Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNION Hockey National Champion's Off Season-U Believe it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNION Hockey National Champion's Off Season-U Believe it?

See what happens when D-III schools beat a member of the Power 5 for a national title? All they have to do is tweak the rules to make playing THEIR game uneconomical.

Do I think they're that stupid? No, but they have the gold - and the rules.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      I always thought it was three... or is this based upon a rare exception this year of a Friday game?
      When I was a varsity athlete (at Cornell, duh), the start date for official practices for ALL Ivy winter sports (basketball, hockey, swimming, fencing, etc) was October 15, not dependent on "weeks after event X or Y." I'm pretty sure that is still the case, but can't verify first-hand.
      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
        When I was a varsity athlete (at Cornell, duh), the start date for official practices for ALL Ivy winter sports (basketball, hockey, swimming, fencing, etc) was October 15, not dependent on "weeks after event X or Y." I'm pretty sure that is still the case, but can't verify first-hand.
        In D-III land (well, it IS an Union thread), 1st day of hockey is 10/15 with first games 11/1 (if 11/1 weekend, then the previous Friday).

The NESCAC is somewhat more restrictive (well, it is the NESCAC). First day for them is 11/1 with games the weekend before Turkey Day (or the weekend after Williams - Amherst football game).
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
          http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2009/1...gue-drawbacks/
          Found this article on "Ivy League drawbacks". A few years old but probably still accurate. Says Ivy practices can start 2 weeks before season begins, which looks to be 1st weekend Nov.
          Last edited by ADK11; 09-03-2014, 08:10 AM.
          UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
            http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2009/1...gue-drawbacks/
            Found this article on "Ivy League drawbacks". A few years old but probably still accurate. Says Ivy practices can start 2 weeks before season begins, which looks to be 1st weekend Nov.
            Great Article even though it dates back to 2009.

But Yale senior associate athletic director Wayne Dean said he is content with Yale’s opportunity to compete in the ECAC.
            "[The other schools are] very competitive academically, so there’s probably a time when somebody decides to go to those non-Ivy ECAC schools for many reasons,” Dean said. “They’re different academically and different geographically, but together I feel like we make the best hockey league in the country, and we’re very competitive nationally.”

Amen to that ...
            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Transfer out to Endicott (via juniors)
              http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014...-union-college
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                Season Tickets should be sent out next week. Starting on September 2nd you should be able to order additional tickets for additional games online. Bet there will not be an empty seat when we hoist the banners on October 10. That is going to be a festive occasion.
                Just looked at the site and still not able to get tickets. It only shows summer camps.

Comment

2015 recruit Cole Maier on Nanaimo radio: http://t.co/zYw9fbESAv (audio)

He's playing with the Nanaimo Clippers this year, alongside Brendan Taylor, another 2015 recruit.

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
                    2015 recruit Cole Maier on Nanaimo radio: http://t.co/zYw9fbESAv (audio)

He's playing with the Nanaimo Clippers this year, alongside Brendan Taylor, another 2015 recruit.
                    Sounds like a good character kid.
                    Union College Hockey
                    2014 NCAA National Champions
                    2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

Slight diversion ... Union dropped its first Football game of the season, away at Ithaca. With 1 minute to go in the game they were on the Ithaca 10, first and 10 and threw 4 incomplete pases. Final 16-21. They are supposed to be good this year.
                      Last edited by Dutchman; 09-06-2014, 06:52 PM.
                      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        See what happens when D-III schools beat a member of the Power 5 for a national title? All they have to do is tweak the rules to make playing THEIR game uneconomical.

Do I think they're that stupid? No, but they have the gold - and the rules.
                        That's one way to look at it.
                        Another way to look at it, this is what happens when the NCAA is sued, and judges agree that players should be compensated and/or allowed to unionize.

Either way you look at it... yes, it sucks. IMO, college athletics, as we know it today, will be drastically changed in the near future.

And all because a D-3 school beat BC and Minnesota to win a NC. Dang. (sorry, had to throw that in there, for the narrow minded).
                        'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                          That's one way to look at it.
                          Another way to look at it, this is what happens when the NCAA is sued, and judges agree that players should be compensated and/or allowed to unionize.

Either way you look at it... yes, it sucks. IMO, college athletics, as we know it today, will be drastically changed in the near future.

And all because a D-3 school beat BC and Minnesota to win a NC. Dang. (sorry, had to throw that in there, for the narrow minded).
                          The correct way to look at it is that the people making these decisions (incl. plaintiffs, defendants, judges, lawyers, ADs, university presidents, NCAA administrators, etc) barely realize that there are other NCAA sports besides football and basketball and could not care less what ramifications their decisions have for non-revenue sports. In their minds, non-revenue sports are basically all D-III anyway, so if they end up looking even more D-IIIish in the future, no big whup.
                          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                            IMO, college athletics, as we know it today, will be drastically changed in the near future ...
                            Yep, and lots of folks agree with you ... ( most articles refer to football and basketball and revenue sports )

Aug 12th 2014, 10:28 by C.N. | WASHINGTON
                            American college sport - Bringing down the NCAA's house
                            http://www.economist.com/blogs/gamet...-college-sport

Aug 16th 2014 | From the print edition
                            American college sports - Justice for jocks
                            http://www.economist.com/news/leader...-justice-jocks

University sports - Players: 0; Colleges: $10,000,000,000
                            http://www.economist.com/news/united...ours-players-0

"Moreover, the value of the education athletes receive is dubious. They are recruited with little regard for grades, spend too much time on sports to attend class, and often depend on school-sponsored academic fraud to retain eligibility to compete."

Not the norm in the ECAC ....
                            Last edited by Dutchman; 09-07-2014, 03:38 PM.
                            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

• Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                              Yep, and lots of folks agree with you ... ( most articles refer to football and basketball and revenue sports )

Aug 12th 2014, 10:28 by C.N. | WASHINGTON
                              American college sport - Bringing down the NCAA's house
                              http://www.economist.com/blogs/gamet...-college-sport

American college sports - Justice for jocks
                              http://www.economist.com/news/leader...-justice-jocks

University sports - Players: 0; Colleges: $10,000,000,000
                              http://www.economist.com/news/united...ours-players-0

"Moreover, the value of the education athletes receive is dubious. They are recruited with little regard for grades, spend too much time on sports to attend class, and often depend on school-sponsored academic fraud to retain eligibility to compete."

Not the norm in the ECAC ....
                              Or in 99% of D-III.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Has the Garnet Blades info gone out yet?
                                Hockey is life, the rest is just details!

Comment

Working...
                                X