PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Gophers Offseason Thread 2014 - Quick, Reload!

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

pokechecker
04-14-2014, 07:55 PM
No. It wasn't the hitting. It was age and experience that mattered.

if you say it ain't so, then that is what it must be;)

but seriously, when a player gets 3 whacks at a puck in front of the goal surrounded by players from the opposition ....
I didn't see that happen all season on the women's team

are they afraid of getting injured and ruining their value to the NHL?

burd
04-14-2014, 08:04 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if everyone came back? (save for the seniors of course)

This year's freshman class could explode next season. I can only dream of what the team would be like 2 years form now if no freshman or sophmores would bolt. That would be an unstoppable group of juniors and seniors. They could maybe even fill the Hobey hat trick with all Gophers. That's a pipe dream though. I think the best chance is to get them all back for one more run next season. Maybe the experience of coming so close this year will keep them together for one more try.

You're in the middle of the 5th thinking no-hitter. Careful.

Rabid Gopher
04-14-2014, 09:43 PM
You're in the middle of the 5th thinking no-hitter. Careful.
I'm merely speculating. :D

But seriously, if they all stayed.....
Wilcox and M. Reilly as seniors and Kloos, Fasching and Cammarata as juniors?

I don't think it's a stretch to envision Wilcox, Reilly and 1 of those 3 forwards in the race for the Hobey.

In 2002 the Gophers were IMO just a great goalie away from a Gopher Hobey hat trick. Pohl not being in the top ten was ludicrous....he was the top point scorer in the nation for cryin' out loud. :rolleyes:

D2D
04-14-2014, 10:48 PM
I see where Tom Serratore signed an amateur tryout contract with the Adirondack Phantoms, where Mark Alt is currently playing. Best of luck to Tom!

http://m.gophersports.com/m/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/041414aaa.html

ShotFromThePoint
04-15-2014, 10:44 AM
I don't think Reilly will leave. Based on the Star Tribune article about the three brothers and overhearing his dad saying how much his kids value playing together, I think he gives it at least another year. How many more opportunities (Sedins and Staals aside) do you get to be on a team with your brothers?

ScoobyDoo
04-15-2014, 03:32 PM
If that's all it takes then Wisconsin should have gone farther this year.

That's what I've tried to explain over and over again. They love their experience factor so much it's like talking to a wall.

dxmnkd316
04-15-2014, 04:53 PM
That's what I've tried to explain over and over again. They love their experience factor so much it's like talking to a wall.

No, talking to a wall is trying to explain to you what all of us meant in that discussion about 150 times and yet you still refuse to acknowledge our explanation (not necessarily even agree with it) yet you parrot it like a complete idiot while the rest of us laugh.

Diggs13
04-15-2014, 05:11 PM
Great season for the Gophers, and the future looks bright.

Any potential we lose Mike Guentzel? CC opening comes to mind, and I fear losing him will hurt this team more than any one player would. Last time around without Coach Guentzel was not good.

Hammy
04-15-2014, 05:15 PM
Great season for the Gophers, and the future looks bright.

Any potential we lose Mike Guentzel? CC opening comes to mind, and I fear losing him will hurt this team more than any one player would. Last time around without Coach Guentzel was not good.

I'm sure they'll talk to him. I kind of doubt he'll end up going.

Stauber1
04-16-2014, 12:34 AM
My gut feeling is that there is only 1 job out there that Guentzel wants more than his current one.

I'm optimistic that Wilcox stays. Reilly and Skjei are bigger worries to me. My hope is that if either of them is close to signing, they think back to the last game of the year and Gostisbehere and realize that they still have a lot to develop in the college game.

My other concern is how some of the other "less heralded" juniors sit in terms of their draft and signing status. I'm not sure who all becomes a free agent if not signed this year, but if guys like Boyd, Warning or Ambroz fall into that category it's at least possible they could sign. I'm really not worried about Rau. Both because I think he is pretty committed, and because I don't think he is ready (and all parties involved know that).

The other thing I would bring up is the possibility of losing some of the lesser-played guys to transfer. Michaelson jumps out at me as a possibility. So does Isackson, although with him only having 1 year of eligibility left I think the likelihood diminishes. I know some people love to hate on Isackson, but I think he is better than people give him credit for and it's always nice to have that kind of depth going into a season. MAybe there's an injury, or maybe he works his balls off and comes out next year and is a big contributor in some kind of role.

state of hockey
04-16-2014, 09:13 AM
My gut feeling is that there is only 1 job out there that Guentzel wants more than his current one.

Lucia's?

SanTropez
04-16-2014, 09:19 AM

One could argue that is why both Yale and Union won a NC, older more experienced players who also were pretty good. I think a good 23 and 24 year old has an advantage over a good 19 and 20 year old. Wisconsin - maybe they just weren't that good.

Hammy
04-16-2014, 11:43 AM
My other concern is how some of the other "less heralded" juniors sit in terms of their draft and signing status. I'm not sure who all becomes a free agent if not signed this year, but if guys like Boyd, Warning or Ambroz fall into that category it's at least possible they could sign. I'm really not worried about Rau. Both because I think he is pretty committed, and because I don't think he is ready (and all parties involved know that).

Warning is undrafted and I can't see any team willing to throw money at him at this stage. Not at his size and with the inconsistency he showed this year.

I could maybe see Ambroz given his size and the family's financial situation. But I kind of doubt he will.

I highly doubt it with Boyd. He won't even be 21 til next fall. I'm sure he'll finish out and sign with Washington next spring.

The whole free agent thing is a little overstated. It is mainly fear of losing your truly top prospects where that becomes a concern. A team will retain their rights til August after they graduate (in the case of Boyd and Ambroz. Both of whom were drafted in 2011).

The other thing I would bring up is the possibility of losing some of the lesser-played guys to transfer. Michaelson jumps out at me as a possibility. So does Isackson, although with him only having 1 year of eligibility left I think the likelihood diminishes. I know some people love to hate on Isackson, but I think he is better than people give him credit for and it's always nice to have that kind of depth going into a season. MAybe there's an injury, or maybe he works his balls off and comes out next year and is a big contributor in some kind of role.

I've given up on Isackson as any kind of significant contributor. He's always had very good hands but he is too slow with his decisions. Turns the puck over too much.

I'd like to see AJ get a shot at a consistent lower line spot next year. I think he has it in him to do something in that type of role. Sort of play like Condon did a few years ago (though likely less offensive production).

HockeyRef
04-16-2014, 07:20 PM
Hey Minnie fans Tom Serratore just scored for the Phantoms; first pro goal...AND he just got into his first pro fight!

dxmnkd316
04-16-2014, 08:04 PM
Gordie Howe hat trick!?!??

knfhockeyfan
04-17-2014, 08:19 AM
Is there an unofficial schedule out for men's hockey for 14-15? Making travel plans to the twin cities and want to get to at least one game while I am there.

Bleed Maroon and Gold
04-17-2014, 08:36 AM
Hey Minnie fans Tom Serratore just scored for the Phantoms; first pro goal...AND he just got into his first pro fight!

Please lets get this right I have never heard a Minnesota person refer to us as Minnie. Just because the announcers of the frozen four were to lazy to pronounce it Minnesota or the Gophers we do not go by Minnie. Sorry just an annoyance.

HockeyRef
04-17-2014, 10:26 AM
Please lets get this right I have never heard a Minnesota person refer to us as Minnie. Just because the announcers of the frozen four were to lazy to pronounce it Minnesota or the Gophers we do not go by Minnie. Sorry just an annoyance.

My correction!! Just a hasty post to share the news of your terrific player ! Kind of like how we feel when people call us UNH fans UHN and dumb stuff like that..;) Totally not meant to annoy :). Unfortunately he ended up getting a 10 min major so it was quite the debut! They play again Friday and I think Gostibehere will debut in that one...Looks like he (Serratore) has a great future in front of him. And, congrats on a great season...

goldy_331
04-17-2014, 11:53 AM
Is there an unofficial schedule out for men's hockey for 14-15? Making travel plans to the twin cities and want to get to at least one game while I am there.

There is another thread here where people are piecing things together. Gophers are usually one of the latest to publish a schedule. Here are some dates from the Gopher Puck Live site:
10/10 - Minnesota Duluth (Ice Breaker Tournament At Notre Dame)
10/12 - RPI or ND (Ice Breaker Tournament At Notre Dame)
10/31 - @ St. Cloud State
11/1 - St. Cloud State
11/14 - Minnesota Duluth
11/15 - @ Minnesota Duluth
11/29 - @ Boston College
11/30 - @ Northeastern
1/23 & 24 - North Star College Cup, St. Paul

antioch1098
04-19-2014, 06:52 AM
Two years in a row that Minny was eliminated by an ECAC team. Next year will be Quinnipiac's turn to send Minny packing.