Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arizona State wishes it had D1 hockey

ASU Hockey: Athletic Director Ray Anderson discusses chances of NCAA move

http://www.houseofsparky.com/2014/7/14/5900007/asu-hockey-ncaa-ray-anderson-title-ixa

No real substantial info on moving towards a program. It is positive to hear their Athletic Director is supportive of hockey. But he's a pretty big optimist. He kind of glosses over the major hurdles saying things like there's a way to make it work.

Re: Arizona State wishes it had D1 hockey

Oooh, good idea. Let's start a college program in the same market as the worst-performing NHL team.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
      Oooh, good idea. Let's start a college program in the same market as the worst-performing NHL team.
      as much as I want to see southern teams fail, let's recall they built the arena in a bad location. ASU, has what, 120K students? Get 1% of that to show up...
      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
      Skating Friar Jersey
      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

I've heard Arizona draws pretty well. Some quick research says they are averaging around 2000 for regular games and can sell out their 7000 seat arena for games against ASU. Meanwhile ASU is only drawing around 300-500 for their games. From what i hear NAU doesn't draw too shabby either, but I highly doubt they'd be willing to try varsity level hockey again.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
          as much as I want to see southern teams fail, let's recall they built the arena in a bad location. ASU, has what, 120K students? Get 1% of that to show up...
          I take it that your PhD. is in a field other than Math. Considering the size of ASU and the crowds they draw for FB and Bouncyball, 1200 fans at a D1 hockey game would be kind of disappointing. If that's what they get, they'll need a lot of local support from fans who remember the great ASU hockey teams of the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
            ASU sports an enrollment of ~60K. In comparison MN is ~50K. While certainly large enough to support a program, there would have to be a phenomenally high level of interest by the student body to make it self sufficient.
            "We all got it comin', kid." -William Munny

Comment

Originally posted by Gopho Sapiens View Post
              ASU sports an enrollment of ~60K. In comparison MN is ~50K. While certainly large enough to support a program, there would have to be a phenomenally high level of interest by the student body to make it self sufficient.
              Don't really see how it would work.

ASU and Arizona are big schools with good sports fanbases, but primarily for sports like baseball and basketball, sports kids in that area play. Furthermore, if a program like ASU were to jump into D-1 hockey, they would be playing against teams like Minnesota, UND, Denver, Miami, Wisconsin, etc..., and not the school's more traditional (or geographically more proximate) rivals like UCLA, USC, and Oregon.

There are a lot of transplanted midwesterners in the Phoenix and Tucson areas in the winter, but I don't see them doing much more than picking up an occasional ticket to a game with their team from back home.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

If something like this is ever going to get off the ground, it will be after Penn State has established themselves as a legit, self sustaining program... That is what other BCS schools will look at first if/when they are going to consider starting up programs... Unfortunately we are 5-8 years off before PSU can get themselves on solid ground in that department...
                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by HHound View Post
                  I take it that your PhD. is in a field other than Math. Considering the size of ASU and the crowds they draw for FB and Bouncyball, 1200 fans at a D1 hockey game would be kind of disappointing. If that's what they get, they'll need a lot of local support from fans who remember the great ASU hockey teams of the past.
                  1200 students, and yes, I don't know a lot about their local dynamics. I will admit my ignorance. Bottom line is if you have enough people you only need a sliver to take interest. It's another thing to say they'll be gonzo successful.

As for the rest, the lead authorship papers keep me warm.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                    ?.......... Unfortunately we are 5-8 years off before PSU can get themselves on solid ground in that department...
                    Trust me, I know Guy and it won't take him half that time to build a winner at PSU!
                    Alaska - My Very Big Back Yard!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Schlacker Rat View Post
                      Trust me, I know Guy and it won't take him half that time to build a winner at PSU!
                      New programs have made the NCAAs, especially if they're a senior laden class.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Would be an awesome winter road trip though.

Comment

ASU charges for their club games. I refused to pay the $5-10 to watch an ASU club team play when for the same price I can at least watch an AHA team play.

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                          I've heard Arizona draws pretty well. Some quick research says they are averaging around 2000 for regular games and can sell out their 7000 seat arena for games against ASU. Meanwhile ASU is only drawing around 300-500 for their games. From what i hear NAU doesn't draw too shabby either, but I highly doubt they'd be willing to try varsity level hockey again.
                          RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            Would be an awesome winter road trip though.
                            When we were down there last spring I was pushing goldy Jr to think about ASU as they are highly ranked in the major he's considering, they have 3 club hockey teams and mom and dad would love to come visit during the school year.

Comment

ASU has the program...LA is the better market.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                              X