Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNION Hockey National Champion's Off Season-U Believe it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNION Hockey National Champion's Off Season-U Believe it?

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
    Agreed, but I think it was doomed by the early exhibition game.
    What about the garnet and white game?
    Union College Hockey
    2014 NCAA National Champions
    2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by UnionFan4Life View Post
      What about the garnet and white game?
      Ditto

Comment

T.J Fox is still kicking around the pro ranks. He signed with the Arizona Sundogs (CHL) on Wednesday.

Comment

Shawn Stuart and Greg Coburn are teammates again.

Comment

Hockeys Future
            http://www.hockeysfuture.com/
            Ghost listing as flyers prospect - ranked in the top 3 with a 7.5 skill rating - this before the F4

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/philadelphia_flyers/
            http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospec...-gostisbehere/
            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

2014-2015 ECAC HOCKEY COMPOSITE SCHEDULE
              http://collegehockeyinc.com/stats/compec15.php

Sampling of # of NC Games vs. ECAC - not everyone is listed

Denver - 7
              Northeastern - 6
              Vermont - 6
              St. Cloud - 6
              Boston University - 6
              Miami - 5
              Notre Dame - 4
              Connecticut - 4
              NH - 3
              BC - 3
              Providence - 3
              Michigan State - 3
              RIT - 3
              Sacred Heart - 2
              Minnesota - 2
              Minnesota State - 2
              Merrimack - 2
              Maine - 2
              Nebraska Omaha - 2
              Holy Cross - 2
              Mercyhurst - 2
              Bowling Green - 2
              Ferris State - 2
              Penn State - 2
              Massachusetts - 2
              Last edited by Dutchman; 08-18-2014, 02:20 PM.
              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Last year the predictions for the ECAC were all over the place and most were way off. RPI was supposed to finish first and Clarkson was supposed to finish last. My guess is that this year its going to be harder to pick. Time to throw darts. More than 1/2 of the teams are predicted to improve so the ECAC competition is only going to get more intense.

I have looked at a number of possible algorithms, but there is too much change going on for predictive analytics, given the past. Look at how our freshmen performed last year, way beyond expectations. While its not as prevalent as with other leagues, the ECAC still loses talented Juniors before they have exhausted their eligibility. Will our freshmen step up like last year? Will our seniors and upperclassmen be able to carry the load until they do?

Here are my predictions (Cleary Cup):

Colgate - everyone returns - Finn earns and wins Ken Dryden Award
                Yale - returns everyone and recruits have speed
                Quinnipiac - great recruiting class and solid defense
                Dartmouth - continues where they left off

Cornell - misses Isles, needs more offense
                Union - younger, not as much depth - retreats for a year
                Brown - lots of talent
                RPI - good defense but no offense

Clarkson - ?
                Harvard - better
                St. Lawrence - just lost too many key players
                Princeton - rebuilding takes time

I see us coming close but not making the NCAA's this year. I see Colgate, Yale and Q representing the ECAC.

All bets are off if we are able to make Lake Placid (Whitelaw Cup). Anything can happen if the hockey gods are smiling on you.

One of the F4 highlights for me was watching Michael Pontarelli sacrificing his 5'7", 172 lbs. frame by ramming it at full speed into much bigger forwards and forsaking scoring glory for the gritty work of forechecking. Going to need him to have a big year next year. Ditto to Matt Wilkins who didn't score much last year but when he did, it was usually a GW. Who else is going to step up?
                Last edited by Dutchman; 08-18-2014, 08:14 PM.
                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Report on Kevin Shier including a YouTube video http://penaltyboxradio.com/blog/2014...d-off-the-ice/. The video seems old but it was only posted on 8/10.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    Report on Kevin Shier including a YouTube video http://penaltyboxradio.com/blog/2014...d-off-the-ice/. The video seems old but it was only posted on 8/10.
                    I had read about the Thruway incident. He was actually on his way to Union for a visit and never mentioned it to anyone when he got there. Pretty humble and courageous act. Thanks, Ralph.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                      I had read about the Thruway incident. He was actually on his way to Union for a visit and never mentioned it to anyone when he got there. Pretty humble and courageous act. Thanks, Ralph.
                      I love your predictions Dutch and hope you're correct. Also nice story on Shier.
                      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Kevin Sullivan will attend Boston Bruins rookie camp on a tryout basis.

Comment

Interesting Article that appeared in the New York Times back in 2010 when Boston College won the National Championship. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/10/sp...ckey.html?_r=0 It speaks to the issue of the number of games in a season. My question is, when is the first day of official practice for NCAA Division I College Hockey? Is it, as the article states, October 2? I think the NCAA rule is that the season cannot start until the 25th full weekend prior to the first round of the NCAA tournament. That means end of September, beginning of October. However, what does this mean for practice? Are the Dutchmen players back? I think the IVY have their own set of rules.

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/2001/10/26/ncaa...#ixzz3BDvO1ItA

What is the first date NCAA DI hockey teams can start practice?
                          What about DI ECAC teams? Any different rules?
                          What about the IVY?

What is the earliest for the first non-exhibition game (Exhibition game usually against a canadian team because they don't count?)

It sounds like its going to take a while into the season to sort out the lines. Who is going to step up to replace Carr, Hatch, Sullivan?
                          DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                          DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

• Rick Bennett to be honored at Coaches vs Cancer event in Troy on September 24. Great cause and nice event put on by American Cancer Society. Link:

https://acsedwc.ejoinme.org/?tabid=532296

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                            Interesting Article that appeared in the New York Times back in 2010 when Boston College won the National Championship. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/10/sp...ckey.html?_r=0 It speaks to the issue of the number of games in a season. My question is, when is the first day of official practice for NCAA Division I College Hockey? Is it, as the article states, October 2? I think the NCAA rule is that the season cannot start until the 25th full weekend prior to the first round of the NCAA tournament. That means end of September, beginning of October. However, what does this mean for practice? Are the Dutchmen players back? I think the IVY have their own set of rules.

What about the IVY?

What is the earliest for the first non-exhibition game (Exhibition game usually against a canadian team because they don't count?)

It sounds like its going to take a while into the season to sort out the lines. Who is going to step up to replace Carr, Hatch, Sullivan?

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post

What about the IVY?

The first day of practice, and the first game day, exhibition or not, is the same day, and is always clearly described in the NCAA D-I bylaws. The only exception to the rule is the Alaska teams, who may start early, but must take an official week off somewhere else (usually around Christmas). There are no ECAC deviations. The only deviation is the ivy league, but I do not know the rules there.

This does not prohibit players from getting together on their own and "practicing".

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                                The first day of practice, and the first game day, exhibition or not, is the same day, and is always clearly described in the NCAA D-I bylaws. The only exception to the rule is the Alaska teams, who may start early, but must take an official week off somewhere else (usually around Christmas). There are no ECAC deviations. The only deviation is the ivy league, but I do not know the rules there.

This does not prohibit players from getting together on their own and "practicing".
                                I believe the Ivy group is two weeks later on opening and 1st games.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X