to shine in order to jump either Larose or Guerriero, I would think.
                          Michael Napier - UAH '97
                          uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

That makes sense. He'll really have to go above and beyond to get ahead. Corbett obviously has a comfort level with the two returning tendies. Hope one takes the bull by the horns and wins it.

In other news, I noticed that Brandon Salerno is no longer listed on the roster. What is up with that? Back for another year of junior?

Comment

I'm on Team Larose. I expect that they've both done the physical work this offseason to be ready for this, but honestly, I just want to go with the bigger kid at this point.

I believe that Salerno is on campus and enrolled in classes.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                              X