Vermont 2014 Offseason : Another Step Forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vermont 2014 Offseason : Another Step Forward

So the end of the season has come... which means we get to start anew.

Here's my proposal on line combinations :

Forwards :

Bradley - Fallon - Pusckarich
    Forgionne - Turk - Markinson
    Shaw - Gernhofer - Reynolds
    Privitera - Egle/Stenerson - Petruzzili

Defensemen:

Hamilton - Paliotta
    Luukko - Philips
    Pattyn - Privitera
    Senkbeil - Ferguson

Goaltenders :

Hoffman 1A
    Santaguida 1B
    Feeley

Overall it seems that we still have some returning offense, but we are going to be very young upfront overall. Although Lenz, Brickley, etc didn't necessarily contribute a lot offensively they were experienced. I think the incoming class is perhaps a small upgrade over the outgoing at least from an offensive production stand point, but there are going to be some mistakes too, especially early in the season. I'm think offensively we are kind of net zero...

It would seem to me that we have an over load of defensemen as that list doesn't even include Walls or Muscoby...

Also of Note Brickley and Bruneteau have signed with professional teams. Brickley has played 1 game and registered an assist with the Panthers AHL team. Bruneteau signed with an ECHL team.
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Re: Vermont 2014 Offseason : Another Step Forward

I tend to agree with your projections overall although I hope there is a bit of offensive upside through depth with the add back of Reynolds and some development from the others. I think Reynolds and Fallon might end up together. I'm hopeful that we can be less reliant on Hamilton on D unless he cleans up the fancy plays that result in turnovers and other defensive liabilities. If the Hoffman that showed up at the end of the RS and the QF's shows up the Cats will be a formidable team.

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
      I tend to agree with your projections overall although I hope there is a bit of offensive upside through depth with the add back of Reynolds and some development from the others. I think Reynolds and Fallon might end up together. I'm hopeful that we can be less reliant on Hamilton on D unless he cleans up the fancy plays that result in turnovers and other defensive liabilities. If the Hoffman that showed up at the end of the RS and the QF's shows up the Cats will be a formidable team.
      It is certainly possible that Fallon and Reynolds end up on the same line, and that would be fine with me. My biggest fear is that we end up with a Puskarich - Fallon - Reynolds line. I think you could put Bradley and Shaw on a line and it would be a good second line, but to me both Puskarich and Reynolds are the two best snipers coming back and I would prefer to see them spread out, creating two very good lines instead of one "great" line. Also, Bradley and Puskarich have had a chance to play together and develop some chemistry which ultimately is the biggest thing.

I do think we have more depth at the forward position and that we will have more then one line that can be a threat. I don't think you will see the top line be quite so dominant though.

Defensively it appears we have way too many players. This should provide some more depth at that position and considering that we were playing a lot of the time 5 D-men its clear the coaching staff is lacking some confidence in some of the guys we currently have on the team. That said, Hamilton played huge minutes, and he was prone to giving up bad turnovers. I think he will improve defensively. Either way I don't see his time on ice being reduced much going forward.

I expect to still see a battle out of the goaltenders. Hoffman definitely took a step forward towards the end of the season this year, but I suspect you are going to see an improved Santa next year as well. That said, Hoffman played well and looks to be the 1A go to guy, but I hope he gets a bit more work in and improves more. His movement post to post is still not where it needs to be to become "elite." That first Union goal was a prime example.

Comment

I'm expecting Alexx Privitera to help us quite a bit. I think, to some extent, he's flown under the radar a bit on this board. Keep in mind that this kid was on the Hockey East all rookie team when he started up at BU. He played two years there, then got another couple of years in the USHL where he has been a top flight offensive defencemen. It is hard to imagine getting a more skilled and experienced player to slot into your lineup...I'm expecting him to be our best offensive d-man. And from what I've seen in the past when he was at BU and what I've read, he is exactly the type of powerplay quarterback that we need to pick up our PP. All this stated understanding the issues that came up in the past, but if he keeps his head on straight I think he's a difference maker.

Comment

I think Privitera helps mitigate the loss of Bruneteau. Keeping in mind Bruneteaus 16pts and +13 he has been running the PP for 4 years, he is probably the second biggest loss on the team. For BU Privitera had seasons of 16pts +8 and 14pts, E and both of those teams were good teams with 20+ win seasons.

Time will tell if moving the USHL has helped or hurt him. I don't think he has flown under the radar so much as think he is seen as a good pick up that will replace a leaving player but not add significantly.

I think overall the D will be improved as the depth just isn't there this year, and having more players on the bench that can dress and compete for spots will help, it certainly did with the offense this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Catamount93 View Post
            I'm expecting Alexx Privitera to help us quite a bit. I think, to some extent, he's flown under the radar a bit on this board. Keep in mind that this kid was on the Hockey East all rookie team when he started up at BU. He played two years there, then got another couple of years in the USHL where he has been a top flight offensive defencemen. It is hard to imagine getting a more skilled and experienced player to slot into your lineup...I'm expecting him to be our best offensive d-man. And from what I've seen in the past when he was at BU and what I've read, he is exactly the type of powerplay quarterback that we need to pick up our PP. All this stated understanding the issues that came up in the past, but if he keeps his head on straight I think he's a difference maker.
            I agree. He could make a huge difference. Hopefully he has matured.

Comment

Originally posted by catmandoo View Post
              I agree. He could make a huge difference. Hopefully he has matured.
              I just read up on Alexx Privitera's "on-ice" problems (see link below). While I agree his offensive play could/should help, I'm really worried that his "other play" might hurt us more. Sounds like the kid just didn't get it and was given every chance. I can't imagine Sneddon is going to put up with similar "play" from him (and he shouldn't). This year, with the Fighting Saints, in 56 games he has 94 penalty minutes (most on the team - just outside the top 25 of the USHL). I'd rather the team struggle and do it the right way, than to be more succesful and play the way he plays/played. CHARACTER COUNTS!

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, everyone deserves second chances, but hope Sneddon has him on a short leash. As Catmandoo said, hopefully he has matured.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/hock...for-the-season

Comment

Originally posted by UVM - Bruin View Post
                I just read up on Alexx Privitera's "on-ice" problems (see link below). While I agree his offensive play could/should help, I'm really worried that his "other play" might hurt us more. Sounds like the kid just didn't get it and was given every chance. I can't imagine Sneddon is going to put up with similar "play" from him (and he shouldn't). This year, with the Fighting Saints, in 56 games he has 94 penalty minutes (most on the team - just outside the top 25 of the USHL). I'd rather the team struggle and do it the right way, than to be more succesful and play the way he plays/played. CHARACTER COUNTS!

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, everyone deserves second chances, but hope Sneddon has him on a short leash. As Catmandoo said, hopefully he has matured.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/hock...for-the-season
                I suspect that is exactly what will happen, Sneddon will sit him down (probably already has) and say look, you need to play aggressive but taking penalties is not going to be accepted here. Its clear Sneddon doesn't tolerate a lot of penalties, look no further then Walls. Walls is a decent defense first d-man, but he doesn't see a lot of ice time because he can't stay out of the box.

Now, that said... HE officials are a huge problem. They call a penalty whenever there is a big hit, and that does not help the teams or the players, especially those that will go onto professional careers. I'm sorry but the refs just aren't getting it done, and I am putting that blame squarely on Bertanga, who suspends a coach whenever they actually say something about it. Its the way he wants it and you keep your mouth shut if you want to coach in the league...

I wished they would start paying attention to the actual hit when handing out penalties and adopt the ideal that if they didn't see don't call it, the league can always catch it on review after the fact if it's severe.

Comment

My biggest comment on next year's freshmen class.. is that they are not very big. Looks like Furgeson may be biggest body at 6' 180#. Losing McCarthy, Brickley & White (regardless of whatever you think of the skill level of the latter 2) leaves just Shaw and Bradley as bigger bodies and may change the hard hitting reputation of the team. Whether Paliotta comes back or not is huge too, as he is a big part of UVM's physical style on the blueline and would leave only Walls & Pattyn as bigger d-men. I like the looks of the skill level and skating ability of the frosh d-men coming in and, as Union showed, having speed and puck skills can work, but also think you need some big boys who can go to war with the UMLs & Proviced's in HE. My guess is next year could be a transition year and could be ugly at times, but hopefully the team has enough success to be a factor by the end of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by VTinNY View Post
                    My biggest comment on next year's freshmen class.. is that they are not very big. Looks like Furgeson may be biggest body at 6' 180#. Losing McCarthy, Brickley & White (regardless of whatever you think of the skill level of the latter 2) leaves just Shaw and Bradley as bigger bodies and may change the hard hitting reputation of the team. Whether Paliotta comes back or not is huge too, as he is a big part of UVM's physical style on the blueline and would leave only Walls & Pattyn as bigger d-men. I like the looks of the skill level and skating ability of the frosh d-men coming in and, as Union showed, having speed and puck skills can work, but also think you need some big boys who can go to war with the UMLs & Proviced's in HE. My guess is next year could be a transition year and could be ugly at times, but hopefully the team has enough success to be a factor by the end of the season.
                    Egle is 5'10 and 210lbs ... That's a strong stocky forward right there. I haven't seen him play and his USHL stats are pretty lousy, but he had 48pts in 40 games for the Portland Pirates (EJHL) the year before. To compare the other Latvian we recruited (who we won't name) had 28pts in 23 games in the EJHL. I think he comes in and has some success... he has to be hard to move off the puck...or from in front of the net.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                      Egle is 5'10 and 210lbs ... That's a strong stocky forward right there. I haven't seen him play and his USHL stats are pretty lousy, but he had 48pts in 40 games for the Portland Pirates (EJHL) the year before. To compare the other Latvian we recruited (who we won't name) had 28pts in 23 games in the EJHL. I think he comes in and has some success... he has to be hard to move off the puck...or from in front of the net.
                      Where do you get the 210lbs from? On the Muskegon site he is listed at 187#. But I do get your point that he does project as a banger of sorts, though I wonder about skating ability with these "stocky" players. Gernhofer is listed at 195# and from video I've seen he is not the swiftest skater, though otherwise has a pretty good skill set. Overall I don't see a real high impact forward in the recruits, though Darrar, little Privitera, and maybe Petruzzelli could develop into something. Still, the forwards should be decent with Fallon, Bradley, Pusky, Reynolds, Shaw and Forgione could have a 2 real good lines, and Markinson & Turk with a couple of the frosh could round things out nicely. Would like to see Mario get a little quicker and Shaw start to figure things out, as his upside is big.

Comment

Originally posted by VTinNY View Post
                        Where do you get the 210lbs from? On the Muskegon site he is listed at 187#. But I do get your point that he does project as a banger of sorts, though I wonder about skating ability with these "stocky" players. Gernhofer is listed at 195# and from video I've seen he is not the swiftest skater, though otherwise has a pretty good skill set. Overall I don't see a real high impact forward in the recruits, though Darrar, little Privitera, and maybe Petruzzelli could develop into something. Still, the forwards should be decent with Fallon, Bradley, Pusky, Reynolds, Shaw and Forgione could have a 2 real good lines, and Markinson & Turk with a couple of the frosh could round things out nicely. Would like to see Mario get a little quicker and Shaw start to figure things out, as his upside is big.
                        The 210lbs was from hockeydb.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post

Now, that said... HE officials are a huge problem. They call a penalty whenever there is a big hit, and that does not help the teams or the players, especially those that will go onto professional careers. I'm sorry but the refs just aren't getting it done, and I am putting that blame squarely on Bertanga, who suspends a coach whenever they actually say something about it. Its the way he wants it and you keep your mouth shut if you want to coach in the league...

I wished they would start paying attention to the actual hit when handing out penalties and adopt the ideal that if they didn't see don't call it, the league can always catch it on review after the fact if it's severe.
                          Brickley was one who got killed by this. His early season penalties were bad but he got better with the hits as the season went on. Still got penalized but many weren't penalties. He is built for a pro game. I think he will be able to do better in that type of game.

Comment

Ted Ryan's article this morning in the BFP has a slightly different list of recruits coming in for next year:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...medium=twitter

Looks like Egle will be arriving in 2015, and Kevin Irwin is coming in this fall.

Also, here is a tweet from a writer at the Connecticut post:

"Michael Fornabaio ‏@fornabaioctp · Mar 28
                            Westport's Paliotta says he plans to return to UVM for his senior year. "I feel I've got some unfinished business."

Hope he doesn't change his mind!

Comment

Originally posted by VermontFan View Post
                              Ted Ryan's article this morning in the BFP has a slightly different list of recruits coming in for next year:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...medium=twitter

Looks like Egle will be arriving in 2015, and Kevin Irwin is coming in this fall.

Also, here is a tweet from a writer at the Connecticut post:

"Michael Fornabaio ‏@fornabaioctp · Mar 28
                              Westport's Paliotta says he plans to return to UVM for his senior year. "I feel I've got some unfinished business."

Hope he doesn't change his mind!
                              Overall, the Defense looks to me much more offensive minded, I think they will be able to contribute much more on the offensive end of the ice. So as long as they can have some defensive skill as well all of these guys should really improve the team overall.

Offensively it looks like there maybe one or two guys that can step right in and be real points guy, but overall I think their biggest help to the team is simply going to be in depth. They all have good to very good numbers, and should add a little more punch to each line.

Comment

Working...
                              X