PDA

View Full Version : Arizona State wishes it had D1 hockey

Pages : [1] 2

slowe
07-15-2014, 10:21 PM
ASU Hockey: Athletic Director Ray Anderson discusses chances of NCAA move

http://www.houseofsparky.com/2014/7/14/5900007/asu-hockey-ncaa-ray-anderson-title-ixa

No real substantial info on moving towards a program. It is positive to hear their Athletic Director is supportive of hockey. But he's a pretty big optimist. He kind of glosses over the major hurdles saying things like there's a way to make it work.

brassbonanza
07-15-2014, 11:21 PM
Oooh, good idea. Let's start a college program in the same market as the worst-performing NHL team.

Patman
07-16-2014, 12:29 AM
Oooh, good idea. Let's start a college program in the same market as the worst-performing NHL team.

as much as I want to see southern teams fail, let's recall they built the arena in a bad location. ASU, has what, 120K students? Get 1% of that to show up...

Spartanforlife4
07-16-2014, 12:47 AM
I've heard Arizona draws pretty well. Some quick research says they are averaging around 2000 for regular games and can sell out their 7000 seat arena for games against ASU. Meanwhile ASU is only drawing around 300-500 for their games. From what i hear NAU doesn't draw too shabby either, but I highly doubt they'd be willing to try varsity level hockey again.

HHound
07-16-2014, 08:42 AM
as much as I want to see southern teams fail, let's recall they built the arena in a bad location. ASU, has what, 120K students? Get 1% of that to show up...

I take it that your PhD. is in a field other than Math. Considering the size of ASU and the crowds they draw for FB and Bouncyball, 1200 fans at a D1 hockey game would be kind of disappointing. If that's what they get, they'll need a lot of local support from fans who remember the great ASU hockey teams of the past.:rolleyes:

Gopho Sapiens
07-16-2014, 09:06 AM

ASU sports an enrollment of ~60K. In comparison MN is ~50K. While certainly large enough to support a program, there would have to be a phenomenally high level of interest by the student body to make it self sufficient.

SJHovey
07-16-2014, 09:22 AM
ASU sports an enrollment of ~60K. In comparison MN is ~50K. While certainly large enough to support a program, there would have to be a phenomenally high level of interest by the student body to make it self sufficient.Don't really see how it would work.

ASU and Arizona are big schools with good sports fanbases, but primarily for sports like baseball and basketball, sports kids in that area play. Furthermore, if a program like ASU were to jump into D-1 hockey, they would be playing against teams like Minnesota, UND, Denver, Miami, Wisconsin, etc..., and not the school's more traditional (or geographically more proximate) rivals like UCLA, USC, and Oregon.

There are a lot of transplanted midwesterners in the Phoenix and Tucson areas in the winter, but I don't see them doing much more than picking up an occasional ticket to a game with their team from back home.

RaceBoarder
07-16-2014, 12:58 PM
If something like this is ever going to get off the ground, it will be after Penn State has established themselves as a legit, self sustaining program... That is what other BCS schools will look at first if/when they are going to consider starting up programs... Unfortunately we are 5-8 years off before PSU can get themselves on solid ground in that department...

Patman
07-16-2014, 01:45 PM
I take it that your PhD. is in a field other than Math. Considering the size of ASU and the crowds they draw for FB and Bouncyball, 1200 fans at a D1 hockey game would be kind of disappointing. If that's what they get, they'll need a lot of local support from fans who remember the great ASU hockey teams of the past.:rolleyes:

1200 students, and yes, I don't know a lot about their local dynamics. I will admit my ignorance. Bottom line is if you have enough people you only need a sliver to take interest. It's another thing to say they'll be gonzo successful.

As for the rest, the lead authorship papers keep me warm.

Schlacker Rat
07-17-2014, 12:26 AM
?.......... Unfortunately we are 5-8 years off before PSU can get themselves on solid ground in that department...

Trust me, I know Guy and it won't take him half that time to build a winner at PSU!

Patman
07-17-2014, 12:45 AM
Trust me, I know Guy and it won't take him half that time to build a winner at PSU!

New programs have made the NCAAs, especially if they're a senior laden class.

Scarlet
07-17-2014, 08:01 AM
Would be an awesome winter road trip though.

lmg6841
07-17-2014, 10:43 AM
ASU charges for their club games. I refused to pay the $5-10 to watch an ASU club team play when for the same price I can at least watch an AHA team play.

I've heard Arizona draws pretty well. Some quick research says they are averaging around 2000 for regular games and can sell out their 7000 seat arena for games against ASU. Meanwhile ASU is only drawing around 300-500 for their games. From what i hear NAU doesn't draw too shabby either, but I highly doubt they'd be willing to try varsity level hockey again.

goldy_331
07-17-2014, 12:27 PM
Would be an awesome winter road trip though.

When we were down there last spring I was pushing goldy Jr to think about ASU as they are highly ranked in the major he's considering, they have 3 club hockey teams and mom and dad would love to come visit during the school year. ;)

5mn_Major
07-17-2014, 12:45 PM
ASU has the program...LA is the better market.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
07-18-2014, 08:03 AM
Without knowing the arena situation, there's probably enough reason to think that a fair few of the Pac-12 teams could sustain a hockey program. It's just a question of Title IX (and probably arena).

Spartanforlife4
07-18-2014, 09:53 AM
Without knowing the arena situation, there's probably enough reason to think that a fair few of the Pac-12 teams could sustain a hockey program. It's just a question of Title IX (and probably arena).

Arizona- Like I said before, they're a club team averaging around 2000 and charge up to $18 for tickets (http://www.arizonawildcathockey.org/page/show/390400-tickets) with season ticket plans going for $240, for a club team.
ASU- Well, it sounds like they have some support.
Stanford- Has the money, the Sharks fanbase could attach to them, and they're already set out for collegiate athletic domination with their 20th straight Directors Cup title.
Oregon- Nike
Colorado- Might as well. Denver, AF, and CC all have teams in the state.

The one I know that would be out for sure is Cal. Their AD is in shambles.

owslachief
07-18-2014, 10:00 AM
Come on ... really?

Spartanforlife4
07-18-2014, 10:06 AM
Come on ... really?

Would it really be summer here if we didn't speculate about new programs?

goldy_331
07-18-2014, 11:05 AM
Would it really be summer here if we didn't speculate about new programs?

Only if we had two or three threads about the college hockey video game.