Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northeastern Huskies 2014 Offseason: Resurrection's Over....Now What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2014 Offseason: Resurrection's Over....Now What?

So I'm here in Florida on a mini vacation and stopped into Boston's On The Beach in Delray Beach. Lots of Boston sports memorabilia. Banners hanging from the ceiling for all Boston sports teams. There is one for BU, BC, Harvard and UMass but no Northeastern. The manager was fixing the Celtics one when I told him he needed to get a Northeastern one.

He tells me he got one but it was one-sided and he needs a two-sided one to hang like all the others. Said he called the school to get one and no one ever got back to him. In case any of you are so inclined, maybe hook this place up with one.

Comment

• Thanks Scarlet..

Well, our pr sucks.. including 'our' ..PR.. :-)
      NU, can we pls get something down there.. I know we have hard time getting Olympic banners in on time @ Matthews during the Winter gms but let's try on this one again..
      GO NU HOCKEY
      Always bullish on the future.
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

NEHR ‏@NEHockeyReport 2h
        Northeastern loses a top recruit in 98 F Shaun Bily to the OHL's Erie Otters. Was held to 20 games last year due to a leg injury.
        The Artist formally known as Steve66

Comment

Originally posted by retsap71 View Post
          NEHR ‏@NEHockeyReport 2h
          Northeastern loses a top recruit in 98 F Shaun Bily to the OHL's Erie Otters. Was held to 20 games last year due to a leg injury.
          Writing has been on the wall for a while. To be honest I never really expected him to show up.
          "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

From what I've been given to understand, this is hardly a surprise. So move along everyone....nothing to see here.
            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

This is just another example of why the recruiting process has to change. Too many worthless commitments.

Comment

Speaking of far future commits and whether they'll ever make it to NU, what's the consensus on Primeau?

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
                  Speaking of far future commits and whether they'll ever make it to NU, what's the consensus on Primeau?
                  He's a very good goalie. Hope for college hockey's sake he makes it on campus at NU. He was my #1 rated goalie at select 15.
                  https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                  Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by PPGuru View Post
                    This is just another example of why the recruiting process has to change. Too many worthless commitments.
                    Of course you are right. The problem is that as matters stand, the change has to be bi-lateral. The Canadian tier 1 junior leagues pressure kids like Bily to sign away their D1 college eligibility with promises of fame and fortune as well as college tuition (in Canada, where the costs are much lower - and only if they meet certain criteria in the junior career.)
                    Since they can speak with the kids as they reach puberty, the OHL, WHL and Q have distinct advantages over the colleges in the U.S. Since they will never change or even soften their position, it is really up to the NCAA to reconsider their position on allowing Junior A players to return to play in college if their Canadian experience does not yield what they had hoped. Don't hold your breath.

Comment

It's fun to have early commits but I try not to get too excited until they sign and are on their way. It does seem though however if things go our way the next two years recruiting classes look stacked.
                      These are good times to be a Husky Dawg!!!!

Comment

I'm anxious to see how Ryan Ruck develops this year in the USHL. The assumed successor to Witt and the predecessor to Primeau, he will be a key part of the team for the next few seasons, coming in with and leading these next few anticipated classes.
                        "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

'98 D Darren Rizzolo has committed. 7th rounder in the WHL draft.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=247472

Looks like another puck moving defenseman
                          "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Is it the system we run or is the players that allow other teams to rip off so many shots on net? I do notice that many of the shots are not threats but we always seem to give up too many for comfort. Thoughts?
                            These are good times to be a Husky Dawg!!!!

Comment

It's a little bit of both. Obviously, nobody is going out and striving to create a system where the team gets outshot every night. But it's a result of the strategy that makes the best use of our players and the skills they have and don't have (defensemen who don't skate particularly well and good goaltending.) Our defensemen aren't going to be able to fly around the lower part of the zone and break up a ton of chances without a shot, they stay at home and make sure the puck and player can't come together in big threat areas. A lot of shots were lower quality because the middle of the zone was off-limits for the initial shot and Clay didn't let the shot rebound back to the middle, plus made quite a few desperation diving stops on the times it did. Probably a few more than he rightfully deserved to save to be honest. You can pull off a few fluke wins while getting outshot, but it happened too consistently to be luck based imo. I haven't looked at whether shooting percentage against tends to regress towards the mean in college hockey, but I know I've read that shooting percentage is actually somewhat consistent and doesn't regress as much as you'd expect in the NHL. Bigger differences in player quality between teams and such.
                              Last edited by TheRevengeance; 08-08-2014, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
                                You can pull off a few fluke wins while getting outshot, but it happened too consistently to be luck based imo.
                                I don't think one 37 game season is nearly the sample size needed to make that statement.

Comment

Working...
                                X