Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNION Hockey National Champion's Off Season-U Believe it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNION Hockey National Champion's Off Season-U Believe it?

Originally posted by UnionFan4Life View Post
    2014-15 recruit Kevin Shier was named OJHL playoff MVP. He had 8 goals and 24 assists in 19 games.
    Congratulations on recruiting Kevin. His father, Pete, was an outstanding player at Cornell. We would have loved to get him.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by JakeMalloy View Post
      How do you join? Is there a link? I would like to become more involved. Thx.
      The best bet is to call Hockey Administrative Assistant, Kelli Hays directly at 518-388-6288. Here is the link if you prefer. http://www.unionathletics.com/sports...x?path=mhockey It would be great to have you aboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Congratulations on recruiting Kevin. His father, Pete, was an outstanding player at Cornell. We would have loved to get him.
        When did his father play? Was Cornell in the mix?

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
          When did his father play? Was Cornell in the mix?
          Kevin's father Pete played from 75-78. Put up 50 points in his final season before a brief minor pro career.
          https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
          Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
            Kevin's father Pete played from 75-78. Put up 50 points in his final season before a brief minor pro career.
            That 50 points was in 27 games. As a defenseman.

Of course, he was 33 points behind the team's leading scorer...
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by alnike View Post
              I will say more of the same...

1. Colgate - leading up to Sr. laden 15-16 team. NCAA team.
              2. Union - lose key players, but strong program has momentum. NCAA team.
              3. Cornell - Need a goalie, solid Sr. class (NCAA bubble)
              4. Quinnipiac - Graduate some key players, enough talent there in Peca, Anas and the goalie. (NCAA bubble)
              5. Dartmouth - returning scorers lead resurgence.
              6. Yale - status quo
              Harvard and Brown seem to have the potential to challenge for 5 and 6.
              My unbiased opinion is Colgate is the only "lock" to make the NCAA's. Even then there have been many times that a senior less or 1 senior team has had a worse year the next year. Cornell, U, Q, and Yale will all compete for a NCAA berth. Not saying the rest can't make a run to the NCAA. Safe to say the ECAC will be well represented once again
              Quinnipiac University '15
              ECAC Regular Season Champs: 2013, 2015, 2016
              ECAC Championship: 2016
              NCAA Tournament: 2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
              NCAA Frozen Four: 2013, 2016
              Yuck Fale : 2013

Comment

Originally posted by BigAl View Post
                My unbiased opinion is Colgate is the only "lock" to make the NCAA's. Even then there have been many times that a senior less or 1 senior team has had a worse year the next year. Cornell, U, Q, and Yale will all compete for a NCAA berth. Not saying the rest can't make a run to the NCAA. Safe to say the ECAC will be well represented once again
                I agree, on paper Colgate looks like the pre-season favorite for 2014-15 in the ECAC. However, as we all know, there are a lot of good teams in this conference, which will make for another exciting year. In Union's case, there is a strong incoming recruiting class who will have VERY big shoes to fill from the departing senior class. Union's success in the conference and (hopefully) NCAA tournaments will rely on the veterans stepping up and a couple impact freshman.

The position battles I'm interested in:
                5th & 6th defenseman
                Freshman: Connor Light, Nick DeSimone
                Sophomore: Matt Krug, Griffyn Martin

Filling out the 3rd and 4th lines:
                Freshman: Shier, Hynes, Ammirato (did not include Scarfo because I expect him to be in the top 2 lines with Vech, Ciampini, Novak, Wilkins, Pontarelli, and/or Eli)
                Sophomore: Gonye
                Junior: Roy, DiPauli
                Senior: Bennett

I think Union will have solid depth again next year. The coaching staff will have to find the right pieces of the puzzle to fill out the rest of the starting lineup.
                Union College Hockey
                2014 NCAA National Champions
                2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

Originally posted by UnionFan4Life View Post
                  I agree, on paper Colgate looks like the pre-season favorite for 2014-15 in the ECAC. However, as we all know, there are a lot of good teams in this conference, which will make for another exciting year. In Union's case, there is a strong incoming recruiting class who will have VERY big shoes to fill from the departing senior class. Union's success in the conference and (hopefully) NCAA tournaments will rely on the veterans stepping up and a couple impact freshman.

The position battles I'm interested in:
                  5th & 6th defenseman
                  Freshman: Connor Light, Nick DeSimone
                  Sophomore: Matt Krug, Griffyn Martin

Filling out the 3rd and 4th lines:
                  Freshman: Shier, Hynes, Ammirato (did not include Scarfo because I expect him to be in the top 2 lines with Vech, Ciampini, Novak, Wilkins, Pontarelli, and/or Eli)
                  Sophomore: Gonye
                  Junior: Roy, DiPauli
                  Senior: Bennett

I think Union will have solid depth again next year. The coaching staff will have to find the right pieces of the puzzle to fill out the rest of the starting lineup.
                  Anyone hear any rumors about Colorado Collage going hard after Coach Bennett? I had heard that they were going to make him their #1 target. Former RPI'er is their AD and they have deep pockets - especially for a small school. They play in a great building too, and are neighbors with USA Hockey in Colorado Springs, which is clearly much more beautiful than Schenectady, NY.

Comment

Anyone hear any rumors about Colorado Collage going hard after Coach Bennett? I had heard that they were going to make him their #1 target. Former RPI'er is their AD and they have deep pockets - especially for a small school. They play in a great building too, and are neighbors with USA Hockey in Colorado Springs, which is clearly much more beautiful than Schenectady, NY.
                    If I am Bennett why go to Colorado College? If you are to make a move go to Ann Arbor when Red Berenson retires which should have happened already. He can name his price, have top facilities and the USNDP in his backyard.
                    QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                    2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                    2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                    2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                    https://***********/QHockeyBlog
                    https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                    https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

• Originally posted by JakeMalloy View Post
                      Don't forget a far less superior hockey team as well, which will take years to rebuild.
                      Union College Hockey
                      2014 NCAA National Champions
                      2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

Actually, I've heard rumors of CC looking at Seth Appert.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                          Actually, I've heard rumors of CC looking at Seth Appert.
                          Bennett is now to Union what gin is to tonic; he will not be leaving the Dutchmen.

Comment

Originally posted by SPSalum View Post
                            Bennett is now to Union what gin is to tonic; he will not be leaving the Dutchmen.
                            I'll drink to that!

Comment

UNH is coming for one next season -- tentatively, Sat. Oct 11. That's the earliest known home date for next season as of now.

Comment

Originally posted by SPSalum View Post
                                He won't be going to another NC$$ program, anyway. The NHL is always a risk when a coach wins it all. Hopefully (for the strength of the conference) Bennett is one of those guys who prefers to teach the college athlete.

That and the NHL grinds guys up in 3-4 years, but Bennett has a job for life at Union obviously.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X