Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All Things Denver XXXVIII: On To Better Days!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXXVIII: On To Better Days!

I'm no Swami, but here's a fan's eye view of "By the Numbers"

By sheer number the Sophomores are the heavyweights--66% of the goaltenders and 37% of the skaters.

Goalies:
    Evan Cowley Wearing the heavy mantle of heir apparent. Benefitted from work at WJC Eval and Nat'l Goalie Camps
    Greg Ogard 1 shot-1 save--0.00 GAA expect the same. Hollenbeck Scholar with 4.0.

Defense::
    Will Butcher--Big year for Butch. At WJC Eval camp you could see he had really stepped up his game.
    Nick Neville and Matt VanVoorhis--Two slots open on blue line--4 skaters--Put on your COMPETE HATS, boys

Forwards::
    Trevor Moore As a true freshman led the team in scoring.14-18-32. Hope he plays with a chip on his shoulder to show USA Hockey he should have been invited to the WJC Eval Camp.We could see 40+ points this year

Not to downplay the positives (because we did see flashes of brilliance) but, also saw typical freshman mistakes. They are older and wiser now.
    Emil Romig Has great speed--He's a shooter--Predict breakout year--more than doubles goal production-- 25+ points
    Matt Marcinew Has skills, can score. If on a scoring line, watch out!
    Evan Janssen will need to step up the point production to keep ice time.
    Evan Ritt came in mid-season, had limited ice time. COMPETE HAT time.

And all 10 are in the record book for winning the first NCHC Tournament Championship.
    Last edited by vizoroo; 09-29-2014, 05:09 PM.
    GO DU !!!

Comment

DU #18 in USCHO Preseason Poll

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/icehockey-men/d1/uschocom
      DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
        Last year we had no idea what to expect from the Pios and I'm not sure we know too much more this year.
        Yeah, I don't know where to put them, they had a pretty solid core of players, but they lose a great goalie.
        Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
        Eric's Twitter
        The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
          And #15 in USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine Poll

http://www.usahockey.com/college

Sam was sent to San Antonio's camp yesterday by Panthers.

http://panthers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=732138
          Last edited by du78; 09-29-2014, 03:08 PM.

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

Remember to vote for Denver in the quarterfinal, fans must use the #Denver61 in tweets between 10 a.m. and 7 p.m. MT on Monday, Sept. 29.
            GO DU !!!

Comment

I think DU's ranking will make a dramatic move after the Halloween series; and hopefully for the better. As for the Freshman outlook - right now I'm most intrigued with Brad. Unlike any other player on the team right now, he observed the Monty-Carle maiden voyage from a unique perspective. He should have a good handle on their system.
              I want to be a fan of the best team in college hockey - so that explains why I am a DENVER fan!

Comment

Days Until

DU's

Next Game

Josiah Didier
                Senior Defense
                Alternate Captain
                GO DU !!!

Comment

I'm no Swami, but here's a fan's eye view of "Good things come in small packages."

With only 4 skaters the Juniors are the smallest class, but they may bring the most class and pedigree. Each member of this class has been an All Star, all league, won team honors, won a gold medal and/or won a league championship(s).
                  And all 4 are in the record book for winning the first NCHC Tournament Championship.

Grant Arnold received Most Inspirational Player Award last season. Selected Team Captain as a Junior- and that's impressiv!e. Have you noticed a number of well known hockey players also played in the Little League World Series--Twice for Grant! Mash Line.
                  Gabe Levin wears the "California #9" of Gauthier and Rakhshani. May only be 5' 7", but this small package came on big time last year more than doubling his points--won Most Improved Player. You know he's smart--had only 1 penalty last season, made the Dean's List and honored by NCHC as 1st Team Scholar Athlete.
                  Quentin Shore is the third brother to be # 1 Center for the Pios--it's a Shore thing! .International experience U17, U18 and WJC. Colorado Thunderbird pipeline. Drafted by Ottawa. Strong 2 way player. How many players are recognized just by one initial--"Q" is. Foresee a big year for Moore-Shore combo.
                  Nolan Zajac has 3 brothers who played elsewhere, but was smart enough to follow his Dad, Tom, to DU. Have to say the most complete defenseman on the team. Had the versatility and offensive skills to play forward when needed. NCHC All Tournament Team.

(Garrett Allen is not on the roster this year--we wish him the best in his academic and athletic pursuits.)
                  Last edited by vizoroo; 09-30-2014, 02:59 PM.
                  GO DU !!!

Comment

Donovan and Mayfield in Isles lineup in Boston tonight. Game is on NHL Network right now.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                      Donovan and Mayfield in Isles lineup in Boston tonight. Game is on NHL Network right now.
                      David Makowski assigned to Hamilton by the Habs.

BTW Mayfield scored an empty net shorty for the Isles to give them a 2 goal margin in the last 71 secs of the game.
                      GO DU !!!

Comment

Days Until

DU's

Next Game

Tariq Hammond
                        Freshman Defense
                        GO DU !!!

Comment

I'm no Swami, but here's a fan's eye view of--"The Senior Seven"

Monty would never be mistaken for Snow White and this Senior Class will NOT be mistaken for the 7 Dwarfs averaging almost 6' 1" and over 200 pounds. The Seven* began their careers at DU in the fall of 2011 and four years later, still together, the journey to the Frozen Four and a NCAA Championship is the goal. Wouldn't that be Magnificent for the Senior Seven!

Ty Loney played in all 42 games last year and made his presence felt. Certainly at the NCHC Tourney earning a spot on the All Tournament Team,. When he's on a hot streak, pucks will be flying toward the net. Just 27 more points=the Century Club.#DUit! ( And he has the blondest hair and rosiest cheeks of all.)
                          Daniel Doremus, an Aspen native, was both versatile and another Iron Man for the Pioneers last year. But his play was golden at the NCHC tourney, named to the All Tournament team and selected as the Tournament MVP. Danny Boy ( who's a cutie) will be wearing an "A" on his chest.
                          Matt Tabrum is from Colorado Springs, but knew enough to head north to Denver to play hockey. And play he did--in all 42 games last year. As a team player he gave up some scoring opportunities to became the centerpiece of the Mash Line.
                          Larkin Jacobson only played in 30 games but he found his role on the Mash Line and Pios' opponents "felt" his presence on the ice. Three time Team Scholar Athlete with a perfect 4.0, Hollenbeck Scholar.
                          Josiah Didier is a Defenseman with Capitol D, but instead will wear an "A" on his jersey. He never shies away from a hit. He blocks shots. Hard to imagine how many bruises he accumulates in a season. Drafted by the Montreal Canadiens. He scored more goals (4) in one game at the Habs prospect camp than he has in 3 years at DU. (Rumor has it he could be called Josiah "The Body" Didier.)
                          Zac Larraza, called Viva by posters, grew up in the hockey hotbed of Arizona and was drafted by the hometown Coyotes. Scored the winning, his first, goal in the 2nd OT in the WCHA Final Five semifinals. Broke his collarbone and missed 8 games last year. Will need him to stay healthy and score more clutch goals.
                          Joey LaLeggia called Leggs by many, but perhaps we should call him "All" as in All Conference Rookie Team. National All Rookie Team. All Conference(WCHA) x 2, All Conference Team (NCHC), All Tournament Team and the big one, All American. He'll even be wearing an "A" on his sweater. With 92 career points there's no doubt he'll be on the offense. Drafted by Edmonton.

*The missing link--Scott Mayfield took his l-o-n-g, lean body to Long Island after his sophomore year.
                          DU Career stats-- 7-22-29 188 PIM. 7 NHL games so far,.
                          Last edited by vizoroo; 10-01-2014, 01:17 PM.
                          GO DU !!!

Comment

• Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                            David Makowski assigned to Hamilton by the Habs.

BTW Mayfield scored an empty net shorty for the Isles to give them a 2 goal margin in the last 71 secs of the game.
                            It was a 180 footer and it would have been icing had he missed it. He hit it dead on.

Comment

Nice... ironic you quote about Makowski .... I remember David's 180 footer with the goalie in the net.....Michigan Tech I believe
                              I want to be a fan of the best team in college hockey - so that explains why I am a DENVER fan!

Comment

Holy Crap! It's almost that time of year innit?

Comment

Working...
                                X