Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SUNYAC OFFSEASON 2014-2015 (News, Commitments, Etc.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUNYAC OFFSEASON 2014-2015 (News, Commitments, Etc.)

SUNYAC POST SEASON PRO's

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    F- Michael Zannella (Buffalo State) - Fayetteville FireAntz (SPHL)

G- Kevin Carr (Buffalo State) - Peoria Rivermen (SPHL) & Colorado Eagles (ECHL)

D- Todd Graham (Buffalo State) - Melbourne Ice (AIHL) **Australian Ice Hockey League**

G- Mark Balkwill (SUNY-Cortland) - Elmira Jackals (ECHL)

F- Stephen Nardi (SUNY-Cortland) - Knoxville IceBears (SPHL)

F- Ryan Marcuz (SUNY-Morrisville) - Mississippi Riverkings (SPHL)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________

SUNYAC FINAL STATISTICS: Top 20

1 Matt Galati Oswego FR F 29 1.24 24-12-36
    2 Alex Botten Oswego FR F 30 1.13 10-24-34
    3 Tyler Brickler Geneseo JR F 29 1.10 18-14-32
    4 Justin Scharfe Geneseo JR F 29 1.07 11-20-31
    Zachary Vit Geneseo SR F 30 1.03 18-13-31 *Graduate*
    6 Mike Montagna Oswego JR F 31 0.97 12-18-30
    7 Alex Jensen Plattsburgh JR F 24 1.21 13-16-29
    8 Nick Zappia Cortland JR F 23 1.22 11-17-28
    9 Dan Turgeon Buffalo State JR F 25 1.08 12-15-27
    Ryan Stanimir Geneseo JR F 30 0.90 11-16-27
    Bobby Gertsakis Oswego JR D 30 0.90 1-26-27
    12 Kenny Neil Oswego FR F 23 1.13 11-15-26
    13 Chris Cangro Brockport SR F 23 1.04 7-17-24*Graduate*
    Chase Nieuwendyk Brockport SO F 25 0.96 8-16-24
    Dillan Fox Plattsburgh SO F 26 0.92 9-15-24
    David Ripple Geneseo SO F 29 0.83 9-15-24
    Stephen Collins Geneseo FR F 30 0.80 13-11-24
    18 Mike Arnold Potsdam SR F 25 0.92 17- 6-23 *Graduate*
    Nick Rivait Oswego JR D 27 0.85 3-20-23
    20 Darren Young Morrisville FR F 24 0.92 6-16-22
    Mike Zannella Buffalo State SR F 25 0.88 7-15-22 *Graduate*
    Chris Luker Brockport SO D 26 0.85 9-13-22

Thoughts, Comments, 2014-15 Predictions?

Re: SUNYAC OFFSEASON 2014-2015 (News, Commitments, Etc.)

SUNY CANTON's 2014-15
    1 Cory Giczewski Canton SR D 23 0.87 11- 9-20
    2 J.R. Lafferty Canton JR D 22 0.73 3-13-16
    Kristian Leach Canton SO F 23 0.70 7- 9-16
    4 Dave Schneider Canton JR F 19 0.68 6- 7-13
    5 Austin Root Canton JR F 22 0.41 4- 5- 9
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

SUNY Canton College 2014-15 MCMARTIN, Brandon Smiths Falls Bears (CCHL)
    SUNY Canton College 2014-15 BEASLEY, Ben Westport Rideaus Jr. B (EOJHL)
    SUNY Canton College 2014-15 MATSUMOTO, Kyle Wilkes Barre/Scranton Knights (EHL)
    SUNY Canton College 2014-15 COSTELLO, Brett Smiths Falls Bears (CCHL)
    SUNY Canton College 2014-15 SOVA, Josh Syracuse Stampede (NSHL)
    SUNY Canton College 2014-15 KULCZYCKI, Kasey Kanata Lasers (CCHL)
    SUNY Canton College 2014-15 YULE, Trenton Kanata Stallions (CCHL)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________

Overall 6-14-3
    Home 1-7-2
    Away 5-6-1
    Neutral 0-1

Comment

What is going on with the Cortland head coaching search? I heard they did phone interviews about 2 months ago but still haven't done on campus interviews. Anyone have any info?

Comment

Let me be the first to make predictions for the 2014-2015 season. Feel free to agree or disagree.

1) OswegoThis was a team that really exceeded all expectations. This was a group of guys who was not expected to make a run to the Frozen Four. Despite a third place finish, they were able to end Plattsburgh's streak of SUNYAC finals appearances, and outslug Geneseo in probably the best college hockey game ever played. From there they rallied against Bowdoin and shut out a defensively tough Babson team before being stopped by a UWSP team with a good goalie. Ed Gosek did a very good job, and he has key pieces back from that team, including a healthy Kenny Neil, SUNYAC Tournament MVP Alex Botten, and SUNYAC Rookie of the Year Matt Galati.
        2) Geneseo Chris Schultz did an awesome job with this group of guys. This team, like Oswego, exceeded expectations, and made a surprise run to the Frozen Four of their own, ending Norwich's Frozen Four streak in the process. Also like Oswego, many of Geneseo's star players are back, including Brickler. While they have all the pieces to win the conference, they'll be stung by the loss of Zachary Vit, the SUNYAC MVP.
        3) PlattsburghThis was a tough call for me. As good a coach as Bob Emery is, Plattsburgh just underachieved in 2014. Those two losses to Oswego at the end of the year hurt Plattsburgh in a big way. Losing Mathieu Cadieux may hurt, but word has it that Emery snagged a D1 goalie. Platty has some key players back as well, but can they hold their own against Oswego and Geneseo? Questions galore. I feel Emery will do a good job, however.
        4) BrockportBrockport was a real dark horse in 2014, shocking Oswego in Oswego late in the season. Brian Dickinson has most of his major players back and a team looking to make major noise. Stars like Nieuwendyk, Luker, and Taylor will be back, and they have their goalies back as well.
        5) FredoniaFredonia looked like a team that was going to make noise, shocking Oswego in overtime on Oswego's opening night. But they fell to the last playoff spot, and Oswego got revenge for that season-opening defeat. The youth movement is in full force at Freddy, and both goalies are back, as are 2012 Rookie of the Year Jared Wynia and Stephen Castriota, Freddy's leader in every offensive category.
        6) PotsdamPotsdam got off to a sluggish start last season, but after Christmas, this team got hot. They upset Geneseo at the Ira, and played Oswego tough at home. However it just wasn't enough to get Potsdam into the SUNYACs. But with Billy Pascalli, the team's only point per game player back, Potsdam could very well sneak into the playoffs.
        7) CortlandLike Potsdam, this C State team could also sneak into the playoffs. But questions abound, particularly about (as I write this) who will coach the team. Cortland has Nick Zappia back for his senior season, and a promising recruiting class may help things too. But with the team in controversy, Cortland may either be very good or very bad, which is why they're ranked as low as this.
        8) MorrisvilleThis young team could be improved from the 2014 version of Moville. Many of their key pieces of back, and the goalie situation looks to smooth over as well, with Azzano handing the reins to (probably) Rasmussen.
        9)CantonWelcome to the SUNYAC, Canton. The shiny new rink and a good recruiting class could make Canton a big draw in a few years. The young team could be fun to watch, and Trevor Gilligan's gang could also pull off some upsets here or there. But Canton is playing in a pretty stacked league and may have some growing pains as they get accustomed to the SUNYAC.
        10) Buffalo StateWell, Buffalo State will need help in replacing Kevin Carr. On the other hand, several of their stars are back including Turgeon. Carriere has recruited well in the past, and knowing him, maybe the goalie situation will smooth itself over. But again, Kevin Carr leaves a big void.

Comment

Nice write up! I haven't completed mine but the Top 3 are the same (go figure). I don't believe Canton will be recorded this season also. I will let a little of my data leak here however as I figured out how much (%) these teams will be losing (points, goals, pp goals, penalties ect) offensively. When you subtract their loss of goals from their offensive numbers, some teams are really losing a lot that they never had to begin with.

# team % pts loss
          1. oswego 5.94%
          2. plattsburgh 12.9%
          3. geneseo 18.3%
          4. fredonia 19.5%
          5. morrisville 20.3%
          6. brockport 22%
          7. potsdam 29.3
          8. buff st 30.7
          9. cortland 36%
          Remy Babineaux
          remyb616@gmail.com
          D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
            Nice write up! I haven't completed mine but the Top 3 are the same (go figure). I don't believe Canton will be recorded this season also. I will let a little of my data leak here however as I figured out how much (%) these teams will be losing (points, goals, pp goals, penalties ect) offensively. When you subtract their loss of goals from their offensive numbers, some teams are really losing a lot that they never had to begin with.

# team % pts loss
            1. oswego 5.94%
            2. plattsburgh 12.9%
            3. geneseo 18.3%
            4. fredonia 19.5%
            5. morrisville 20.3%
            6. brockport 22%
            7. potsdam 29.3
            8. buff st 30.7
            9. cortland 36%
            Well, thank you very much for that. Should've taken your advice on that one. Your predictions are not that different from mine. I just judged them by who was coming back and who wasn't. My Lakers have a good group of guys, and as for your Cards they are well-coached by a great recruiter.

Comment

Originally posted by DanyDOSU2015 View Post
              Well, thank you very much for that. Should've taken your advice on that one. Your predictions are not that different from mine. I just judged them by who was coming back and who wasn't. My Lakers have a good group of guys, and as for your Cards they are well-coached by a great recruiter.
              Those aren't my rankings. Close but not exactly. Thats just simply % of points loss....
              Remy Babineaux
              remyb616@gmail.com
              D3FHL Web Page

Comment

DanyDOSU2015 I agree with your rankings but I feel if Oswego has trouble finding a guy to replace the leadership and timely goals of David Titanic they may not be the world beaters everyone is expecting. The 2007 team lost only Ryan Woodward, Ryan Koresky and Trevor Gilligan and yet they failed to make the NCAA's in 2008. Woodward was a huge loss because he was the heart and soul of that team much like I feel Titanic was this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Laker28 View Post
                  DanyDOSU2015 I agree with your rankings but I feel if Oswego has trouble finding a guy to replace the leadership and timely goals of David Titanic they may not be the world beaters everyone is expecting. The 2007 team lost only Ryan Woodward, Ryan Koresky and Trevor Gilligan and yet they failed to make the NCAA's in 2008. Woodward was a huge loss because he was the heart and soul of that team much like I feel Titanic was this season.
                  Thats the question of the day. Don't slam on me for this, but I don't think that Oswego was the most talented, but was the best TEAM with emotion that could not be matched. How much of that was the freshman and how much of it was graduating seniors? Time will tell. From the looks of the nation and what teams have lost, the top 3 SUNYAC teams will be amoung the top 3-5 teams in the nation.
                  Remy Babineaux
                  remyb616@gmail.com
                  D3FHL Web Page

Comment

I think this is the Bears year.
                    LETS GO BEARS!

"Never play flag football in the nude"-Bob Kevoian

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Mike St. Louis is not a BUM!

Comment

Originally posted by Saints17 View Post
                      I think this is the Bears year TO JUST MAKE THE PLAYOFFS.
                      You forgot the important part
                      Remy Babineaux
                      remyb616@gmail.com
                      D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Now where did I put that sound byte of Jim Mora talking about playoffs?
                        Twitter: DanMountSports
                        2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

2014-2015 Predictions:

STANDINGS:
                          1. Oswego 13-3
                          2. Geneseo 12-4
                          3. Plattsburgh 10-6
                          4. Fredonia 9-7
                          5. Buffalo 8-8
                          6. Cortland 7-8-1
                          6 Brockport 7-8-1
                          7 Morrisville 5-9-2
                          8 Potsdam 4-10-2
                          9 Canton **

Returning Top 20 Forwards:
                          1. Tyler Brickler (Geneseo)
                          2. Alex Jensen (Plattsburgh)
                          3. Stephan Collins (Geneseo)
                          4. Mike Montagna (Oswego)
                          5. Matt Galati (Oswego)
                          6. Alex Botten (Oswego)
                          7. Dan Turgeon (Buffalo St.)
                          8. Chase Nieuwendyk (Brockport)
                          9. Dillan Fox (Plattsburgh)
                          10. Mark Constantine (Plattsburgh)
                          11. Kenny Neil (Oswego)
                          12. Justin Scharfe (Geneseo)
                          13. Ryan Stanmir (Geneseo)
                          14. David Ripple (Geneseo)
                          15. Shawn Hulshof (Oswego)
                          16. Stephen Castriota (Fredonia)
                          17. Nick Zappia (Cortland)
                          18. Taylor Pryce (Buffalo)
                          19. Billy Pascalli (Potsdam)
                          20. Darren Young (Mo’ville)

Top 10 Defensemen:
                          1. Bobby Gertsakis (Oswego)
                          2. Chris Luker (Brockport)
                          3. Jack Caradonna (Geneseo)
                          4. Nick Rivait (Oswego)
                          5. Anthony Calabrese (Plattsburgh)
                          6. Denton King (Oswego)
                          7. Erick Ware (Potsdam)
                          8. Ryan Wagner (Cortland)
                          9. Rich Botting (Plattsburgh)
                          10. Derek Stahl (Geneseo)

Top 3 Goalies:
                          1. Spencer Finney (Plattsburgh)
                          2. Nick Horrigan (Geneseo)
                          3. Matt Zawadzki (Oswego)

Top Recruits:
                          1. Alex D’Oliveira (Oswego)
                          2. Brandon O’Quinn (Plattsburgh)
                          3. Grant Gallo (Plattsburgh)
                          4. Bryan Dallaire (Plattsburgh)
                          5. Jason Stephanik (Geneseo)
                          6. Darren McCormick Jr. (Cortland)
                          7. Mitchell Herlihey (Oswego)

Comment

Umm, we lead the league with ties in the month of February, clown.
                            Last edited by Saints17; 05-23-2014, 09:51 AM.
                            LETS GO BEARS!

"Never play flag football in the nude"-Bob Kevoian

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Mike St. Louis is not a BUM!

Comment

Originally posted by SUNYAC234HOCKEY View Post
                              Top 3 Goalies:
                              1. Spencer Finney (Plattsburgh)
                              2. Nick Horrigan (Geneseo)
                              3. Matt Zawadzki (Oswego)

Top Recruits:
                              1. Alex D’Oliveira (Oswego)
                              2. Brandon O’Quinn (Plattsburgh)
                              3. Grant Gallo (Plattsburgh)
                              4. Bryan Dallaire (Plattsburgh)
                              5. Jason Stephanik (Geneseo)
                              6. Darren McCormick Jr. (Cortland)
                              7. Mitchell Herlihey (Oswego)
                              Callping Finney the top goalie of the SUNYAC when he isn't even guaranteed the starting job at Plattsburgh yet? Sure, he's a DI transfer... But so is Brady Rouleau (G, Quinnipiac). Sure, Emery said at the end of last season that the job was Finney's to lose, but that was before we knew who the competition was going to be :O

If Rouleau wins the starting job over Finney, who you say will be the best 'tender in the conference, does that mean he will be both the #1 goaltender and the #1 recruit on your list?

Bottom line: one of these guys just transferred to go from a DI benchwarmer to a DIII benchwarmer... It just remains to be seen who that is.
                              Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                              SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                              ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                              NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                              NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                              NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                              NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Working...
                              X