PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks Offseason Thread: Yearning for More

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

MavHockey14
04-07-2014, 11:28 AM
Well, back to back trips to the national tournament, but this team needs to take the next step and win it's first NCAA tournament game in school history.

A big thank you to this years four seniors, Zach Lehrke, Johnny McInnis, Josh Nelson, and Evan Karambelas. With that said, this team returns a ton of talent, 5 of its top 6 forwards, and all the defenseman who played down the stretch.

Palmquist announced he is staying for his senior season.

I have heard that two guys will be leaving the program; Mat Knoll and Taylor Herndon. No big suprises here, but if there was one, it would be Herndon. While I thought we'd have two goaltender commits, it looks like we only bring one in now, and now I expect Williams to stay.

Incoming recruits for the 2014-2015 season:

D Alec Vanko Chicago Steel (USHL)

F Josh French Hill-Murray HS (MN)

F Brad McClure Penticton Vees (BCHL)

F Max Coatta Penticton Vees (BCHL)

G Jason Pawloski Indiana Ice (USHL)

F CJ Franklin Sioux Falls Stampede (USHL)

D Eli May Austin Bruins (NAHL)

F Ryan Schwalbe Salmon Arm (BCHL)

D Hunter Warner Fargo Force (USHL)

F Luco Frigo Omaha Lancers (USHL)

Watch for McClure to come in and contribute right away; he's absolutely tearing up the BCHL. Franklin should have a chance to have an immediate impact as well.

Bale
04-07-2014, 01:16 PM
Too bad about Knoll although I can't blame him. It's always tough when injuries play a part in kids' careers.

purpleinnebraska
04-07-2014, 05:16 PM
Got a chance to see Franklin several times this year, and was very favorably impressed. Good in all facets of the game. Is Knutson also coming over next year from Sioux Falls? I thought his game was more one dimensional, more of a sniper, but there's some talent there.

Chris Clark Fan Club
04-07-2014, 10:10 PM
It was a tough end to a fantastic season! They played amazing and just got beat by a good if not a great college goalie and a sound team!

They closed the season with a fantastic run and really needed to do that! The 4 seniors mentioned will be missed, even though Evan didn't play much he was a great guy!

Hopefully they can build off this and be exactly where Ferris was this year, a 2 seed or better in a more favorable region(geographically).

MavHockey14
04-08-2014, 01:39 AM
Got a chance to see Franklin several times this year, and was very favorably impressed. Good in all facets of the game. Is Knutson also coming over next year from Sioux Falls? I thought his game was more one dimensional, more of a sniper, but there's some talent there.

Knutson will be coming in, but that's going to be a tough lineup for him to crack regularly.

Tough break for Knoll, and he's got plenty of competition oming in next year, so hopefully he can find a home elsewhere playing more regularly.

MavHockey14
04-08-2014, 10:51 AM
Thanks to Shirtless for putting this in the WCHA thread..

Hunter Warner is the 206th ranked player for this gear's NHL draft; about a sixth round pick.

Shootin Muffins
04-08-2014, 01:06 PM
Hopefully this time next year we are talking about the Black and Purple that invaded Fargo, ND and rolling right on through to Boston!!

SCSU BlackandRed
04-10-2014, 12:57 PM
Just wanted to say great season to the Maverick faithful. Watched you in the standing all year and was pulling for you to win the nWCHA crown. Close to that and you did get the tourney championship, so again, excellent on that.

I know we still get to play you in the NSC tourney but would love to see a regular matchup every year with you guys. I'd say come on over to the NCHC but the league is tough enough already.

MavHockey14
04-12-2014, 01:41 AM
Blais was extended through 2018. Hastings is here til then. Good news.

MavHockey14
04-14-2014, 06:31 PM
CHN's Joe Meloni has the Mavericks at #7 in his "way too early" top 10 for next season.

purpleinnebraska
04-14-2014, 10:43 PM
CHN's Joe Meloni has the Mavericks at #7 in his "way too early" top 10 for next season.

The good news about being ranked way too early is that we probably won't drop any lower for months.

MavHockey14
04-15-2014, 08:12 AM
I'm hearing that UNO and MSU will be playing a series in Omaha to start next year.

It's already public that the Mavericks travel to Duluth next October as well.

MavHockey14
04-21-2014, 11:16 AM
Has anyone else received a phone call from a player thanking them about holding season tickets? Hastings just gets it. Having the players call various season ticket holders to show appreciation is absolutely awesome.

crossjcek
04-21-2014, 08:55 PM
Has anyone else received a phone call from a player thanking them about holding season tickets? Hastings just gets it. Having the players call various season ticket holders to show appreciation is absolutely awesome.

That IS a classy move!

MavsFan
04-21-2014, 11:53 PM
Has anyone else received a phone call from a player thanking them about holding season tickets? Hastings just gets it. Having the players call various season ticket holders to show appreciation is absolutely awesome.Yep, there was a call from Leitner on my voice mail when I got home tonight.

MavHockey14
04-22-2014, 09:46 AM
It's an a absolutely awesome move, and something this program needs; a coach, and team engaged in the community.

MavHockey14
04-22-2014, 09:47 PM
Mike Hastings is being inducted into the Minnesota Crookston Hall of Fame. Pretty awesome. Congrats, Mike.

MavHockey14
05-07-2014, 07:40 PM
@kclarksieben: Mankato City Manager, Pat Hentges, vowed to shave his head, if bonding bill passes and civic center is funded. Hope to see a bald Pat soon!

MavHockey14
05-09-2014, 11:32 AM
Press Release I received from msu mavericks.com..

Mavericks Announce Award Recipients for 2013-14

May. 09, 2014 Men's Hockey
Mankato, Minn. --- The Minnesota State men's hockey team has named the recipients of its team awards for the 2013-14 season.

The award winners are listed below.

Don Brose Leadership Award & Three-Star of the Year Award - Johnny McInnis (Sr., Forward, Boston, Mass.) - Served as team captain in 2013-14...Had 43-36--79 in 131 games during course of four-year MSU career to tie for 25th on school's career scoring list for the DI era...14 career game-winning goals ranks second on MSU's all-time list...Ranked third on team scoring charts with 21-17--38...Had 6-7--12 in MSU's final 12 games of 2013-14 season...Overtime goal gave Mavericks a 1-0 win over Bowling Green Nov. 9... Named 2013-14 All-WCHA Third Team...Racked up ten power play goals as a senior and finished with 16 career PPGs...Named WCHA Offensive Player of the Week following MSU's home sweep over #2 Ferris State Jan. 17-18 (3 Gs, 1 A, 4 Pts, 16 SOG, +2 in two wins).

Best Hustle Award (Hardest Worker) - Bryce Gervais (So., Forward, Battleford, Sask.) Had 16-10--26 in 41 games in 2013-14 to tie for fifth on team's scoring charts... Named to 2013-14 WCHA Final Five All-Tournament Team after tallying a goal and two assists for three points in two Maverick wins, ranked second on team in plus/minus at +11...Tallied game-winning goal in Minnesota State's 4-3 overtime victory at Bowling Green Nov. 23...Scored twice, assisted on another, had career-high 11 shots on goal and was +1 in MSU's 5-4 overtime win over Northern Michigan in WCHA play-offs (Mar. 15)...Had goal and two assists and was +3 in WCHA semi-final win over Bowling Green (Mar. 21)...Mavericks were 14-3-1 when recorded a point...Named 2013-14 WCHA All-Academic.

Most Improved Player Award - Sean Flanagan (Fr., Defense, Kindersley, Sask.) Selected to 2013-14 WCHA All-Rookie Team...Had 3-6--9 in last 16 games of season and finished year tied for third on team at +10... Scored six goals which tied for third in the nation amongst all rookie defensemen...Three game-winners led all first-year blue liners in the nation... Had 6-9--15 on season, played in 33 games for MSU...Ranked second on team with three game-winning goals... Garnered WCHA Rookie of the Week recognition following Minnesota State's home sweep over Bemidji State (Feb. 7-8).

Unsung Hero Award - Zach Lehrke (Jr., Forward, Park Rapids, Minn.) - Finished 2013-14 with 8-20--28 in 31 games played... Named All-WCHA Third Team as a senior,...31-51--82 career totals in 135 games during course of four years with Mavericks stands tied for 19th on school's DI scoring list... Ranked fourth on team with 14 power play points and 14 power play assists ranked second on club...2013-14 WCHA All-Academic honoree.

Most Valuable Player - Cole Huggins (Fr., Goaltender, Centennial, Colo.) Backstopped Mavericks to Broadmoor Trophy championship at 2014 Final Five and was named tournament's Most Outstanding Player...Finished year with a 21-8-1 won-loss record, 1.88 goals against average and a .926 save percentage in inaugural campaign with Minnesota State... Picked up WCHA Goaltending Champion honors after leading the league in goals against average, and was also was named All-WCHA Second Team and was a member of 2013-14 WCHA All-Rookie Team... Was named to the 2013-14 CHN All-Rookie Team, set school records for season goals against average (1.88), save percentage (.926) and shut-outs (6) as a rookie and was named WCHA Defensive Player of the Week after a road sweep at Lake Superior State (Feb. 28-March 1) and WCHA Rookie of the Week after stopping all nine shots faced in a period and half of relief work in a 4-3 loss to Bowling Green and followed that with first career shut-out in 1-0 overtime win over Bowling Green Nov. 8-9)... Went 11-1-1 with a 1.27 goals against average and a .949 sv% in last 13 games played to finish season in helping to lead Mavericks to its second consecutive appearance in the NCAA postseason tournament.

Minnesota State went 26-14-1 in 2013-14, won the Broadmoor Trophy as Western Collegiate Hockey Association Final Five play-off champions and earned a berth in the NCAA postseason tournament.

purpleinnebraska
05-09-2014, 02:03 PM
Well earned all around on the awards. There were several times this year it could have fallen apart, but McInnis and Lehrke didn't let that happen. As for Gervais, I thought he was our best player for the last 6-8 weeks, and the best PK guy I saw on any team all year. Kudos to the freshmen as well. Can't wait for next season to start!