PDA

View Full Version : University of North Dakota 2014 Off-Season

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

SJHovey
04-14-2014, 03:01 PM
The beauty of making the Frozen Four, win or lose, is the college hockey off-season is at least two weeks shorter.

Dave Berger's recent write-ups on the 2014-15 squad:

http://blog.siouxsports.com/2014/04/11/2014-15-north-dakota-hockey-the-future-is-bright/

http://blog.siouxsports.com/2014/04/12/2014-15-und-hockey-a-6-pack-of-recruits/

I disagree with Dave on one point. I don't think the upcoming class can still be ranked at or near the top nationally, as it probably did with Gropp and Lemieux. But I do agree there are some very important pieces coming in, including a potential 1st round goal scorer, a power forward, and a solid young backup for Zane.

As always, should be fun.

johnnypohlfan
04-14-2014, 03:24 PM
The beauty of making the Frozen Four, win or lose, is the college hockey off-season is at least two weeks shorter.

Dave Berger's recent write-ups on the 2014-15 squad:

http://blog.siouxsports.com/2014/04/11/2014-15-north-dakota-hockey-the-future-is-bright/

I disagree with Dave on one point. I don't think the upcoming class can still be ranked at or near the top nationally, as it probably did with Gropp and Lemieux. But I do agree there are some very important pieces coming in, including a potential 1st round goal scorer, a power forward, and a solid young backup for Zane.

As always, should be fun.

I think the only relevant question is, in which round of the NCAA's will UND play UMN next year? You know it's going to happen. ;):D

In all seriousness though good luck next year. The game last week only intensified my displeasure with not playing UND every year. The rivalry is so much better when both teams are top-level, and that has been the case for several years now, and doesn't look like that will change in the near future.

SJHovey
04-14-2014, 04:48 PM
I think the only relevant question is, in which round of the NCAA's will UND play UMN next year? You know it's going to happen. ;):D

In all seriousness though good luck next year. The game last week only intensified my displeasure with not playing UND every year. The rivalry is so much better when both teams are top-level, and that has been the case for several years now, and doesn't look like that will change in the near future.
If they meet, hopefully it will be in the Frozen Four again. Both teams should be pretty solid.

burd
04-14-2014, 05:18 PM
If they meet, hopefully it will be in the Frozen Four again. Both teams should be pretty solid.

It always seems a shame when these two schools end up in the same regional. Makes for an exciting regional when they do, but it's hard to replace the kind of event we had last week. I feel the same about UW. For UND to be declared fully recovered, though (aside from the obvious banner deficiency cure), they have to play and beat BC in the FF.

Hammy
04-14-2014, 05:23 PM

Umm... does the writer of that article do research? Hayden Shaw is only a junior in HS.

sfo19
04-14-2014, 06:47 PM
Umm... does the writer of that article do research? Hayden Shaw is only a junior in HS.

No need to be rude. He said on the SS thread that there's a discrepancy on Shaw's arrival date. One of the site's has an arrival date of this fall.

Dirty
04-14-2014, 06:51 PM
No need to be rude. He said on the SS thread that there's a discrepancy on Shaw's arrival date. One of the site's has an arrival date of this fall.

Actually there is a need for Hammy to be rude. It's kind of what he does when it comes to teams that aren't the Gophers and recruits who aren't future Gophers. So really, you can just ignore his general jerkoffness.

Siouxfaninseattle
04-14-2014, 11:17 PM

With the west regional in Fargo next year, and UND the host, its quite likely they could meet up there. There won't be any drop-off in play for either team next year. Maybe the Sioux could even play decent hockey in the first half.....well that may be asking a bit much.

MinnesotaNorthStar
04-15-2014, 12:38 AM
With the west regional in Fargo next year, and UND the host, its quite likely they could meet up there. There won't be any drop-off in play for either team next year. Maybe the Sioux could even play decent hockey in the first half.....well that may be asking a bit much.

Well at least good enough so we're not sweating out other conference tournaments at the end of the year...

Siouxfaninseattle
04-16-2014, 10:45 AM
This looks like a good commit:
http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/und-hockey-grand-rapids-forward-gives-verbal-commitment-mens-team

MavHockey14
04-16-2014, 11:07 AM
This looks like a good commit:
http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/und-hockey-grand-rapids-forward-gives-verbal-commitment-mens-team

Good commit. It's crazy how recruiting continues to happen earlier and earlier.

SJHovey
04-16-2014, 01:20 PM
Good commit. It's crazy how recruiting continues to happen earlier and earlier.Probably not for the best.

I've often thought it would be interesting to see a spreadsheet that showed the date of the commitment and the date the player actually appeared on campus. Have that spreadsheet for a period of 15 years or so and then look back and examine it in the light of each player's actual college career.

A lot of guys with good size don't really pan out once they get to college where others are of equal size. The same with speed. You can look pretty quick as a sophomore in high school, but a pretty large difference between that speed and the college game.

Hope the kid continues to develop and teams like MN or UMD look at him as one that got away.

Hammy
04-16-2014, 01:43 PM
Actually there is a need for Hammy to be rude. It's kind of what he does when it comes to teams that aren't the Gophers and recruits who aren't future Gophers. So really, you can just ignore his general jerkoffness.

I never said a bad thing about the player himself. I simply pointed out how poorly researched his situation was. A simple Google search shows the kid wouldn't be eligible to come in when it was stated in article. Pretty basic stuff... and you're going to whine that I point that out?

Let me know when you put your big boy pants on. lol

Hammy
04-16-2014, 01:46 PM

Don't you guys basically worship that cheerleader from the Herald? Even he made it clear when the kid committed when he was coming in given his age (not for another season). Isn't that all the research you need? lol

SJHovey
04-16-2014, 02:30 PM
So Dave made a mistake (which by the way he has acknowledged). I guess we don't live in the perfect world that is the gopher blogosphere.

Funny though how much they absolutely love to castigate Brad S. for his obvious favoritism towards UND. At the same time they seem to know every word he writes. And when they aren't panning him, they spend their time biatching about how the local Twin Cities media hate, or even fail to cover, the gophers.

MavHockey14
04-16-2014, 02:43 PM
Schmaltz, Parks, Gothberg all announce their return. Grimaldi is the last one we wait on, I presume.

Dirty
04-16-2014, 02:56 PM
I never said a bad thing about the player himself. I simply pointed out how poorly researched his situation was. A simple Google search shows the kid wouldn't be eligible to come in when it was stated in article. Pretty basic stuff... and you're going to whine that I point that out?

Let me know when you put your big boy pants on. lol

I'm not whining, I'm simply stating my opinion that you are a Gopher recruit jock sniffing jerkoff. Which you proving by acting like your usual smug self in this thread.

Have a great day.

SJHovey
04-16-2014, 03:03 PM
Schmaltz, Parks, Gothberg all announce their return. Grimaldi is the last one we wait on, I presume.That's really good news. As most people have suspected, keeping Schmaltz is likely a "two for one" deal, and hopefully it turns out that way.

Rocco's game really matured this year. His return to center and his terrific improvement on faceoffs was really nice to see. Obviously I'm biased but I hope he returns for one more season. He'll be a big difference maker for the team if he does. Hopefully Florida takes forwards with the #1 and the other early pick they have, and those players become the immediate attention of the organization. :)

Hammy
04-16-2014, 08:28 PM
I'm not whining, I'm simply stating my opinion that you are a Gopher recruit jock sniffing jerkoff. Which you proving by acting like your usual smug self in this thread.

Have a great day.

LOL... whatever you say tough guy. haha

sfo19
04-16-2014, 10:47 PM
Don't you guys basically worship that cheerleader from the Herald? Even he made it clear when the kid committed when he was coming in given his age (not for another season). Isn't that all the research you need? lol

A better question is why the hell do you care? Don't you spend all your time on GPL going on and on about caring less and less about UND recruits and potential recruits because it doesn't affect your squad? Yeah, pretty sure I read that one.

Like, try coming on an opposing team's thread and not coming across as a total j a c k a s s next time.

And keep adding those LOL's. We are in fact, laughing at you.