PDA

View Full Version : UNION Hockey National Champion's Off Season-U Believe it?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Wholin1
05-12-2014, 09:35 PM
So Wholin, is there any influence the Blades can have on what I think many of us consider the biggest off-season issue for the program.. which I will put in the form of a chant:

Clap-Clap-ClapClapClap We Want a NEW RINK!!!!
Clap-Clap-ClapClapClap We Want a NEW RINK!!!!

Let's face it, if momentum doesn't happen now when will it ever??http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3kQlzOi27M

QUAlum2004
05-13-2014, 04:50 PM
Mike McMahon ‏@MikeMcMahonCHN 1m
After speaking to several different schools, was told Fortunato was down to BU and Union as his final two.

Looks like Union was a finalist for his services but BU won out.

Wholin1
05-13-2014, 06:04 PM
Looks like Union was a finalist for his services but BU won out.
Pretty sure his dad played for Union.

Wholin1
05-14-2014, 09:36 AM
Bob Prier has resigned as Princeton coach. Depending on which way Princeton goes in replacing him, there could be the usual ripple effect in the coaching ranks. Eventually, Joe Dumais and Jason Tapp are going to get a look to head up a program and are both deserving in my view, will it be this one?

Dutchman
05-15-2014, 04:18 AM
Bob Prier has resigned as Princeton coach. Depending on which way Princeton goes in replacing him, there could be the usual ripple effect in the coaching ranks. Eventually, Joe Dumais and Jason Tapp are going to get a look to head up a program and are both deserving in my view, will it be this one?

Joe and Jason have done an outstanding Job and another ECAC team would be an easy fit. However, I am not sure the Princeton Job is a "good move" for either of them. It could be a dead end job as it is not clear how important athletics, and especially mens' athletics, are at Princeton. The Ivys' often look to hire their own alumni in such slots because "winning" is a smaller piece of the success "quotient" than it might be elsewhere and the intangibles are more important for success. I think this would be especially true for an inbred school like Princeton. Both their new president and athletic directors are alumni. Wise counsel might be that they wait for a "leading role" opportunity on a different stage and one where strong support for athletics and for the program exists up through the schools boards.

Newly appointed athletic director Mollie Marcoux ’91 will face an early challenge in conducting a nationwide search for Prier’s successor.

Prier’s record through three seasons was 25-58-12, including a postseason mark of 2-6. His tenure is the program’s shortest since that of John Wilson, who stepped aside in 1967 after two seasons at Baker Rink.

Ford Family Director of Athletics Gary Walters ’67, who will retire at the end of the school year, offered the following words in the official release: “On behalf of the Princeton University, I’d like to best wish Bob Prier the best of luck in the next chapter of his career. Bob has represented Princeton with great energy and passion, and he had a great love for the Princeton hockey program. We wish him and his family well.”

Dutchman
05-15-2014, 06:57 PM
Nice Article in the New England Hockey Journal which many of you may have already seen
Dutchmen beat Minnesota for first national championship April 13, 2014

Long after the game, in the bowels of the arena, with the nets cut into dozens of pieces for players and staff, the confetti covering the ice surface, and the national championship trophy tucked safely in a box bound for upstate New York, senior Matt Hatch practically skipped through the bowels of the arena carrying a sandwich in his hand.

"Found the cheesesteaks!" Hatch said to a passerby.

Saturday night, despite the odds against a tiny school from a city whose name most people can't spell, with a star defenseman whose name nobody can pronounce, Union found the victory cheesesteaks – not to mention the national title.

Twitter: @A_Merritt
Email: amerritt@hockeyjournal.com

C-H-C
05-15-2014, 07:06 PM
Brendan Collier, who was Mike Vecchione's former linemate at Malden Catholic High School, has been cut by BU.

LTsatch
05-15-2014, 08:55 PM
Not sure if you guys saw, but Qunnipiac has been replaced by UMass/Lowell at the Frozen Holiday Classic that Union is scheduled to play in December

Wholin1
05-15-2014, 08:59 PM
Not sure if you guys saw, but Qunnipiac has been replaced by UMass/Lowell at the Frozen Holiday Classic that Union is scheduled to play in December
Nice catch Lt. I actually haven't seen the schedule yet but assume it will be out by the end of the month.

Wholin1
05-16-2014, 09:32 AM
Joe Dumais speculated as a possible candidate for Princeton position along with Ben Barr and Bill Riga as well as others. I think they'd all be great candidates. I'm not sure how great a job it is but Princeton has a new AD coming in, maybe the commitment to the hockey program will be reinvigorated. It's a pretty small fraternity so when an opening comes up, those interested in being a HC have to give it serious consideration IMO.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014/5/15/5721904/ecac-hockey-potential-candidates-to-replace-bob-prier-at-princeton-darren-yopyk-ben-barr

Wholin1
05-16-2014, 09:57 AM
On a sobering note, former Union commit and Providence player, Drew Brown is battling cancer. Best wishes to him.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/hockey-east/2014/5/15/5720714/providences-drew-brown-diagnosed-with-cancer

Dutchman
05-18-2014, 10:44 AM
Does anyone have our non-conference schedule for 2014 - 2015? Have I got this correct?
- Maine (Home) (2)
- B.U (Away) (1)
- St. Cloud (Home) (2) ?
- New Hampshire (Home) (1) ?
- UML/Sacred Heart/UCONN (Connecticut Tournament)

Do we have two with UNH? Any western trips? Will we have 10 non-conference like last year? I hope we get an opportunity to play UML in Connecticut. Our win in the 2011 Regionals against them was one of the best matchups I have ever seen. Lots of HE on the schedule. IMO would be great of we could schedule Providence each year.

Wholin1
05-18-2014, 10:50 AM
I don't have the dates but I believe that the two Maine games are at Maine not at home. I think there are two games at Notre Dame. One home game with UNH is my understanding, as I believe they are playing one the same weekend at RPI.

Dutchman
05-18-2014, 02:54 PM
I don't have the dates but I believe that the two Maine games are at Maine not at home. I think there are two games at Notre Dame. One home game with UNH is my understanding, as I believe they are playing one the same weekend at RPI.

Thanks, that would add up to 10 for non-conference, with up to 8 being HE teams. That is a change. We are going to have our hands filled with that schedule.

ADK11
05-18-2014, 11:05 PM
Does anyone have our non-conference schedule for 2014 - 2015? Have I got this correct?
- Maine (Home) (2)
- B.U (Away) (1)
- St. Cloud (Home) (2) ?
- New Hampshire (Home) (1) ?
- UML/Sacred Heart/UCONN (Connecticut Tournament)

Do we have two with UNH? Any western trips? Will we have 10 non-conference like last year? I hope we get an opportunity to play UML in Connecticut. Our win in the 2011 Regionals against them was one of the best matchups I have ever seen. Lots of HE on the schedule. IMO would be great of we could schedule Providence each year.Allowed to & typically have 12 non-conf games. Adding the Mayors Cup and 2 with Notre Dame is 11, so would guess there will be one more. Agree this will be a very challenging schedule, but am thrilled to see teams like SCSU & UNH coming to Schenectady.. the days of 6-7 AHA games seem to be over.

Dutchman
05-19-2014, 03:35 PM
Just Out:

UConn Announces Non-Conference Opponents
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/051914aaa.html

UConn will also play a pair of games at Webster Bank Arena as part of the first-ever Frozen Holiday Classic tournament. The four team field will feature the Huskies, Sacred Heart University, fellow Hockey East member UMass Lowell and defending national champion Union College.

Dutchman
05-20-2014, 06:07 AM
Can the ECAC keep it going?

NCAA PLAYOFF RECORD
RECORD OF ECAC TEAMS (Won-Lost) IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT
2000 1-2 St. Lawrence made it to the FF
2001 0-1
2002 2-2
2003 2-2 Cornell made it to the FF
2004 0-1
2005 2-2
2006 1-2
2007 0-2
2008 1-2
2009 1-3
2010 1-2
2011 1-2
2012 3-2 Union FF
2013 8-2 QU & Yale FF
2014 4-2 Union FF

The NCAA Tournament record of the ECAC the past three years is 15-6. The record for the previous 12 years is 12-23
From 2000 - 2011 12-23
From 2012 - 2014 15-6

Last year 5 HE teams made the NCAA tournament and three ECAC teams. These are the ECAC teams that have made it to the NCAA tournament of recent
Yale
Union
Cornell
Colgate
QU

These are the teams that are purported to be on the rise
Dartmouth
Brown
Harvard

These are dark horses ?
Princeton
St. Lawrence
Clarkson
RPI

Do the ECAC teams, and particularly the IVYs, have the type of aggressive out of conference schedule to get more than three teams in the tournament? Is this another year where there is so much competiton and balance that league competition will constrain the number of ECAC teams that make the tournament? We need next years National Champ to come from the ECAC. Who is it going to be? Who is going to step up? Which ECAC team(s) have the best chance for the third straight national title?

LynahFan
05-20-2014, 06:31 AM
Is there anyone who really thinks Harvard is on the rise? If so, they sure don't post here.

QUAlum2004
05-20-2014, 07:22 AM
Is there anyone who really thinks Harvard is on the rise? If so, they sure don't post here.

I am surprised that he put that as well. Harvard is losing top commits left and right. They have no business being a team on the rise.

Dutchman
05-20-2014, 09:48 AM
I am surprised that he put that as well. Harvard is losing top commits left and right. They have no business being a team on the rise.

OK Agreed. I have not been following what is going on with regard with recruiting.

Next year we are loosing:

Bodie
Carr
The Ghost
Hatch
Ikkala
Sullivan

Even if we were able to make up for the talent/speed loss, which we won't, we will never replace the leadership from last years team. Here is hoping that the ECAC will again bring home the trophy. Its not likely (miracle) it will be us. :mad: What is the prognosis for Cornell? QU? Is Colgate going to be our best hope? Brown and Dartmouth face BC this year. Next year the FF will be in Boston and I want to get started and buy the right Jersey. :)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=apdBCKsnkVQQ7M&tbnid=ZdAOjIeUs2RerM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.icejerseys.com%2Fproducts%2FU SA-Patriotic-Fan-Hockey-Jersey-p8588%2F&ei=uWx7U7aSMY6syATFyYAI&bvm=bv.67229260,d.aWw&psig=AFQjCNGVyGilTaPwEi-dHEvE6Owc9yiHOg&ust=1400684033206469

Come to think of it I do have a Cornell Sweatshirt):rolleyes: