This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2014-15

I just rechecked the Hockey Alberta rules on suspensions for Checking From Behind: 1) where a 5 minute penalty and game misconduct is assessed there is a one game suspension; 2) where a match penalty is assessed there is a four game suspension.
    Last edited by hab; 11-04-2014, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hab View Post
      I believe that CFB stands for 'Checking From Behind', which results in a match penalty under Hockey Alberta rules.
      Thanks. That makes complete sense.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by hab View Post
        I just rechecked the Hockey Alberta rules on suspensions for Checking From Behind: 1) where a 5 minute penalty and game misconduct is assessed there is a one game suspension; 2) where a match penalty is assessed there is a four game suspension.
        Now it doesn't make complete sense. He has 22 minutes in total. 5 minor penalties is 10. the game misconduct is another ten which only leaves 2 for the CFB, and he hasn't missed any games and the most recent game sheet only has a minor penalty. http://www.amhl.ab.ca/scoresheet.php...39&season_id=3

I guess that I will now look at all 12 game sheets.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          Now it doesn't make complete sense. He has 22 minutes in total. 5 minor penalties is 10. the game misconduct is another ten which only leaves 2 for the CFB, and he hasn't missed any games and the most recent game sheet only has a minor penalty. http://www.amhl.ab.ca/scoresheet.php...39&season_id=3

I guess that I will now look at all 12 game sheets.
          Here's the score sheet http://www.amhl.ab.ca/scoresheet.php...43&season_id=3. The CFB is a minor penalty and has the game misconduct with it. He didn't miss any games. It was the first game of the season. It still must be checking from behind. I guess that we should be happy that a 5'5" player does at least attempt to play defense.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Here's the score sheet http://www.amhl.ab.ca/scoresheet.php...43&season_id=3. The CFB is a minor penalty and has the game misconduct with it. He didn't miss any games. It was the first game of the season. It still must be checking from behind. I guess that we should be happy that a 5'5" player does at least attempt to play defense.
            Back in the 80s Clarkson had a defenseman named Fretz that they listed at 5'7", but he seemed shorter than that. He was an excellent skater and was predominantly an offensive defenseman. However, he was stronger than you'd think so he wasn't the big liability you'd expect for such a short guy on the back line.

What does this have to do with Babichuk? Really nothing except comparable size. But if he turns out to be anything close to a comparable player (Fretz was an All-American) we'll be very happy. Based on the pictures, however, he'll have to get a lot stronger regardless of his final height.

Comment

Code:
               # Name                Ps commitm. Team (League)                   Year  DOB      Ht    Wt  Hometown
              22 Cory Babichuk       LD 11/02/14 CAC Gregg Distributors(Alb MAAA)2017  09/28/98 5'05" 135 Edmonton, AB 
              27 Todd Burgess        RW 04/14/14 Fairbanks Ice Dogs (NAHL)       15/16 04/03/96 6'02" 180 Phoenix, AZ
              19 Austin Cho          LD 02/24/14 St. Andrews College (CISAA)     2016  05/19/97 6'01" 190 Mississauga, ON
              10 Carlos Fornaris      C 02/13/13 Topeka RoadRunners (NAHL)       2015  02/17/95 5'08" 157 Miami, FL
              12 Jacob Hayhurst       C 02/13/14 Toronto Patriots(OJHL)          2016  01/20/97 5'08" 160 Mississauga, ON
               5 Charles Manley *    LD 12/19/11 Estevan Bruins (SJHL)           2015  07/16/96 5'09" 175 Orchard Park, NY
              15 Meirs Moore *       LD 05/20/13 Victoria Grizzlies (BCHL)       2015  12/04/94 5'09" 180 Duluth, MN
              17 Alex Rodriguez      RW 03/12/14 Sioux City Musketeers (USHL)    2015  12/15/95 6'00" 183 Miami, FL
              15 Evan Tironese *     LC 05/01/12 Alberni Valley Bulldogs (BCHL)  2015  08/02/95 5'11" 175 Qualicum Beach, BC
              94 Brady Wiffen        LC 09/21/14 Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL)     2015  06/09/94 6'02" 190 St. Marys, ON
              30 Alec Dillon          G 09/22/13 Tri-City Storm (USHL)           2015  05/05/96 6'05" 175 Victoria, BC

Women
              76 Jaimie Grigsby       F 04/15/14 Whitby Wolves (PWHL)            2015  04/18/97 5'09" 140 Whitby, ON
              16 Josefine Hansen      D 12/19/13 Shattuck-St Mary's Prep         2015  01/24/97 5'02" 119 Princeton Junction, NJ
              12 Ana Orzechowski      D 01/10/14 Pittsburgh Penguins Elite(T1EHL)2015  12/24/96 5'06' xxx Tonawanda, NY
              18 Makenna Thomas       F 04/15/14 Chicago Young Americans         2015  07/12/97 5'06" 145 Hartland, WI
              35 Lovisa Selander      G 04/15/14 SDE Hockey (Damlag)             2015  03/14/96 5'10" 152 Sollentuna?, Sweden

* In the RPI directory
              # Known to have signed Letter of Intent
              The years the men's recruits are listed as committed for are not necessarily accurate.
              The dates on which some of the women are listed as committing on may be considerably after the actual dates.
              Hang on a sec... we're now recruiting players younger than my oldest niece (actually two of them)?! Now I feel old.

Comment

Why is it ridiculous? Because he's short? Because RPI is following many other teams and recruiting three years in advance? Because you wanted him for whichever team you root for?
                Stupid recruiting. Yes, I hate the recruiting of 14, 15, 16 year olds( as a matter of fact 17 year olds too). Does the kid even know where the school is, what the academics are all about, and what the chance of the coaching staff remaining the staff. More than likely the assistant that does the recruiting will no longer be there. I hold the parents and the staff accountable for this absurdity. I realize it is rampant in DI hockey, but at some point it has to stop. I really hope this verbal commitment thing ends and more power to the programs that say they will not recognize verbals and recruit until a LOI is signed. Also, the chance of a 5'2" 100 pound kid making a dramatic impact at anytime in the future is un calculable, sure give me the 1 in a 1000 example, but that just what it is 1 in a 1000. Probably a back story, like most of these recruits. Brother, father, sister, cousin, uncle, hot mom etc. Like I said, ridiculous

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnieb View Post
                  Stupid recruiting. Yes, I hate the recruiting of 14, 15, 16 year olds( as a matter of fact 17 year olds too). Does the kid even know where the school is, what the academics are all about, and what the chance of the coaching staff remaining the staff. More than likely the assistant that does the recruiting will no longer be there. I hold the parents and the staff accountable for this absurdity. I realize it is rampant in DI hockey, but at some point it has to stop. I really hope this verbal commitment thing ends and more power to the programs that say they will not recognize verbals and recruit until a LOI is signed. Also, the chance of a 5'2" 100 pound kid making a dramatic impact at anytime in the future is un calculable, sure give me the 1 in a 1000 example, but that just what it is 1 in a 1000. Probably a back story, like most of these recruits. Brother, father, sister, cousin, uncle, hot mom etc. Like I said, ridiculous
                  I hate recruiting very young players also, but since other schools are doing it we have to also. As to Babichuk in particular I have to trust SA in his staff in their evaluation of him.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    Hang on a sec... we're now recruiting players younger than my oldest niece (actually two of them)?! Now I feel old.
                    It will get worse. Wait until the players' parents become older than you.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                      Back in the 80s Clarkson had a defenseman named Fretz that they listed at 5'7", but he seemed shorter than that. He was an excellent skater and was predominantly an offensive defenseman. However, he was stronger than you'd think so he wasn't the big liability you'd expect for such a short guy on the back line.

What does this have to do with Babichuk? Really nothing except comparable size. But if he turns out to be anything close to a comparable player (Fretz was an All-American) we'll be very happy. Based on the pictures, however, he'll have to get a lot stronger regardless of his final height.
                      I agree about Fretz. RPI had a defenseman Paul Rakowski ('72) who was probably 5'2", but he wasn't that good and IIRC was cut during his junior year.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

It will get worse. Wait until the players' parents become older than you.
                        They already are; you sure you don't mean players' parents becoming younger than me?

Comment

I agree about Fretz. RPI had a defenseman Paul Rakowski ('72) who was probably 5'2", but he wasn't that good and IIRC was cut during his junior year.
                          No reason we should be giving other teams a chance to play "Squish the Midget".

Comment

They already are; you sure you don't mean players' parents becoming younger than me?
                            Sorry.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

No reason we should be giving other teams a chance to play "Squish the Midget".
                              I am concerned that we are perhaps recruiting too many small defensemen. Manley, Moore, and Babichuk are all small, and Cho is perhaps average. We need to recruit someone to replace Curadi.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I hate recruiting very young players also, but since other schools are doing it we have to also. As to Babichuk in particular I have to trust SA in his staff in their evaluation of him.
                                I have to say that this is the most intriguing recruit for RPI. Huge gamble. Who knows what kind of hockey player he will be in 3 years? It seems to step out of the box in so many ways...his age...his size. But I like it (for RPI, not necessarily for the player, who might have been better advised to wait a year...or two). I might have to see if I can take in a game to watch him play this winter.

Comment

Working...
                                X