PDA

View Full Version : UNION Hockey National Champion's Off Season-U Believe it?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Hokydad
07-21-2014, 06:20 PM
scarfo will be in lineup

light is not coming to sit in stands either

Wholin1
07-21-2014, 08:31 PM
With my apologies to Forrest Gump, recruits are like a box of chocolates,you never know what you are going to get, not at least until they skate onto the rink and show their wares. The coaches will tell you the same thing. Did anyone realistically think Ghost would turn into the player he became when recruited out of Florida? Who knows, maybe in four years we'll be talking about this class being one of the greatest as we now recognize those who departed this season with a national championship. It's part of what makes following college hockey so much fun.

UnionFan4Life
07-21-2014, 10:47 PM
scarfo will be in lineup

light is not coming to sit in stands either
I think you can say the same thing about Brassard. It was a little shocking, but exciting to see him coming in this year.

rdf8585
07-21-2014, 11:47 PM
Everything I've heard about Brassard points to him being a big get for Union. But as an 18-year-old right out of prep school, I'd temper my expectations early on. Even Gostisbehere needed at least half a season to adjust. But the ceiling with Brassard is very high.

Overall, this is another great class at least on paper. Last year's freshmen left a lot to live up to, but I think this class has that kind of potential. What was lost this summer can't be underestimated, but there's a lot coming back and a lot of potential coming in. I think you'll see Union get picked 2nd or 3rd in the preseason ECAC poll. Colgate, which is returning almost its entire team, is sounding like the preseason favorite for first.

Union will have a combined 17 freshman and sophomores this season as the roster currently stands.

rdf8585
07-22-2014, 01:42 AM
Former Union star Jeremy Welsh has a new hockey home. (http://unionhockeyblog.blogspot.com/2014/07/welsh-signs-with-blues.html)

Dutchman
07-22-2014, 07:21 AM
While our thoughts are to the upcoming year ... last years team set a lot of ECAC records and will forever be in the record books. For example, each year, since 1962, the ECAC has selected an ALL-TOURNAMENT team with the exception of 1973-87 when no team was selected. As best as I can tell, from looking through the records, only three ECAC players, and only one forward, have ever been selected to the ECAC - ALL TOURNAMENT team three years in a row.

Ken Dryden - Cornell - G - 67', 68', 69'
Doug Murray - Cornell - D - 01', 02', 03'
Daniel Carr - Union - F - 12', 13', 14'

Hokydad
07-22-2014, 11:38 AM
I think you can say the same thing about Brassard. It was a little shocking, but exciting to see him coming in this year.

not really, Scarfo is ready now, Brassard a ways away. Hope I am wrong. Light is more ready

Dutchman
07-23-2014, 08:44 AM
Colgate, which is returning almost its entire team, is sounding like the preseason favorite for first. Union will have a combined 17 freshman and sophomores this season as the roster currently stands.

I think Yale is returning lots including their goalie, Q has a great recruiting class, Dartmouth is returning everyone, Brown is supposed to have great recruits with lots of returning starters, Princeton has a new high energy coach with a proven track record, RPI has their great goalie returning with some top recruits ..... what a year its going to be ....

What this says to me is that the ECAC is going to be intensely competitive again next year and this should be reflective in the league OC record. A big weekend will be when Brown and Dartmouth square off against BC on January 2 and 3 and earlier when Colgate plays Providence.

None of us can predict .... last year RPI was supposed to finish first and Clarkson was supposed to finish last.

Maine Black Bears will be a big early test for us, for our youngin's ... last year they were 13-3-0 at home and 1-12-3 away.

Wholin1
07-23-2014, 10:11 AM
We are National Champions but we will still be 0-0 when the season starts.

Nottme
07-24-2014, 06:54 AM
Saratoga Racetrack is hosting College Day tomorrow. It's a fun day. From their website:

"The New York Racing Association will pay tribute to the 2014 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Champions from Union College with a race named in their honor on College Day. Head Coach Rick Bennett will present the trophy to the winner of the day's third race (approximately 2:02 p.m.). Additionally, the NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey championship trophy will be on display throughout the afternoon near the Big Red Spring in the backyard."

Pick a few winners Coach.

rdf8585
07-24-2014, 03:59 PM
Former Union goalie Kris Mayotte has been named an assistant at Providence: http://bit.ly/1mKkqoy

The Union connections within that program never seem to end.

Dutchman
07-25-2014, 06:54 AM
This is an interesting choice. It looks like Coach Leaman used some of his connections to Union. That being said, you would think he would have went after Jason Tapp. The two worked together at Union and Tapp has developed some very good goalies (Kincaid, Grosnik, Stevens) in a short time.

You forgot Alex-Sekellaropoulos. IMO the best example of Tapp developing a goalie in a short period of time was Alex Sekellaropoulos, our freshman goalie last year.
http://www.collegehockeynews.com/players/career/Alex-Sakellaropoulos/29439
http://www.uscho.com/stats/player/mid,22949/alex-sakellaropoulos/#20132014

Alex got off to a rockey start last year, being thrust into a starting role in the beginning of the year when Colin Stevens was given a concussion by Bowling Green. Alex went 1-2-2. With help from Tapp, Alex came back in December/January to finish strong with three wins. A deserved win by shutting out Penn State when he stepped in for Stevens, Alex also shut out Brown and also almost shut out St. Cloud, one of the top scoring teams in the country. He gave up one goal in his last three appearences, was 3-0. He is an "ace in the hole"

hockey1959
07-25-2014, 07:04 AM
Tapp's work has been impressive. I am sure Union is happy to have him stay on staff. I would guess if he keeps producing top goal tenders he will move up the ranks in college hockey.

Dutchman
07-25-2014, 07:18 AM
In the 8 Games of the playoffs last year starting with the ECAC Quarterfinals and through the National Championship:
(Going up against some of the best from the ECAC and HE)
Average Goals Scored: 4.63
Average goals against: 2.13
Spread: 2.50

sshablak
07-25-2014, 07:42 AM
I think Yale is returning lots including their goalie, Q has a great recruiting class, Dartmouth is returning everyone, Brown is supposed to have great recruits with lots of returning starters, Princeton has a new high energy coach with a proven track record, RPI has their great goalie returning with some top recruits ..... what a year its going to be ....

What this says to me is that the ECAC is going to be intensely competitive again next year and this should be reflective in the league OC record. A big weekend will be when Brown and Dartmouth square off against BC on January 2 and 3 and earlier when Colgate plays Providence.

None of us can predict .... last year RPI was supposed to finish first and Clarkson was supposed to finish last.

Maine Black Bears will be a big early test for us, for our youngin's ... last year they were 13-3-0 at home and 1-12-3 away.

Colgate returns all players but backup goalie and one skater. Last year's team had seventeen frosh and sophs. They were 7-9-2 before Xmas and 14-3 after Xmas, their best players will only be sophs and juniors this year, they have two great years coming. Vaughan also says that some guys will be getting less ice time this year because of the incoming frosh.

Also pics of the new rink coming in 2016 will help recruiting, it is beautiful.

Dutchman
07-25-2014, 07:49 AM
If Union manages 20 wins this year and goes, say 20 - 16, Coach Bennett will have amased over 100 wins with a winning percentage of .70. That will make him #1 winning percenatge among all active NCAA DI Coaches and in the top 4 of alltime, alltime. If a Jerry York or a Jeff Jackson were then to retire ....

Dutchman
07-25-2014, 07:59 AM
Colgate returns all players but backup goalie and one skater. Last year's team had seventeen frosh and sophs. They were 7-9-2 before Xmas and 14-3 after Xmas, their best players will only be sophs and juniors this year, they have two great years coming. Vaughan also says that some guys will be getting less ice time this year because of the incoming frosh.

Also pics of the new rink coming in 2016 will help recruiting, it is beautiful.

No question that Colgate has got to be picked to lead the ECAC next year. I though that if you got by Ferris State last year one more time you would have made the Frozen 4. You were the only ECAC team we had a regular season losing record against last year.

Dutchman
07-25-2014, 08:10 AM
Tapp's work has been impressive. I am sure Union is happy to have him stay on staff. I would guess if he keeps producing top goal tenders he will move up the ranks in college hockey.

Coach Tapp is also a great recruiter !!! Coach Bennett is always praising his coaches and credits the success of the team to them. It is well deserved praise.

Dutchman
07-25-2014, 02:01 PM
Video showing new Hockey digs for Miami. Coach Blasi does a walk-through and also shows the off-ice shooting area complete with simulated crowd ... Woooow !!!! We have nothing like this? :( Time for a fundraiser? Is this something the Garnet Blades should support? Does this stuff help with recruiting? I don't think this would fit in with us because all the other Union teams are D-III teams and would feel left out. This stuff just does not fit with a D-III athletic school, which fundamentally, we are. However, new cases and wall plaques are in order. The ones we have now look like crap. :eek:

http://www.muredhawks.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=3336411&db_oem_id=26100

Dutchman
07-25-2014, 05:27 PM
Check out the Hockey Trophy Cases in this Colgate Video. Colgate has a great weight program by the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjIHb-tMRiY