Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNION Hockey National Champion's Off Season-U Believe it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNION Hockey National Champion's Off Season-U Believe it?

Not sure about all this St. Lawrence stuff, but Rick Bennett's contract extension is noteworthy in that he is unequivocally the best coach in collegiate sports. Who is unsung is Union's DA, Jim McLaughlin, an All American football player at Union, later groomed at two Ivies, and leading Union to great heights athletically.

Comment

Originally posted by SPSalum View Post
      Not sure about all this St. Lawrence stuff, but Rick Bennett's contract extension is noteworthy in that he is unequivocally the best coach in collegiate sports. Who is unsung is Union's DA, Jim McLaughlin, an All American football player at Union, later groomed at two Ivies, and leading Union to great heights athletically.
      "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XZWgHNcUeA&feature=kp
      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

• They are still moaning in Troy over RB's indiscretion. Little has been exposed regarding the provocation. Unfortunately the RPI faithful have absolutely no knowledge of what an impressive individual RB is. Obviously sour grapes are hanging with the aging '85 championship banner in HFH.
        Union has the best coach in the country, who loves where he is. Bennett & Union...what a combo!

Comment

Originally posted by SPSalum View Post
          Bennett & Union...what a combo!
          You sound like John Sterling, the Yankee Announcer.
          YALE HOCKEY
          2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
            I also prefer that we not play SLU non-conference but when you can put 3000+ fannies in the seats compared to 2000-2500 for another opponent and you have little to no travel expense you can see why these games are scheduled.
            And obviously in RPI's/Union's case, it's 7000 at the TUC, sometimes combined as a two-fer with the AHL team.

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
              JohnK posted on here in April that Union is "unofficially" at Notre Dame on 11/27-28. So far, everything else he posted then has proven true (though the Maine games are at Maine, not here).

Looks like that weekend in November is the weekend of the Shillelaigh. But Union's participation remains a rumor for the time being.
              Based upon our musing at the schedules thread, it seems to be the only possibility. The tournament, if you are indeed participating in it, will also include a Big Ten team (can't remember specifically which one at the moment of typing).

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                Based upon our musing at the schedules thread, it seems to be the only possibility. The tournament, if you are indeed participating in it, will also include a Big Ten team (can't remember specifically which one at the moment of typing).
                Coach confirmed during online event this evening that the team will be traveling to Notre Dame, no other details were provided while I was viewing.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                  Coach confirmed during online event this evening that the team will be traveling to Notre Dame, no other details were provided while I was viewing.
                  That would tell me Shillelaigh, especially considering it says nothing about playing them. Of course, mid-December is also a possibility. Any other weekend one of you is already booked, or it's the week you guys have finals.

Comment

I read in the transactions column of today's Times Union that the ECAC had appointed a new associate commissioner for officiating. I couldn't tell much from the one line and I've already forgotten the name. I'm wondering if this means that Stewart is out.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                      I read in the transactions column of today's Times Union that the ECAC had appointed a new associate commissioner for officiating. I couldn't tell much from the one line and I've already forgotten the name. I'm wondering if this means that Stewart is out.
                      I remember hearing during last season Tim Kotyra retired from officiating to take a position like this. Maybe him?
                      Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

No that wasn't the name. I will check when I get home and post it if no one else has.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                          No that wasn't the name. I will check when I get home and post it if no one else has.
                          I checked and the official is Ronnie Nunn but I think he is a basketball guy. The line item didn't mention the sport and I assumed it was hockey but it's more likely b ball.

Comment

Check out this awesome video made by Union:

Without Equal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzhzS5nCCD8

It has some highlights of the National Championship and interviews with Bennett, Ainlay, McLaughlin, Carr, Bodie and Ikkala.
                            LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
                              Check out this awesome video made by Union:
                              Without Equal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzhzS5nCCD8
                              It has some highlights of the National Championship and interviews with Bennett, Ainlay, McLaughlin, Carr, Bodie and Ikkala.
                              Thank you for passing this on. Made it to the Blades Golf Tournament ... the whole team was there including the Ghost and the Captain. When Coach Bennett was introduced he received a thunderous sustained prolonged standing ovation. It was also homecoming weekend for my class. The team was also at the ReUnion weekend Saturday picnic, including Bodie, Ghost and Carr. Asked Matt if I could have my picture taken with him and he gladly obliged. Told him that his leadership as Captain was a key ingredient to the team and possibly the biggest single reason for the teams overall success.

Told President Ainlay, that IMO, he is the finest President Union College has had since Everett Nott saved the school from bankruptcy.

There are so many pieces that have to all play together for a program like this to work. Players, Coaches, the School Community including faculty and students, and of course Alumni, etc. For my class we had about double the expected turnout which I believe was do to the deep pride we all felt for the school and the success of the team.

Coach Bennett reminds us all at the end of the video .... we are losing allot ..... and we will have everyone gunning for us. However, having met and shaken the hands of just about every returning player, I feel confident that we are going to be a very very physical team, and a very tough out.

If you have not already, I would encourage you to join the Garnet Blades. Its the one thing us fans can do to keep this thing going.
                              Last edited by Dutchman; 06-02-2014, 01:48 PM.
                              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                                If you have not already, I would encourage you to join the Garnet Blades. Its the one thing us fans can do to keep this thing going.
                                Thanks for the plug Dman. The tournament was a stunning success, mirroring the Championship season and I think a great time was had by all. We expect to close the books on a record fund raising year, topping over $200,000 raised and well over $1,000,000 in the twelve years since the inception of the group. All proceeds go directly to the hockey program and help to fill in the gaps in Athletic Department funding.

Comment

Working...
                                X