USA Hockey? Scam or what???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA Hockey? Scam or what???

I have noticed that for the past eight years there has been a up and down, in and out with respect to players being invited to USA Hockey "Higher level camps"!!!! a little BS if you ask me "and I have checked with people in the know" players who have been invited in pervious years who performed better the the next year were no invited?? and payers who played on winning teams were called up regardless of the overwhelming odds the other players had to overcome? Scam? Lazy? or??

go back and look at the lists and decide for yourselves!!!!

I don't really want to point it out for you!

So,

all things considered, it looks like that if you want to play at the highest levels play on a team that wins or has a coach that is a KA!!!

Just go back and look!

if I don't see any do diligence I will point it out as Ben.S. has pointed it out to me!!!!
    Last edited by YabaDabaDoo; 07-17-2014, 10:37 PM.

Re: USA Hockey? Scam or what???

Originally posted by YabaDabaDoo View Post
    I have noticed that for the past eight years there has been a up and down, in and out with respect to players being invited to USA Hockey "Higher level camps"!!!! a little BS if you ask me "and I have checked with people in the know" players who have been invited in pervious years who performed better the the next year were no invited?? and payers who played on winning teams were called up regardless of the overwhelming odds the other players had to overcome? Scam? Lazy? or??

So,

all things considered, it looks like that if you want to play at the highest levels play on a team that wins or has a coach that is a KA!!!

Just go back and look!

if I don't see any do diligence I will point it out as Ben.S. has pointed it out to me!!!!

Sorry that your daughter didn't make it. I'm sure she'd be mortified to know that this is how you lobbied for her, however.

Comment

So,

Just go back and look!

http://truegif.com/pictures/gif/3393.gif
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Also that's a quality thread title.

Comment

So,

Just go back and look!

not a perfect system but i think they get it right more often than not. unfortunately, because of constraints, it's rather subjective and doesn't consider a players longer term body of work but it's what we've got. kind of a microcosm of what you see with teams in games or tournaments all the time. teams that normally would win lay an egg or run into a hot goalie, etc. the best teams don't always win. one thing i'd like to see is a little more transparency. public feedback from the evaluators as to what exactly they saw and notes on players. i think it could potentially be valuable info to the kids that didn't make it.
          Last edited by Genbeau; 07-18-2014, 10:01 AM.

Comment

are my only choices really "scam" or "what" ?

Comment

I lean to agree with Genbeau to some degree.

The system is never perfect and is subjective. But, some trust has to be had in the process. Sometimes errors will be made and speaking in relative terms, this will happen at the highest of levels and can be debated as such even when you consider teams such as the mens and womens Olympic teams – US and Canada.

One area I wouldn’t want is the “public feedback”. I would guard against that. Decisions are made in closed-door settings for a reason much like top level decisions that are made in the real world.

However, I agree wholeheartedly that feedback MUST get back to the player from the program evaluators and coaches so that the players that invest in the commitment and dedication to get to where they are can further their development. They deserve to know where they stand, what they need to work on and how to get to the next level. And, this is not only for the players but their parents as well as they are obviously a big part of their daughter’s development. And, this feedback must also get back to the player’s club team coaches and trainers so that they can further foster their player’s development in order to help them reach their goals.

One other point I’ll make is that there are many players that are close in skill, development and what they have to offer. I’m certain the program evaluators and coaches may sometime ‘plug n play’ to get a look at a different player. They may pull a player that they’ve already seen already and been part of the program to try another player to see how she looks instead for that same role. The evaluators can make proper comparisons this way so.

And for the betterment of the program itself, it brings in more players thus raising the bar of the entire program. (ie. Big Picture) This, then, has a trickle-down effect. When more players are selected to go to these types of camps and then return to their club teams, this new elite level experience makes her teammates better which makes that team better which forces their competition to be better.

It’s important to remember - high tide raises all the boats.

So, is the system perfect? Not at all. But, it’s a system with many, many factors affecting the decision making that goes towards making the game better.

Hard decisions are sometimes made and it’s difficult to accept or even understand why – unfortunately.

Comment

sports are no different than the real world

does a company always hire the best? no
                do the deserving people always get picked for promotion? no
                do the company's with the best products sell the most? no
                ...and on it goes

you can learn a lot by participating in sports whether as a parent, coach, player, or even fan
                one thing nice about sports though is that it probably is more true than the "real" world, when they fail to pick the best , the outcome more often than not reveals it

Comment

Biggest scam ever- Blake Bolden not even making the Olympic evaluation camp, even though Blake was better then bascially all of the defensemen that made the team.

Comment

what???

Comment

Originally posted by sheagle008 View Post
                      Biggest scam ever- Blake Bolden not even making the Olympic evaluation camp, even though Blake was better then bascially all of the defensemen that made the team.
                      No question the Blake Bolden scam is right up there with Bernie Madoff, Tyco, Enron, Freddie Mac/Fannie Mae, etc.
                      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                        do the deserving people always get picked for promotion? no
                        I'm sorry you got passed over for that promotion bud.

Comment

Originally posted by AggiesHockey View Post
                          what???
                          I see what you did there

Comment

Ben Smith is not an elite hockey mind.

Comment

Originally posted by 123kidd View Post
                              Ben Smith is not an elite hockey mind.
                              That depends on which Ben Smith you're talking about

Comment

Working...
                              X