Cornell Big Red Women's Hockey 2014-15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cornell Big Red Women's Hockey 2014-15

Cornell's official announcement on its class of 2018.

http://www.cornellbigred.com/news/20...716140808.aspx

2014-2015 Roster

http://www.cornellbigred.com/roster.aspx?path=whockey&

Re: Cornell Big Red Women's Hockey 2014-15

Originally posted by mattj711 View Post
    Cornell's official announcement on its class of 2018.

http://www.cornellbigred.com/news/20...716140808.aspx

2014-2015 Roster

http://www.cornellbigred.com/roster.aspx?path=whockey&
    Looks like a talent laden roster...thus piques my curiosity and interest in any ECAC fans pre-season conference rankings. Surely Cornell is a strong contender for the conference title...yes?
    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
      Looks like a talent laden roster...thus piques my curiosity and interest in any ECAC fans pre-season conference rankings. Surely Cornell is a strong contender for the conference title...yes?
      Talented yes, but what i noticed was that it is a SHORT roster. There are only 17 skaters rostered - 2 or 3 injuries and they are in trouble. Surprised that they can't field a bigger team....

And 3 freshman on D - this seems like a team that could go pretty heavily either way depending on injuries and development...

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
        Cornell are a great program, and Clarkson are losing a very strong senior class, but Harvard have three returning Olympians and a freshman class packed with U18s. Harvard have to be preseason favorite IMHO; very tight between Clarkson and Cornell for second; and Quinnipiac will threaten to pass fourth but probably won't.

Comment

Originally posted by wwhyte View Post
          Cornell are a great program, and Clarkson are losing a very strong senior class, but Harvard have three returning Olympians and a freshman class packed with U18s. Harvard have to be preseason favorite IMHO; very tight between Clarkson and Cornell for second; and Quinnipiac will threaten to pass fourth but probably won't.
          With the loss of 7 seniors who contributed so much to the Clarkson offense, defense and goaltending and a freshman class that to me does not possess much goal scoring capability, I do not see Clarkson being able to challenge either Cornell or Hahvad for #1 or #2 in the ECAC. Quinny, Prinny, SLU, Yale, Dartmouth and Clarkson to me are all in the mix for the 3 thru 8 slots not in any particular order. Matt Desrosiers and Matt Kelly will have done one heck of a coaching job if Clarkson ends up in one of the top 3 slots in the ECAC.
          Last edited by vicb; 07-17-2014, 01:04 PM.
          Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
          And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
          WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
          If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
            Matt Desrosiers and Matt Kelly will have done one heck of a coaching job if Clarkson ends up in one of the top 3 slots in the ECAC.
            I'd agree if you said top 2. I'd say Clarkson has an edge over anyone else for the third spot. The Golden Knights have more top-end skaters than the teams outside of Harvard and Cornell, so if they get decent goaltending, then they are the favorite for a top-three finish.

Colgate has a pretty good class coming in, so I'd put the Raiders in the conversation for a playoff spot.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
              With the loss of 7 seniors who contributed so much to the Clarkson offense, defense and goaltending and a freshman class that to me does not possess much goal scoring capability, I do not see Clarkson being able to challenge either Cornell or Hahvad for #1 or #2 in the ECAC. Quinny, Prinny, SLU, Yale, Dartmouth and Clarkson to me are all in the mix for the 3 thru 8 slots not in any particular order. Matt Desrosiers and Matt Kelly will have done one heck of a coaching job if Clarkson ends up in one of the top 3 slots in the ECAC.
              Having looked at players/points returning for all 12 ECAC teams, as well as the announced recruits for each, I'd say it's highly likely Clarkson will finish somewhere solidly between 3rd and 5th next season even without a stellar recruiting class to replace the one they just lost. So I'd agree with ARM that the Matts don't have to be unusually brilliant for them to finish 3rd.

Comment

Cornell's 2014-15 schedule has finally been released.

http://www.cornellbigred.com/schedul...?path=whockey&

Non-conference games include Boston College (2), UMD (2), Mercyhurst, Syracuse, BU. There is also an exhibition game against McGill at the beginning of January.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  I'd agree if you said top 2. I'd say Clarkson has an edge over anyone else for the third spot. The Golden Knights have more top-end skaters than the teams outside of Harvard and Cornell, so if they get decent goaltending, then they are the favorite for a top-three finish.

Colgate has a pretty good class coming in, so I'd put the Raiders in the conversation for a playoff spot.
                  I would agree with the general consensus that the top three in the ECAC will be Harvard, Cornell and Clarkson. I expect Yale to take another big step forward in challenging those three with not much lost to graduation, strong goaltending, and another promising recruiting class. Colgate's class also looks to be strong.

My biggest concern when it comes to Cornell is defense. This is the second year in a row that Cornell has lost two outstanding senior defensemen. It also appears Kelly Murray will be transferring to UBC. While she missed pretty significant portions of both of her seasons at Cornell due to injuries, I thought she showed a lot of promise when healthy. The three freshmen defensemen coming in sound solid, but I don't really know all that much about them other than they are generally much taller than I have been accustomed to seeing on Cornell's blue line. Hopefully, they don't take much time to adjust to the college game.
                  Last edited by mattj711; 08-13-2014, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately Matt, the Big Red are down to 2 freshman D this year. Check out Saracco's instagram and you'll see she's out for a 6 month recovery. Hope she recovers on time -- she's a great kid!

Comment

I would agree with the general consensus that the top three in the ECAC will be Harvard, Cornell and Clarkson. I expect Yale to take another big step forward in challenging those three with not much lost to graduation, strong goaltending, and another promising recruiting class. Colgate's class also looks to be strong.

My biggest concern when it comes to Cornell is defense. This is the second year in a row that Cornell has lost two outstanding senior defensemen. It also appears Kelly Murray will be transferring to UBC. While she missed pretty significant portions of both of her seasons at Cornell due to injuries, I thought she showed a lot of promise when healthy. The three freshmen defensemen coming in sound solid, but I don't really know all that much about them other than they are generally much taller than I have been accustomed to seeing on Cornell's blue line. Hopefully, they don't take much time to adjust to the college game.
                      Check your rep.

I agree with all of your comments above. Should be an interesting year for Cornell. With easily the best top 6 forward group in the league in terms of offensive production, this will clearly translate into a lot of wins. However, for the first time in many years Cornell doesn't look to compare especially favourably to many other teams at the back end, and certainly not in terms of experience. That could make for some exciting high scoring games at both ends of the ice perhaps with less predictable outcomes. As you say, much will depend on the ability of newcomers to step up.

Is it October yet?
                      Last edited by Trillium; 08-13-2014, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
                        Check your rep.
                        Thank you for the info! That was my hunch.

Comment

Originally posted by pakidnyc View Post
                          Unfortunately Matt, the Big Red are down to 2 freshman D this year. Check out Saracco's instagram and you'll see she's out for a 6 month recovery. Hope she recovers on time -- she's a great kid!
                          That isn't good. Cornell will have a very short bench. Do you know if McKim is healthy? She also missed most of her high school senior season due to injury.

Comment

That isn't good. Cornell will have a very short bench. Do you know if McKim is healthy? She also missed most of her high school senior season due to injury.
                            McKim is healthy and has been at school training. She played at Nationals and played great. Awesome kid!

Comment

Congrats to Alyssa Gagliardi for making USA Hockey's Natl team eval camp. Very deserved! She can block shots like no other!

Comment

Working...
                              X