Rule Changes ... Shmule Changes ... It's that time again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rule Changes ... Shmule Changes ... It's that time again

So once again those amongst college hockey's deciders find themselves in a position where there isn't anything really broken and so naturally they've got to try to do something about it.

"3/4" Shields Instead of Full ...
    There is no empirical justification for this move. Sure, all the coaches are advocating it ... mostly because if you ask a player they'd rather play wearing the so-called "3/4" shield (a misnomer i.e... marketing ploy to make it seem like half the face isn't exposed) they say yes. Players want to wear them because when they wore full face shields their whole playing lives and now they think they are big responsible adults who should make some safety choices for themselves. Well they are wrong.

The rules deciders are clearly going to present whatever data they can manipulate in an attempt to "prove" that removing this protection will lessen concussions. Yeah ok ... whatever they come up with is BS. You want to wear half-shields then wear them ... don't pretend they are something they aren't. Making this rule change won't affect the game. If you want to do it then suck up the dental bills and make sure someone with good suturing skills is on hand at every game and wait for the probable mega-lawsuit to come from some kid that gets his face seriously mangled. And you **** well better allow any player who wants to wear the full cage to continue to do so.

Overtime and Shootouts ...
    Nothing wrong with a tie. If you think otherwise then you have a serious cognitive dysfunction which should be evaluated by the best neuroscience available. They have this thing called FMRI now which can pinpoint the area of your stupidity and of course robot-doctors that can excise whatever foreign mass is creating your problem.

Here's my deal with the college hockey world (queue the "let there be shootouts" comments)... if the NCAA "mandates" shootouts for regular season games, I'm done with following the last sport that I regularly follow. I love the game but it's enough reason for me to quit watching it. I simply cannot be associated with something that effing stupid.

Neutral Zone Faceoffs ...
    No more face-offs at the off-sides dots? Ridiculous. Pointless. Another one of the endless attempted tweaks to fix something that isn't broken. Let's just reinvent the whole game shall we? I think on power plays that a 3ft barrier should automatically rise out of the ice whenever the fifth player on the team with the extra man enters the zone. This is as effing stupid as the effing stupid trapezoid they put behind the nets in the NHL.

Replay on critical plays ...
    Enough already. Both teams have the same idiot referee or the same infallible referee. Referee's have been integral parts of sporting contests since humans started having contests. This rule will create long delays ... ever see Don Adam trying to run the replay machine??? The NCAA isn't the NHL and trying to do this with the mish-mash of available technology across 59 different arenas is just stupid. Drop it. Give the ref's an extra 50 bucks a game if they don't eff up. End of problem.

Automatic Suspensions in the last 5 minutes ...
    EFF this. Call the game the same way from the opening faceoff until the horn sounds at the end of the game. A penalty committed at 3:09 of the 2nd period is no different from one committed at 18:35 of the 3rd. This is the same stupid argument as idiot fans make when a player is hurt. They think that because their precious glory-boy got hurt when someone brutally smashed them from behind deserves more penalty. A brutal smash from behind is a brutal smash from behind and the injury doesn't come into it. When a penalty is committed is irrelevant. If the referee determines their is context (i.e... team A is behind by 7 goals and has been amping up the goonery) then he already has the authority to respond as needed.

Penalties for Delaying tactics ...
    Again, the referees can already do this. If you want to codify it then so be it. I got no real issues with it. Perhaps giving the refs an extra $50 for not effing up a game would be better though.

Blocking Shots by leaving the feet to become a penalty ...
    Stop with this deranged nonsense. The fake problem is ... "We need more scoring!!!!!" -- then let's solve this fake problem with a ludicrous solution ... um let's disallow forwards from entering their defensive zone. Wait wut?

Increasing space between players on faceoffs ...
    Years ago the NCAA had no throw-ins in it's soccer games. They used kick-ins every time the ball went over the sideline. This rule change is just about as stupid. Leave it alone. What is the deal here? Referees can't control the restarts? Send to problem players off the ice for two minutes. End of problem. Again, pay the refs an extra fiddy bucks for not screwing up the game as an incentive and you'll solve half of these fake "problems".

Standardizing the nets ...
    Yes. Standardize everything. Use the IIHF standards. Oh wait, can't adhere to international standards in America!!!! Eff the metric system!!! We got inches and feet and yards and miles and tablespoons and cups and pints and quarts and gallons why would we want anything that is easily divisible in tens!!!! We're America!!1!!!1!!

Of course the rule change makes sense, why and how some venues were allowed to use NHL nets while everyone else was using the same thing boggles the mind. This is pretty much the only rule change that I can fully support. Seriously though, pull your head out America and join the world in measuring stuff.

Re: Rule Changes ... Shmule Changes ... It's that time again

I hope that they extend the Overtime to 10 minutes...can live with 4x4 in OT,but NO Shootouts...a tie is a tie in the regular season and leave it at that. 3/4 Shields seems risky to me,they say it will stop the high sticking,don't believe that for a minute...too much chance of injurys,stay with full shields until they get into the Pro's,where they can pay for the facial/dental bills and not the Colleges.

Comment

Forget 10 minute overtime, just do it playoff style, and keep going until someone wins.

Comment

Gonna agree with pretty much the entire first half of the original post before I got bored and stopped reading. No one is going to want to deal with insurance costs and liability issues with the half shield going on. Not happening.

Let's have a shootout and manufacture a winner and loser then count it as a tie in the PWR, the only real thing that matters. You do have to question the amount of chromosomes someone has to come up with that idea.

Nothing really wrong with the current state of affairs in the rules department. The biggest problem is the 24 and 25 year olds roaming the ice but no one is addressing that.
        Originally posted by reBlur
        the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

I am not a big fan of shootouts (but don't care that much either) but I think the college rules should mimic the NHL rules as much as possible unless player safety is at risk. It causes less confusion for the casual/new fan. I think it may make the NCAA a bit more attractive to players vs. major juniors in that they are playing the game with NHL style rules. Eh, maybe not, who knows?

Saying all that, unless there is a major change in the game or something that involves player safety, stop tinkering around with the rules every two years. It is unnecessary and confusing. I consider myself a somewhat big college hockey fan and I can't even say 100% that I have a full grasp of all the rule changes in the last decade or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
            I hope that they extend the Overtime to 10 minutes...can live with 4x4 in OT,but NO Shootouts...
            OT used to be 10 minutes many years ago. I hope they go back to that and please say no to shootouts.
            What did you say?
            Who own the Chiefs?
            What did he say?
            Owns! Owns!

Comment

Automatic Suspensions in the last 5 minutes ...

This is the only one I have a real problem with. Just dumb, dumb, dumb. I'm all for additional punishment for something obvious in a blowout game but not in favor of an all encompassing rule. You could have a situation where a guy gets a 5 minute major with 4:59 left to go in a tie game. Opposing team scores the winning goal during that PP to win in regulation. So the team lost because the guy took the major but the game didn't go to overtime so he should be suspended another game? Asinine.

Comment

I think we will see approval of the 3/4 shield but for 15-16. And no, they won't be allowed to wear the birdcage if they choose to...unless they're under age 18.
                Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Some of these ideas are so asinine I almost can't believe that a D-I coach would even propose them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchfan View Post
                    Some of these ideas are so asinine I almost can't believe that a D-I coach would even propose them.
                    What's hilariously absurd is that more than a few of them are alleged to have WIDESPREAD support of the coaches.

Comment

No shootouts please. Ties are fine. Even the NHL awards a point for the "tie" before the shootout starts.

If you are going to shootouts, then change the scoring: 3 points for a regular win, 1 point for tie before shoot out starts, one "bonus" point for winning shoot out.

and this latter idea is even more stupid than shootouts, which merely demonstrates how stupid shootouts are.
                      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I didn't know Lewis Black was a poster on this forum..

Comment

I'm just trying to imagine how you'd "settle" a chess match that ended in a draw......
                          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Just because the NHL uses stupid shootouts doesn't mean you have to follow their lead into stupidity. I hate shootouts and they're one of many reasons I prefer college hockey to pro hockey.

I'm basically against everything on the list except standardizing the nets. The net should be the same no matter which arena you play in. Also I guess I don't have a strong opinion either way about the neutral zone faceoffs. Everything else is a bad idea.

Comment

I don't mind eliminating the offside dots, but rather than center ice, I think the face-offs for offsides should be held in the middle (between the offside dots) I'll give that a try.

On a delayed penalty if a team gains the offensive zone, let the play continue regardless of possession until the defensive teams clears the puck or freezes it.... no more grey areas on possession.

3/4 visor.... I'm against it for many reasons.

Extend OT to 10 min, and bag the shootout

Comment

Working...
                              X