Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers Offseason Thread 2014 - Quick, Reload!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Gophers Offseason Thread 2014 - Quick, Reload!

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Couple surprises (at least to me):
    Home and home with SCSU and UMD,
    Only one game at BC (we just had 3 against them here the last two years, and I expect they will be pumped up and be hard to beat with several years of the most lopsided losses out of trips to Mpls they've had in some time)
    They're doing two at BC just in two different years instead of one. BC and NE are coming here for a trip and Minnesota is playing both those teams one and one in two different seasons.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Can't stand home and home series. Still going to try to make that Duluth Saturday game thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
        Can't stand home and home series. Still going to try to make that Duluth Saturday game thought.
        That Boston trip is one I have my eye on. Getting out to see a game at Mathews has been on my bucket list for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
          That Boston trip is one I have my eye on. Getting out to see a game at Mathews has been on my bucket list for years.
          I've wanted to head out east for a bit, but things keep coming up affecting my finances. Most of them either being out of state weddings, or in this case, my wedding. Someday....someday.....
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Some very cool FF footage in this VDO:

Frozen Four "Pride on Ice"

Comment

Glad to come on and not see any updates (translation -no one announced early departure yet). But doesn't someone usually start an early departure thread? Maybe I missed it. I know about Johnny G leaving, but haven't had time to look at much else.

Comment

Not sure how up-to-date this is but no Gophers listed so far...it would be very cool if everyone returns to have another go at it.

http://www.uscho.com/early-departures-2014/
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  Not sure how up-to-date this is but no Gophers listed so far...it would be very cool if everyone returns to have another go at it.

http://www.uscho.com/early-departures-2014/
                  More than I realized. Surprised by some of those younger than Juniors, two of which are for the Wild. Is it possible to keep all your fingers crossed for an entire offseason?

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                    Is it possible to keep all your fingers crossed for an entire offseason?
                    You can do that? I've been checking Jason's blog in the Strib plus the "early departures" page pretty much every day and am always happy when nothing shows up. Maybe, just maybe, everybody returns. When is the last time that's happened?

Comment

After 2011-12 everyone came back in case anyone actually wonders.

Comment

Interview with Lucia on potential departures

Comment

Flight risks: Wilcox and Reilly with career decisions to make this summer.

Adam Wilcox, the University of Minnesota sophomore goaltender, could have an interesting decision to make. Wilcox's NHL rights are owned by the Tampa Bay Lightning. Considering the brilliant season he has had, the Lightning are expected to rush to try to sign the South St. Paul native. That's because if Wilcox returns to the Gophers for his junior year, Tampa Bay will lose its signing rights and he can become a free agent, available to any NHL organization.

If Wilcox were to sign with Tampa Bay, he would receive a bonus of about $280,000, payable in installments of about $92,500 in each of the next three years. Playing in the NHL would be worth an annual salary of about $800,000 for the first three years, plus performance bonuses. If Wilcox were to start a pro career in the minor leagues, which would be probable if he signed, his salary would be about $70,000.

The Lightning are well set with goaltenders throughout their system, meaning advancement could take longer in that organization than if Wilcox were to wait a year and sign with an organization -- the Wild, for example -- that would provide more opportunity.

Gophers All-American sophomore defenseman Mike Reilly, whose NHL rights are owned by Columbus, has the same pro-contract options as Wilcox, and the Bluejackets are expected to be in full pursuit to sign him. If Reilly returns to school for his junior season, he, too, can become a free agent and would be available to any NHL organization next year.

Comment

Would love to see Wilcox stay one more year and then sign with the Wild for 2015-16. That's probably the best outcome we can realistically hope for, and the way things stand now it would also give him the best chance to play in the NHL right away (the Wild could really use him RIGHT NOW!). If he does sign with Tampa this summer it would obviously be a huge blow to the Gophers' prospects for the coming season.

As for Reilly, as talented as he is, I do believe he could use one more year to improve his defensive play and to work on his strength. Knowing his family's situation, if he does leave for Columbus it would not be because he needs the money. And you would think staying one more year to play with his two brothers would influence his decision also.

Comment

The article Harley is quoting (not sure where its coming from) is erroneous. The writer of those remarks doesn't have a grasp of the NHL CBA. Neither Reilly nor Wilcox automatically become free agents just because they return. They would have to pull the Justin Schultz routine next spring to do that and even then they don't automatically become free agents.

Technically, if they stayed in school, they'd still be the property of those teams per the NHL CBA until August after their class graduates. The loophole stuff is somewhat overrated. It's not like every time that option is available, a player uses it.
                              Last edited by Hammy; 05-02-2014, 09:39 AM.
                              University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                                Technically, if they stayed in school, they'd still be the property of those teams per the NHL CBA until August after their class graduates. The loophole stuff is somewhat overrated. It's not like every time that option is available, a player uses it.
                                I disagree and say it's a very real risk if the player is good enough to need out after three to further his career and isn't particularly excited by his draft team.

Comment

Working...
                                X