Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNION Hockey National Champion's Off Season-U Believe it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNION Hockey National Champion's Off Season-U Believe it?

Just a factoid ... in looking over the pictures of the ECAC team banners in Lake Placid I noticed that three ECAC teams have never won the ECAC Tournament ... can you guess who they are?

BROWN, DARTMOUTH and QU

This could be the year that one of them gets a number on their banner, 2015. I really liked Lake Placid .... hope the ECAC keeps its tournament here for a while.

History of the ECAC Tournament (my numbers may be off a little ... they were taken from the picture of the banners ... corrections are welcomed)

#1 CORNELL (11)
    #2 HARVARD (8)
    ST. LAWRENCE (6)
    #4 CLARKSON (5)
    #5. UNION TIED WITH RPI (3)
    UNION (3)
    RPI (3)
    #6. YALE TIED WITH PRINCETON (2)
    YALE (2)
    PRINCETON (2)
    #7. COLGATE (1)
    #8. BROWN, DARTMOUTH and QU (0)

Note
    Providence 1981
    NE 1982
    BU 72, 74, 75, 76, 77,
    BC 78
    NH 79
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
      History of the ECAC Tournament (my numbers may be off a little ... they were taken from the picture of the banners ... corrections are welcomed)
      By Year

By Team
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The Garnet Blades Golf Tournament on May 30 at Stadium sold out out but there is still space for the reception and auction. There is a waiting list in case of cancellations. We are trying to set up on line auction capability, there are going to be some great items available with a link available soon.

Comment

ECAC Hockey - What has changed?

The current makeup of the ECAC consists of 6 Ivy League Schools, 4 Liberty League (D-III) Schools, 1 Patriot League School and 1 MAAC conference school.

Over the past decade, the "average" ECAC team statistically has been as good as your "average" WCHA, CCHA, HE, (now including Big10 & NCHC) etc. Where the ECAC could not compete was against the perennial top powers, (Michigan, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Denver, BU, Boston College, .... etc.) and failed to go very far in the NCAA playoffs which means making it to the Frozen -4

Now the ECAC has shown that it may have 4-5 teams who have the potential to go deep into the NCAA Playoffs. Hopefully, after the past two years we can land at least one in the Frozen-4 each year. In the last three years, the ECAC is 15-6 in the NCAA Tournament Play. In the previous 12 years the ECAC only recorded 12 NCAA tournament wins. 2011 was tought because Union and Yale landed in a Regional with a great Minnnesota Duluth Team, who went on to win it all ..

NCAA PLAYOFF RECORD
          YEAR ECAC teams (Won-Lost)
          2000 1-2 St. Lawrence FF
          2001 0-1
          2002 2-2
          2003 2-2 Cornell FF
          2004 0-1
          2005 2-2
          2006 1-2
          2007 0-2
          2008 1-2
          2009 1-3
          2010 1-2
          2011 1-2
          2012 3-2 Union FF
          2013 8-2 QU & Yale FF
          2014 4-2 Union FF
          Last edited by Dutchman; 05-11-2014, 08:17 PM.
          DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
          DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
            The Garnet Blades Golf Tournament on May 30 at Stadium sold out out but there is still space for the reception and auction. There is a waiting list in case of cancellations. We are trying to set up on line auction capability, there are going to be some great items available with a link available soon.
            So Wholin, is there any influence the Blades can have on what I think many of us consider the biggest off-season issue for the program.. which I will put in the form of a chant:

Clap-Clap-ClapClapClap We Want a NEW RINK!!!!

Let's face it, if momentum doesn't happen now when will it ever??
            UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
              So Wholin, is there any influence the Blades can have on what I think many of us consider the biggest off-season issue for the program.. which I will put in the form of a chant:

Let's face it, if momentum doesn't happen now when will it ever??
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3kQlzOi27M

Comment

Mike McMahon ‏@MikeMcMahonCHN 1m
                After speaking to several different schools, was told Fortunato was down to BU and Union as his final two.
                Looks like Union was a finalist for his services but BU won out.
                QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
                https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

• Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                  Looks like Union was a finalist for his services but BU won out.
                  Pretty sure his dad played for Union.

Comment

Bob Prier has resigned as Princeton coach. Depending on which way Princeton goes in replacing him, there could be the usual ripple effect in the coaching ranks. Eventually, Joe Dumais and Jason Tapp are going to get a look to head up a program and are both deserving in my view, will it be this one?

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                      Bob Prier has resigned as Princeton coach. Depending on which way Princeton goes in replacing him, there could be the usual ripple effect in the coaching ranks. Eventually, Joe Dumais and Jason Tapp are going to get a look to head up a program and are both deserving in my view, will it be this one?
                      Joe and Jason have done an outstanding Job and another ECAC team would be an easy fit. However, I am not sure the Princeton Job is a "good move" for either of them. It could be a dead end job as it is not clear how important athletics, and especially mens' athletics, are at Princeton. The Ivys' often look to hire their own alumni in such slots because "winning" is a smaller piece of the success "quotient" than it might be elsewhere and the intangibles are more important for success. I think this would be especially true for an inbred school like Princeton. Both their new president and athletic directors are alumni. Wise counsel might be that they wait for a "leading role" opportunity on a different stage and one where strong support for athletics and for the program exists up through the schools boards.

Newly appointed athletic director Mollie Marcoux ’91 will face an early challenge in conducting a nationwide search for Prier’s successor.

Prier’s record through three seasons was 25-58-12, including a postseason mark of 2-6. His tenure is the program’s shortest since that of John Wilson, who stepped aside in 1967 after two seasons at Baker Rink.

Ford Family Director of Athletics Gary Walters ’67, who will retire at the end of the school year, offered the following words in the official release: “On behalf of the Princeton University, I’d like to best wish Bob Prier the best of luck in the next chapter of his career. Bob has represented Princeton with great energy and passion, and he had a great love for the Princeton hockey program. We wish him and his family well.”
                      Last edited by Dutchman; 05-15-2014, 04:22 AM.
                      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Nice Article in the New England Hockey Journal which many of you may have already seen
                        Dutchmen beat Minnesota for first national championship April 13, 2014

Long after the game, in the bowels of the arena, with the nets cut into dozens of pieces for players and staff, the confetti covering the ice surface, and the national championship trophy tucked safely in a box bound for upstate New York, senior Matt Hatch practically skipped through the bowels of the arena carrying a sandwich in his hand.

"Found the cheesesteaks!" Hatch said to a passerby.

Saturday night, despite the odds against a tiny school from a city whose name most people can't spell, with a star defenseman whose name nobody can pronounce, Union found the victory cheesesteaks – not to mention the national title.

Twitter: @A_Merritt
                        Email: amerritt@hockeyjournal.com
                        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

• Brendan Collier, who was Mike Vecchione's former linemate at Malden Catholic High School, has been cut by BU.
                          The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Not sure if you guys saw, but Qunnipiac has been replaced by UMass/Lowell at the Frozen Holiday Classic that Union is scheduled to play in December
                            YALE HOCKEY
                            2013 National Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                              Not sure if you guys saw, but Qunnipiac has been replaced by UMass/Lowell at the Frozen Holiday Classic that Union is scheduled to play in December
                              Nice catch Lt. I actually haven't seen the schedule yet but assume it will be out by the end of the month.

Comment

Joe Dumais speculated as a possible candidate for Princeton position along with Ben Barr and Bill Riga as well as others. I think they'd all be great candidates. I'm not sure how great a job it is but Princeton has a new AD coming in, maybe the commitment to the hockey program will be reinvigorated. It's a pretty small fraternity so when an opening comes up, those interested in being a HC have to give it serious consideration IMO.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014...yopyk-ben-barr

Comment

Working...
                                X