PDA

View Full Version : UNION Hockey National Champion's Off Season-U Believe it?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31

sshablak
09-23-2014, 07:18 AM
A little obsessed, are we?

Hard to believe a college coach would stoop so low.

jericho
09-23-2014, 08:04 AM

I think Appert was just saying that to excite the students, you know, like motivation. Knowing that Clarkson is the rival in the eyes of the fans, and how the two schools or similar, it was a harmless quote, I'm positive that Clarkson says the same thing.

Also, for a school whose "fans" claim to not care about anything outside of their cozy little circle, they are always fast disparage other teams with quotes they perceive as negative.

Hey, at least he didn't punch any students in the face.

Aerman
09-23-2014, 08:15 AM
I would assume so but check on line at the Athletics website or call the ticket office. As long as you are making the trip, you might as well stick around for the UNH game the next night. That should be a good one.

I hope you're right, but I'm not placing any bets on my team. :(

Wholin1
09-23-2014, 08:58 AM
I think Appert was just saying that to excite the students, you know, like motivation. Knowing that Clarkson is the rival in the eyes of the fans, and how the two schools or similar, it was a harmless quote, I'm positive that Clarkson says the same thing.

Also, for a school whose "fans" claim to not care about anything outside of their cozy little circle, they are always fast disparage other teams with quotes they perceive as negative.

Hey, at least he didn't punch any students in the face.I think SA had his tongue firmly planted in his cheek when he made the Clarkson remark. I understand his not being overjoyed by our National Championship but frankly, could care less.

rdf8585
09-23-2014, 11:13 AM
Union was picked second (behind Colgate) in both the ECAC media and coaches poll... I also had Union second on my media ballot. Ciampini and Stevens were on both the media and coaches preseason teams... I also had both on my media ballot.

Rick Bennett chatted with the media earlier today. Here's what he had to say. (http://t.co/GK8OSJlSmD)

rdf8585
09-23-2014, 12:43 PM
Kevin Sullivan signs in the ECHL: http://t.co/O2VxsN4Exb

Dutchman
09-23-2014, 05:12 PM
If history tells us anything, these preseason polls are absolutely meaningless. I believe that is especially true this year in the ECAC. From a talent standpoint, there is probably very little difference between most of the teams. That has been voiced by a few of the coaches. Can Coach Bennett and the upperclassmen repeat last years magic and bring those freshmen on line? Its going to be a whole team effort to do that. The upperclassmen are going to have to take the freshmen under their wing and mentor them. The freshmen are going to have to be coachable. Band of Brothers. Will we see them play with the same "acid in the gut"? Stevens will not have two first team all-americans in front of him. The key is to be ready for the league schedule. As Coach Bennett said, picked 2nd, picked 12th ... it does not matter. Injuries really hurt several ECAC teams last year, including ourselves. What also matters, win, lose or draw, is that the team is a positive reflection on themselves and on the program and the school. We want another class act. We want them to make us proud again. I bet they will !!!

UnionFan4Life
09-23-2014, 08:17 PM
That looks like a solid lineup !!! - but with 5 freshmen?
Can they step up like last years freshmen?
What about DiPauli, Bennett, Martin, Krug ?
Will they they step up their game?

If this years freshmen class can step up like last years ... we will be in good shape. I guess we will know shortly ..... Maine and New Hampshire coming up.
We will know more about the freshmen after the exhibition game, but for now, I believe our team is very solid. I really like our offense (featuring the ECAC's top returning scorer), the top two lines will be juggernauts, the 3rd line will be very good, and if Roy/Coatta/random freshman step up the 4th will be decent as well. In net, we have a top 5 goalie in the nation and a very capable backup who beat #1 ranked (at the time) St. Cloud State. Defense is the biggest question mark (took a hit with Ghost and Bodie), but has a solid core in Vasacuro, Gingras, Taylor and Henry. We need two of: Krug, Martin, Light, DiSimmone, or Brassard to step up. Our coaching staff will get these guys up to speed with our system, we may experience some growing pains, but ultimately I can see this team going back to the NCAA tourney.

Wholin1
09-24-2014, 01:36 PM
In what will hopefully be just a first step to upgrading Messa, I was on campus last week and stopped into the rink. There is a brand new lighting system which is is a huge upgrade. It should heighten the fan experience as well as TV broadcasts and streaming. I understand that it is "instant on" and will pay for itself in electricity savings within a few years. As I said, let's hope it's just the beginning of things to come.

Vaportrail
09-24-2014, 02:08 PM
In what will hopefully be just a first step to upgrading Messa, I was on campus last week and stopped into the rink. There is a brand new lighting system which is is a huge upgrade. It should heighten the fan experience as well as TV broadcasts and streaming. I understand that it is "instant on" and will pay for itself in electricity savings within a few years. As I said, let's hope it's just the beginning of things to come.

Agree the lighting is much improved. It also allows for more of total building energy to go towards chilling ice - presumably improving ice quality.

rdf8585
09-24-2014, 02:36 PM

Union's website has more on the lighting upgrade: http://www.union.edu/news/stories/2014/07/power-play-new-lights-for-messa-rink-highlight-summer-projects-list.php

Hopefully, a video board is put in one of these years. Aside from enhancing the fan experience, it would provide additional advertising revenues. Another priority needs to be ditching the bleachers. Those are rough for the people that have to sit in them.

FlagDUDE08
09-24-2014, 04:04 PM
Union's website has more on the lighting upgrade: http://www.union.edu/news/stories/2014/07/power-play-new-lights-for-messa-rink-highlight-summer-projects-list.php

Hopefully, a video board is put in one of these years. Aside from enhancing the fan experience, it would provide additional advertising revenues. Another priority needs to be ditching the bleachers. Those are rough for the people that have to sit in them.

Just build a new rink. Probably be better in the long run.

rdf8585
09-24-2014, 04:30 PM
Just build a new rink. Probably be better in the long run.

I agree. I just don't think that is in the cards.

If that was going to happen, it probably would have been in the late 90's when there were talks about a 3,000 seat venue just down the road from Messa.

Wholin1
09-24-2014, 04:53 PM
I agree. I just don't think that is in the cards.

If that was going to happen, it probably would have been in the late 90's when there were talks about a 3,000 seat venue just down the road from Messa.New rink is an impossibility barring a huge private donation. There is plenty that can be done with the existing facility if there is the will and the means.

UnionFan4Life
09-24-2014, 05:45 PM
New rink is an impossibility barring a huge private donation. There is plenty that can be done with the existing facility if there is the will and the means.
I hear rumors about expanding Messa from the football field side, adding concessions/lobby area and utilize it for both hockey and football seasons. I would like to see a new rink though, but like you said, without a huge private donation, it doesn't seem feasible.

johnk
09-24-2014, 09:12 PM
Rangers reassign 20 and Bodie isn't one of them. Great for him. Hopefully gets a top 6 assignment in Hartford.

rdf8585
09-25-2014, 01:39 AM
Philly re-assigned Hatch to Lehigh Valley (AHL) training camp. Gostisbehere is still in Flyers camp.

rdf8585
09-25-2014, 11:27 AM
Griffyn Martin has left the team: http://bit.ly/1su3RGC

The timing surprises me. I wasn't expecting anyone else to leave after the Gonye news last week.

UnionFan4Life
09-25-2014, 12:39 PM
Griffyn Martin has left the team: http://bit.ly/1su3RGC

The timing surprises me. I wasn't expecting anyone else to leave after the Gonye news last week.
He probably realized he wasn't going to get much playing time.

Hokydad
09-25-2014, 12:51 PM
"Gonye, 20, came to Union after a stellar prep career with Deerfield Academy"

"Martin came to Union after a decorated prep career at Avon Old Farms."

Moral of the story, go to USHL/BCHL/NAHL and get ready, Deerfield and Avon wont do it for everyone.