PDA

View Full Version : UNION Hockey National Champion's Off Season-U Believe it?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

BigAl
04-22-2014, 07:04 PM
I will say more of the same...

1. Colgate - leading up to Sr. laden 15-16 team. NCAA team.
2. Union - lose key players, but strong program has momentum. NCAA team.
3. Cornell - Need a goalie, solid Sr. class (NCAA bubble)
4. Quinnipiac - Graduate some key players, enough talent there in Peca, Anas and the goalie. (NCAA bubble)
5. Dartmouth - returning scorers lead resurgence.
6. Yale - status quo
Harvard and Brown seem to have the potential to challenge for 5 and 6.

My unbiased opinion is Colgate is the only "lock" to make the NCAA's. Even then there have been many times that a senior less or 1 senior team has had a worse year the next year. Cornell, U, Q, and Yale will all compete for a NCAA berth. Not saying the rest can't make a run to the NCAA. Safe to say the ECAC will be well represented once again

UnionFan4Life
04-22-2014, 09:15 PM
My unbiased opinion is Colgate is the only "lock" to make the NCAA's. Even then there have been many times that a senior less or 1 senior team has had a worse year the next year. Cornell, U, Q, and Yale will all compete for a NCAA berth. Not saying the rest can't make a run to the NCAA. Safe to say the ECAC will be well represented once again
I agree, on paper Colgate looks like the pre-season favorite for 2014-15 in the ECAC. However, as we all know, there are a lot of good teams in this conference, which will make for another exciting year. In Union's case, there is a strong incoming recruiting class who will have VERY big shoes to fill from the departing senior class. Union's success in the conference and (hopefully) NCAA tournaments will rely on the veterans stepping up and a couple impact freshman.

The position battles I'm interested in:
5th & 6th defenseman
Freshman: Connor Light, Nick DeSimone
Sophomore: Matt Krug, Griffyn Martin

Filling out the 3rd and 4th lines:
Freshman: Shier, Hynes, Ammirato (did not include Scarfo because I expect him to be in the top 2 lines with Vech, Ciampini, Novak, Wilkins, Pontarelli, and/or Eli)
Sophomore: Gonye
Junior: Roy, DiPauli
Senior: Bennett

I think Union will have solid depth again next year. The coaching staff will have to find the right pieces of the puzzle to fill out the rest of the starting lineup.

JakeMalloy
04-23-2014, 12:27 PM
I agree, on paper Colgate looks like the pre-season favorite for 2014-15 in the ECAC. However, as we all know, there are a lot of good teams in this conference, which will make for another exciting year. In Union's case, there is a strong incoming recruiting class who will have VERY big shoes to fill from the departing senior class. Union's success in the conference and (hopefully) NCAA tournaments will rely on the veterans stepping up and a couple impact freshman.

The position battles I'm interested in:
5th & 6th defenseman
Freshman: Connor Light, Nick DeSimone
Sophomore: Matt Krug, Griffyn Martin

Filling out the 3rd and 4th lines:
Freshman: Shier, Hynes, Ammirato (did not include Scarfo because I expect him to be in the top 2 lines with Vech, Ciampini, Novak, Wilkins, Pontarelli, and/or Eli)
Sophomore: Gonye
Junior: Roy, DiPauli
Senior: Bennett

I think Union will have solid depth again next year. The coaching staff will have to find the right pieces of the puzzle to fill out the rest of the starting lineup.

Anyone hear any rumors about Colorado Collage going hard after Coach Bennett? I had heard that they were going to make him their #1 target. Former RPI'er is their AD and they have deep pockets - especially for a small school. They play in a great building too, and are neighbors with USA Hockey in Colorado Springs, which is clearly much more beautiful than Schenectady, NY.

QUAlum2004
04-23-2014, 12:29 PM
Anyone hear any rumors about Colorado Collage going hard after Coach Bennett? I had heard that they were going to make him their #1 target. Former RPI'er is their AD and they have deep pockets - especially for a small school. They play in a great building too, and are neighbors with USA Hockey in Colorado Springs, which is clearly much more beautiful than Schenectady, NY.

If I am Bennett why go to Colorado College? If you are to make a move go to Ann Arbor when Red Berenson retires which should have happened already. He can name his price, have top facilities and the USNDP in his backyard.

UnionFan4Life
04-23-2014, 03:54 PM
Don't forget a far less superior hockey team as well, which will take years to rebuild.

Wholin1
04-23-2014, 04:14 PM
Anyone hear any rumors about Colorado Collage going hard after Coach Bennett? I had heard that they were going to make him their #1 target. Former RPI'er is their AD and they have deep pockets - especially for a small school. They play in a great building too, and are neighbors with USA Hockey in Colorado Springs, which is clearly much more beautiful than Schenectady, NY.Actually, I've heard rumors of CC looking at Seth Appert.

SPSalum
04-23-2014, 08:15 PM
Actually, I've heard rumors of CC looking at Seth Appert.

Bennett is now to Union what gin is to tonic; he will not be leaving the Dutchmen.

Wholin1
04-23-2014, 09:19 PM
Bennett is now to Union what gin is to tonic; he will not be leaving the Dutchmen.I'll drink to that! :D

rdf8585
04-23-2014, 09:58 PM
UNH is coming for one next season -- tentatively, Sat. Oct 11 (http://t.co/MS1FLYBZAV). That's the earliest known home date for next season as of now.

Kepler
04-24-2014, 02:12 PM
Bennett is now to Union what gin is to tonic; he will not be leaving the Dutchmen.

He won't be going to another NC$$ program, anyway. The NHL is always a risk when a coach wins it all. Hopefully (for the strength of the conference) Bennett is one of those guys who prefers to teach the college athlete.

That and the NHL grinds guys up in 3-4 years, but Bennett has a job for life at Union obviously.

Wholin1
04-24-2014, 02:39 PM
He won't be going to another NC$$ program, anyway. The NHL is always a risk when a coach wins it all. Hopefully (for the strength of the conference) Bennett is one of those guys who prefers to teach the college athlete.

That and the NHL grinds guys up in 3-4 years, but Bennett has a job for life at Union obviously.I think there is much truth in what you say. If Union takes care of RB the way they should and have in the past then I think he will be there as long as he would like. The NHL is a meat grinder for players and coaches alike.

rdf8585
04-24-2014, 02:48 PM
Bennett had some pro interest before signing an extension with Union in 2012.

"I just decided that I'm not a pro guy anymore," Bennett said at the time (http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/Union-extends-deal-for-Bennett-3612070.php). "Those days ended about 12 years ago. I'm honored to even have been in the mix with some of those, but to be honest with you, I'm just a college guy right now."

Bennett signed another extension last summer that runs through 2019-2020. I have to think he'll get another extension this summer.

Wholin1
04-24-2014, 03:01 PM
Bennett signed another extension last summer that runs through 2019-2020. I have to think he'll get another extension this summer. He had better!

rdf8585
04-24-2014, 03:39 PM
Just coming through, but Daniel Carr has signed with Montreal: http://bit.ly/1f8bah4

UnionFan4Life
04-24-2014, 04:27 PM
Just coming through, but Daniel Carr has signed with Montreal: http://bit.ly/1f8bah4
About time! Congrats Carr!!

Wholin1
04-24-2014, 05:22 PM
Just coming through, but Daniel Carr has signed with Montreal: http://bit.ly/1f8bah4Great news and well deserved.

UnionHockeyManiac
04-24-2014, 05:43 PM
Speaking of Colorado College...

http://gazette.com/ramsey-colorado-college-should-take-lead-from-union-hockey-and-aim-high/article/1518583

Nottme
04-24-2014, 06:09 PM
Well deserved DC.

Wholin1
04-25-2014, 08:57 AM
Article from Gazette on Cole Ikkala, a truly superb student athlete. http://www.dailygazette.com/news/2014/apr/24/0424_hkcnotes/?free

joecct
04-25-2014, 09:35 AM
Kevin's father Pete played from 75-78. Put up 50 points in his final season before a brief minor pro career.

I remember him. Good player. Knew how to beat us.