Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northeastern Huskies 2014 Offseason: Resurrection's Over....Now What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northeastern Huskies 2014 Offseason: Resurrection's Over....Now What?

With the final curtain having been drawn on the 2013-14 season, it's time to retire the 2013-14 season thread (Part II) and look forward to what's in store for the 2014-15 season.

Last season marked the resurrection of the program from the Hockey East sludgepit, and it was a great ride while it lasted. Top Ten in the PWR for most of the season until the improbable Patrick Brown deflection with 4.5 minutes left in the Beanpot championship game, and then.....well, let's not talk about what happened from there to the end.

Things also went pretty well on this forum: A total of 1,816 posts to the two 2013-14 season threads. At least we know that there are lots of folks who give a **** about this program.

Now it's time to look ahead. I, for one, see plenty of reasons to be optimistic, starting with Clay Witt, should he choose to remain another year. Beyond that, the freshman class now has a year of experience under its belt, the upperclassmen have presumably matured, and the pipeline looks to be in better shape than it has been in years. Defense still looks to be suspect and losing Manson to the pros won't help.

Speaking of players turning pro, Notre Dame seems to have been hit hard. UML looks to be vulnerable in goal, losing Carr to graduation and Hellebucyk to the pros. BC loses Johnny Goo and Billy Arnold but that stable still has plenty of horses. The university on lower Comm. Ave., will be back (unfortunately).

So, let the speculation begin.
    Last edited by Split-N; 04-13-2014, 02:32 PM.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Re: Northeastern Huskies 2014 Offseason: Resurrection's Over....Now What?

Great analogy it was a very good season.
    43% increase in goals scored from last season
    110% increase in wins
    100% movement in hockey east
    8% decrease in goals against. Bloggers have suggested
    That this was due to Witt or a freshman class
    This was done thru a coaching staff that believe
    They can win and have built a foundation for the
    Team to believe in and yes the captain leaving was a blow
    But the best is yet to come this team has come together

Comment

Originally posted by Bad knees View Post
      43% increase in goals scored from last season
      8% decrease in goals against.
      These are the biggest 2 points for me, and I didn't even realize the second one was true. This is how the team will build on their success for next year. We lose 2 major contributors in Manson and Pimm, which are major losses no doubt, but this team statistically took a major step forward this season. It was a lot of fun to see, and a fantastic starting point to build off of. This freshman class, the lot of them, will grow and continue to produce in their own ways. Growth happens game-by-game, yes, but most notably season-to-season. They have put the foundation down for what can be something special next season.

Obviously there are question marks that need to be addressed. First one is in net, and I was skeptical at season's end, but I have since become inclined to believe Clay Witt will return for his last year of eligibility. This would clear up that first question mark instantly. Second is the defensive unit, which will need a new leader to step up in Manson's place, and some contribution/growth from players to help Clay out. Third is the powerplay, the abomination that we put out there this year cannot repeat. Keefe has his work cut out for himself there...

I am quite optimistic for 2014-15. Much more than I was for 2013-14. After the summer months pass by, it's going to be fun to see these guys back on the ice. 25 weeks!!
      "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
        Speaking of players turning pro, Notre Dame seems to have been hit hard.
        But... the Irish are fairly certain to bring in good players to replace them (goaltending remaining a question mark), and the current group have disappointed since the surprise Frozen Four appearance in 2011. Last I looked, none of the departures is a surprise.
        Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
        Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

BC loses Johnny Goo and Billy Arnold but that stable still has plenty of horses.
          And Hayes. Although, I wouldn't shed a tear for BC quite yet, they have an all-time great recruiting class coming in. As for BU, Jack Eichel instantly makes them a home ice contender again.
          2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
          2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Johnny Gaudreau, the most famous Northeastern recruit never to play for Northeastern, scores his first NHL goal on his first NHL shot. (Sorry, I'm still not over the whole JG debacle.)

Comment

Johnny Gaudreau, the most famous Northeastern recruit never to play for Northeastern, scores his first NHL goal on his first NHL shot. (Sorry, I'm still not over the whole JG debacle.)
              You're not alone, but it really is time to move on.

Comment

Neither is UNH

Comment

Positives for next year:

Multiple 20 point scorers returning
                  Defense will be more experienced and revamped
                  Clay Witt hasn't officially left NU yet
                  Kevin Roy is almost definitely going to be a Hobey finalist

Negatives:

Witt might leave still
                  Defense is still questionable
                  Coaching is still questionable

Key recruit: Trevor Owens, USPHL Defensive Player of the Year
                  Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                  Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

After PC and BC, 3rd place in HE in 2014-15 appears wide open, so why not Northeastern? The 3/4 spots in HE should content for an NCAA spot as well.

BU (because of Eichel), Northeastern or Maine (Shore/Hutton and a goalie?) could resurface in that spot.
                    UML, Notre Dame and UNH have significant graduating classes/defections although ND has not lost a player yet, possibly Lucia though. Then there is Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
                      Positives for next year:
                      ...Kevin Roy is almost definitely going to be a Hobey finalist...
                      I would posit that if Witt stays and has a dominating season, he will also be in the Hobey mix. And if that turns out to be the case, it will be interesting to see how Sports Info handles the task of promoting two of its players.

Comment

Anyone know offhand when the '14-15 schedule will be finalized and released? Can't remember when we '13-14 was sent out
                        "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

For now: As I saw on other USCHO threads - Minnesota is coming east for a bc/NU weekend of games and we play Quinnipiac 2 games probably at Matthews Arena.
                          Go Huskies!!!!

Real men play Ice Hockey and Football, little boys play the rest of the sports.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaeagle64 View Post
                            For now: As I saw on other USCHO threads - Minnesota is coming east for a bc/NU weekend of games and we play Quinnipiac 2 games probably at Matthews Arena.
                            I have the impression that the QPac games would be in CT this year, with a return in MA next ('15-16) year. They had some serious losses to graduation.

Owens is the key recruit on D. I'd add that Rosenthal is the key on O. He'll come in as a soph. He's been an absolute horse for Coquitlam during the season and especially in the playoffs. http://www.bchl.ca/leagues/rosters_p...showGameType=0

Comment

Originally posted by bsaeagle64 View Post
                              Heard about Minny, had no idea about games vs QU. That has me very excited, QU is 40 min from my hometown. That'll be a good series, regardless of location. They are a good team, even with their losses. Had the pleasure of seeing them versus PC earlier this year, Sam Anas is incredibly fun to watch. VERY strong in the defensive aspect of the game. Will be a good test for the boys
                              "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Working...
                              X