PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Gophers Offseason Thread 2014 - Quick, Reload!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

dxmnkd316
04-14-2014, 11:39 AM
With great accomplishments comes even higher expectations for next year. Who stays? Who goes?

pokechecker
04-14-2014, 12:01 PM
With great accomplishments comes even higher expectations for next year. Who stays? Who goes?

**NewsFlash**
The NCAA has approved the request of several University of Minnesota Menís hockey team members to transfer their eligibility to the Universityís womenís team.

A spokesman for the NCAA said several commitee members were hesitant because they did not think the men could refrain from the physical play that is typical to the menís game but is against the rules in womenís hockey. But in reviewing the NCAA championship game they approved without hesitation the application of all of the men.

ScoobyDoo
04-14-2014, 12:04 PM
**NewsFlash**
The NCAA has approved the request of several University of Minnesota Menís hockey team members to transfer their eligibility to the Universityís womenís team.

A spokesman for the NCAA said several commitee members were hesitant because they did not think the men could refrain from the physical play that is typical to the menís game but is against the rules in womenís hockey. But in reviewing the NCAA championship game they approved without hesitation the application of all of the men.

No. It wasn't the hitting. It was age and experience that mattered.

dxmnkd316
04-14-2014, 12:06 PM

Boy, you really are an unproductive sarcastic grump

ScoobyDoo
04-14-2014, 12:12 PM

How many Seniors can we transfer over for next season?

dxmnkd316
04-14-2014, 12:13 PM

A billion

SCSU BlackandRed
04-14-2014, 12:18 PM
Congrats on a great year. I know less than a National Championship isn't what you're looking for but it is what it is. Best Gophers team that I recall seeing in quite a while.

gopher wes
04-14-2014, 01:10 PM
Is it October yet?

I have nothing to add. I hate the offseason and I hate waiting around to see who leaves and who stays. But all I know is if these freshmen stick together for a couple more years...sky is the limit.

alnike
04-14-2014, 01:16 PM
While there is still a long offseason to play out, but Minnesota could be a very strong #1 to open the season in October 2014. The B1G could be clinched by the end of February. Not many other teams look that good on paper, but things will change once they step on the ice.

Driftryder
04-14-2014, 02:46 PM
If Wilcox is still with the team in October this team should be very good again, I do hope he stays for his JR year.

All of our young guns will only get better, could be a another banner or 2 year. I'm also interested in seeing that Swedish recruit (Bristedt ?) that is coming in next year. Curious what type of player he is.

mnstate0fhockey
04-14-2014, 03:09 PM

No doubt. It gets old.

mnstate0fhockey
04-14-2014, 03:11 PM
If Wilcox is still with the team in October this team should be very good again, I do hope he stays for his JR year.

All of our young guns will only get better, could be a another banner or 2 year. I'm also interested in seeing that Swedish recruit (Bristedt ?) that is coming in next year. Curious what type of player he is.

To keep with Scooby's theme for not letting things go, thought I'd point out that it is some people's opinion that players don't improve with experience, so our young players will not continue to get better as you proposed.

4four4
04-14-2014, 03:55 PM
I am most concerned with Wilcox leaving. Tampa,Bay has to make a decision pay Wilcox good money or risk losing him to free agency.

Driftryder
04-14-2014, 03:55 PM
To keep with Scooby's theme for not letting things go, thought I'd point out that it is some people's opinion that players don't improve with experience, so our young players will not continue to get better as you proposed.

:) Well then other people's opinions are wrong.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to the 2014-2015 Gopher team and do think they will be pretty good again.

Driftryder
04-14-2014, 03:56 PM
I am most concerned with Wilcox leaving. Tampa,Bay has to make a decision pay Wilcox good money or risk losing him to free agency.

I read they have some other higher rated goalies in their pipeline currently, we'll see.

UND92UMNLaw99
04-14-2014, 04:43 PM
Any of the juniors would be candidates for early departure. Of the sophomores, we're looking at Brady Skjei, Mike Reilly and Wilcox. Of the freshmen, Fasching.

If there were NO early departures, which I think is highly unlikely, next year we might see one of the most dominant Gopher hockey teams in the history of the program.

Honestly, none of these guys looks ready to play in the NHL now or any time soon, but Skjei may be the most ready. He had a bad game on Saturday night though, so it should give him pause. Same thing with Mike Reilly ... he was mediocre by his standards in both Frozen Four games. They both have alot to work on. As does Hudson Fasching. The only early departure candidate who I think has maxed out his talent and development in college is Rau .. but I don't see Florida having a big need to sign the undersized forward. He doesn't have any great NHL tools - he's just a really good college hockey player.

Hammy
04-14-2014, 05:33 PM

It is a two way street though. Wilcox has to look at TB and decide if that is the best place for him. The reality is they have a very good guy in net at the NHL level (Bishop) and two goalie prospects in their organization that are ranked higher than Wilcox. He might be better off waiting and then picking a more advantageous place that doesn't have quite as crowded of a depth chart.

My feeling is the coaches would have recruited the goalie position differently if they thought Wilcox was likely to leave this summer. They have a kid coming in to replace Shibby next fall but their two other goalie recruits can come in no sooner than 2015 (Halladay) and 2016 (Edquist). My feeling is if they really thought Wilcox was a legit flight risk this summer, they would have gone after somebody that has the flexibility to come in this fall if needed. Neither Halladay or Edquist can do that. My 2 cents.

badgerhawk
04-14-2014, 06:28 PM

If that's all it takes then Wisconsin should have gone farther this year.

mnstate0fhockey
04-14-2014, 07:11 PM
If that's all it takes then Wisconsin should have gone farther this year.

It's not "all" it takes, but it certainly helps.

Compare how UW did this year to how they did the year before and the year before that, then tell me the experienced roster you had this season didn't matter.

Rabid Gopher
04-14-2014, 07:39 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if everyone came back? (save for the seniors of course)

This year's freshman class could explode next season. I can only dream of what the team would be like 2 years form now if no freshman or sophmores would bolt. That would be an unstoppable group of juniors and seniors. They could maybe even fill the Hobey hat trick with all Gophers. That's a pipe dream though. I think the best chance is to get them all back for one more run next season. Maybe the experience of coming so close this year will keep them together for one more try.