Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The NCHC Year Two: Haters Please Form A Queue to the Right

Originally posted by Sioux_fan View Post
    As for Mankato, I think realignment will be a good thing for them. I see them consistently being at the top of the WCHA which they weren't in the old WCHA. They have the challenge cup thing every year with the other Minnesota schools which basically replicates the Final Five. As long as they can continue to keep games with SCSU, UMD, UMinn, I don't think much has changed for them except they will actually start making the tournament frequently.
    Would generally agree with this, although if we were in the NCHC, travel costs would likely be less. As long as the Bi6 only has 6 teams and the NCHC 8 and we get the "Alaska exemption," we should all have enough scheduling flexibility to keep playing each other.

Comment

I guess I don't really understand why Miami is getting so much hate. I still think they get pretty good recruitment. They just had a bad year and sometimes when you start on the wrong foot, everything seems to go wrong. I'm not sure I've seen a team have so much go wrong in one season as 13-14 Miami. To me, I'd be much more concerned about CC. What happened to this program? They haven't been relevant in years. To me, the bottom teams in the NCHC are Western Michigan and CC going forward. UMD, SCSU, and UNO will probably fight for the middle spots most years (although I realize SCSU has been good the last couple years), while I see UND, Miami, and Denver most consistently competing at the top of the league.

As for Mankato, I think realignment will be a good thing for them. I see them consistently being at the top of the WCHA which they weren't in the old WCHA. They have the challenge cup thing every year with the other Minnesota schools which basically replicates the Final Five. As long as they can continue to keep games with SCSU, UMD, UMinn, I don't think much has changed for them except they will actually start making the tournament frequently.
      Blake Coleman got injured. What else went wrong, aside from the fact the team folded like a cheap tent?
      Originally posted by SJHovey
      Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
      Originally posted by Brenthoven
      We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by The Exiled One View Post
        Obligatory: "Yeah, but have you seen SCSU's first half schedule!"
        Yeah that's gonna be a tough row to hoe. But we should know just how talented SCSU is after playing Colgate, Union, and Minnesota....just in October! Then you've got 4 games against UND plus Quinnipiac in January.
        St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

I guess I don't really understand why Miami is getting so much hate.
          I don't need any REASON to hate Miami.
          I just do.
          I hate the rest of your conference, simply by extension.
          Any friend of my enemy is my enemy.
          Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
            I just do.
            Jealousy is a good look on you.

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
              I just do.
              Glad to see nothing has changed around here

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                Wow.

No, I hadn't.

Great googly moogly.
                Now it's official, the #7 Huskies play the #6, #5, and #1 ranked teams to start their season. They follow that up with a .500 team, a .537 team, then the #2 ranked team. They don't play a team with a losing record until after Thanksgiving. The first six teams the Huskies face have a combined '13-'14 record of 140-73-27.
                scsuhockey.com
                CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

The NCHC as a whole has a pretty solid non-conference schedule. I think every team other than Miami is scheduled to play at least 4 games against teams in the pre-season Top 15. I also think that out of those 35 games or so, about two thirds are on the road or at "neutral" locations.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                    True enough, and, our schedule is pretty brutal in the first half.

The Purple Cows at home, runaway winners of the WCHA pre-season poll. At Cornell, who received a 1st place vote in the ECAC pre-season poll. Away at North Dakota, winners of the NCHC pre-season poll. At St Cloud State. Home against Miami, a trip to Ohio State, etc.

That said, I think this is a team that improves as the season wears on. I'll be interested in seeing how well we compete and how competitive these 1/2 half games are because all those freshman are going to play and play a lot.
                    UNO's incoming class was ranked 3rd by OTB... Lots of talent coming in. I'm still sad that Jake Randolph didnt chose UMD...but not everyone wants to stay home.
                    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

• Re: The NCHC Year Two: Haters Please Form A Queue to the Right

With all this talk of the NCHC's strong non-conference record last year...wasn't it pairwise record for teams that not great?
                      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                        With all this talk of the NCHC's strong non-conference record last year...wasn't it pairwise record for teams that not great?
                        The NCHC's non-conference performance sucked last year. It has the potential to suck this year as well. In my opinion the two top teams in the conference will be Miami and UND, and they appear to have the softest non-conference schedule. SCSU figures to be solid as well, but their schedule is brutal. That means we'll be depending upon some of the conferences weaker teams to pick off some wins against some pretty health competition.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                          UNO's incoming class was ranked 3rd by OTB... Lots of talent coming in. I'm still sad that Jake Randolph didnt chose UMD...but not everyone wants to stay home.
                          You are correct sir, a few teams had less than stellar records against their non-conference opponents. Last season, the NCHC came in fourth in OOC record of 40-34-16 (.533). A few NCHC teams lost to some really bad teams . Counting NCHC playoff games, here's some of the reasons the NCHC's PWR was so low last season... C.C. went 1-11-1 in NC games. UNO was 4-10.
                          Last edited by Goon; 09-30-2014, 11:47 AM.
                          Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
                          Eric's Twitter
                          The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
                            You are correct sir, a few teams had less than stellar records against their non-conference opponents. Last season, the NCHC came in fourth in OOC record of 40-34-16 (.533). A few NCHC teams lost to some really bad teams . Counting NCHC playoff games, here's some of the reasons the NCHC's PWR was so low last season... C.C. went 1-11-1 in NC games. UNO was 4-10.
                            Yikes. Good thing we were so good against the WCHA. Thanks for reminding us, butthurt fans
                            Last edited by Biddco; 09-30-2014, 04:35 PM.
                            tUMD Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by BGFan View Post
                              Trust me when I say that Miami and WMU are second guessing their decision to join. The exorbitant cost of travel has hardly been offset by playing teams that nobody outside of hockey knows anything about. Attendance at home games has been anything but stellar. In a few years when the CCHA reforms (and it will) don't be surprised if those two say C-Ya! to the NCHC.

I don't hate the NCHC but I won't feel the least bit sorry for you when your league comes crashing down because it is unsustainable.
                              I say the NCHC drops WMU and Miami and takes on Bemidji and Mankato.
                              I wanna go fast!

Comment

• Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
                                I say the NCHC drops WMU and Miami and takes on Bemidji and Mankato.
                                If you want a weaker conference.

Comment

Working...
                                X