Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vermont 2014 Offseason : Another Step Forward

Originally posted by catmandoo View Post
    I would completely agree with you on your comments that the program has been elevated in stature since Sneddon got here. Alot of that has to do with being a member of HE and alot of that has to do with his benefiting from some recruiting prior to his arrival with the class of 2011 and Victor Stallberg.
    Have to say I am a bit confused by this remark? Sneddon came in 2003? Everyone in the class of 2011 was recruited by Sneddon?
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

All very valid points on the coaching style. Brickley and Fallon are good examples also of players who were loved one season then forgotten the next. These players are supposed to be developing into future pros instead they are forced to change their style whether by Sneddon or by the assistants, regardless, if they are to reach the next level then their styles for which they were recruited need to be developed not suppressed. Very few players walk off a college team onto an NHL team, and fewer will do it after being held back or changed into someone elses version of a pro. If the NHL wanted these coaches to determine players abilities I am sure they would be coaching there.
      Originally posted by catmandoo View Post
      I would completely agree with you on your comments that the program has been elevated in stature since Sneddon got here. Alot of that has to do with being a member of HE and alot of that has to do with his benefiting from some recruiting prior to his arrival with the class of 2011 and Victor Stallberg. The reality is that he has cycled thru players since like nobody's business and weather anyone on here wants to admit it or not that is a sign of a poor coach. People come on here and try and blame it on his prior assistants recruiting or other reasons...bla, bla, bla. The buck stops with Sneddon and I'm not sure why everyone wants to give him such an easy out. We pay him alot to do this. I know for a fact there was a period of time where many of the recruits he was bringing in he had never seen play. Excess turnover is never good in any business. Everyone here wants to cast it off as "bad apples" or "recruiting mistakes", but that is just not applicable in most of these situations. Do your really think Sneddon is going to spin it as "player x left because I did a terrible job coaching him"? Blaming it on recruiting mistake like he has is basically him admitting he is not that good at what he is hired to do. As a cold reminder, Milo helped us get to the Frozen Four and trust me we all loved him at the time. Establishing a freshman class and sticking with them thru the 4 years of development is what you hire a good P.Scoach to do, I think other coaches do that way better than Sneddon and the proof is in the pudding. Brickley is a second round pick and had to play thru his senior year before getting signed to a "trial" contract. He was a prolific player compared to his peers in the USHL thus the second round pick and dramatically underperformed here compared to all of our expectation when he came in. Paliotta may be a recent brite spot but I would argue that he would have signed this year had he had better development. Obviously our gain though and I am happy for that.

Successful year? Yes we did and thank god for McCarthy sticking it out after a tough road of injuries. Beyond Paliotta and the Puskarich surprise, I feel I can name more players that plateaued in development this year than made encouraging steps forward. Go back and check everyone's comments on Walls and Patyn from last year and ask yourself if your opinion of them changed this year. Again I am trying to keep things in perspective.

I think alot of your feedback on me being negative is probably correct and I will try and minimize it going forward because of my love for the program but I think most of everything I have ever said has been objective or well thought out. Sorry if I have offended anyone not my intentions at all but its not a bad thing to hear the other side either.

P.S. Cant really have a great year without a good powerplay...right Peter?

Comment

Originally posted by coots View Post
        All very valid points on the coaching style. Brickley and Fallon are good examples also of players who were loved one season then forgotten the next. These players are supposed to be developing into future pros instead they are forced to change their style whether by Sneddon or by the assistants, regardless, if they are to reach the next level then their styles for which they were recruited need to be developed not suppressed. Very few players walk off a college team onto an NHL team, and fewer will do it after being held back or changed into someone elses version of a pro. If the NHL wanted these coaches to determine players abilities I am sure they would be coaching there.
        The negativity amazes me. Mccarthy stayed. Do you think it was because he did not like the coach? Palliotta is going to stay. Puskarich is an incredible sniper. Uvm stunk before sneddon showed up. We now have 3 tourney bids in 6 years. I do think the rink and micheletto held them back. They are on a nice trend up. Couple players left, happens to every program.
        Dont claim to be a fan of the program and go bashing its leadership. Im sure they have room for u on the maine thread.

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
          Couple players left, happens to every program.
          Dont claim to be a fan of the program and go bashing its leadership. Im sure they have room for u on the maine thread.
          Maine is certainly on the upward trend, And Maine certainly has more of a history than Maple Syrup U over the past 20 years +?

Comment

Originally posted by NCAAfan500 View Post
            Maine is certainly on the upward trend, And Maine certainly has more of a history than Maple Syrup U over the past 20 years +?
            All true, but I think his point was that you guys are constantly complaining about the coach/administration. Your threads are 90% bellyaching about those things.

Comment

Originally posted by coots View Post
              Brickley and Fallon are good examples also of players who were loved one season then forgotten the next.
              Brickley was hindered by injuries and refs not letting him play physical, which was one of his key attributes when he was drafted and recruited.

Fallon had his best year yet, this year. I personally think it was a mistake to take him off the first line myself, but it's hard to argue with the results of that first line. Either way the kid has developed, as has McCarthy, as has Paliotta...

You can't say guys don't develop under Sneddon, while some don't some do. Not everyone is going to develop under his system, that maybe a recruiting issue but that appears to me to have been rectified. I agree very much with snwbrdr in that Michelleto did some damage to this program in recruiting and that takes a few seasons to work itself out.

I think the assistants have done a great job recruiting, this years class shows that. Also the PK was far and away better. The PP is still dreadful, but that's really the only glaring weakness I see. We took a big step forward and Sneddon has taken several big steps forward. Sure there was 3 steps back the last 3 seasons, but again I think a whole lot of that was the guys being brought in under Michelleto and Gasparini. Them moving to UMass may have been the best thing for the program.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                Brickley was hindered by injuries and refs not letting him play physical, which was one of his key attributes when he was drafted and recruited.

Fallon had his best year yet, this year. I personally think it was a mistake to take him off the first line myself, but it's hard to argue with the results of that first line. Either way the kid has developed, as has McCarthy, as has Paliotta...

You can't say guys don't develop under Sneddon, while some don't some do. Not everyone is going to develop under his system, that maybe a recruiting issue but that appears to me to have been rectified. I agree very much with snwbrdr in that Michelleto did some damage to this program in recruiting and that takes a few seasons to work itself out.

I think the assistants have done a great job recruiting, this years class shows that. Also the PK was far and away better. The PP is still dreadful, but that's really the only glaring weakness I see. We took a big step forward and Sneddon has taken several big steps forward. Sure there was 3 steps back the last 3 seasons, but again I think a whole lot of that was the guys being brought in under Michelleto and Gasparini. Them moving to UMass may have been the best thing for the program.
                Hey forget about all of this. What time do all the great Hockey East teams play today? Didn't see it on the schedule. ****ing dope!

Edit: Needed to spread rep around or I would have just put it on this turds rep. Not meant for the good and mentally stable Vermont and HE fans.
                Last edited by johnk; 04-12-2014, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                  All true, but I think his point was that you guys are constantly complaining about the coach/administration. Your threads are 90% bellyaching about those things.
                  Maine is complaining because they went from a great coach in Walsh to a Sneddonesk coach in Whitehead. I didn't see Maine fans complaining about Walsh and they seem happy so far with Red.

I will give Sneddon and his staff one more season to show their metal...

Comment

Originally posted by GreenCat View Post
                    Maine is complaining because they went from a great coach in Walsh to a Sneddonesk coach in Whitehead. I didn't see Maine fans complaining about Walsh and they seem happy so far with Red.

I will give Sneddon and his staff one more season to show their metal...
                    I think there have been some grumblings about Red among the fan base. And there's been A LOT of whining about the school administration.

Sneddon's got the team on the right track. As others have said, the recruiting sucked w/ the former assistants. Having them go to UMass was indeed a blessing in disguise.

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
                      Hey forget about all of this. What time do all the great Hockey East teams play today? Didn't see it on the schedule. ****ing dope!

Edit: Needed to spread rep around or I would have just put it on this turds rep. Not meant for the good and mentally stable Vermont and HE fans.
                      LMAO ... It's like you think your opinion actually matters. Too predictable you of all Union fans would be on here this morning. LOL... you make trolling too easy ... too easy.

Anyways ... lots of big departures for HE this year, it will be interesting to see how teams shake out over the summer. Lowell definitely takes at least one step back. BC takes a step back but they were so far ahead one step back still keeps them out in front. I think next year is going to be an interesting one...

Wish today's Calgary game was on TV, be interesting to see how Johnny Hockey's handles the NHL.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                        LMAO ... It's like you think your opinion actually matters. Too predictable you of all Union fans would be on here this morning. LOL... you make trolling too easy ... too easy.

Anyways ... lots of big departures for HE this year, it will be interesting to see how teams shake out over the summer. Lowell definitely takes at least one step back. BC takes a step back but they were so far ahead one step back still keeps them out in front. I think next year is going to be an interesting one...

Wish today's Calgary game was on TV, be interesting to see how Johnny Hockey's handles the NHL.
                        The post was from yesterday you moron! You are the official a $ s clown of your own schools thread. Lots of big departures from the ECAC this year with the biggest one yet to come. Keep your chin up. With that powerhouse UConn joining HE, maybe you keep that .500 record against the poor, overrated, ECAC next year. Gostisbehere > Johnny! Will be in the NHL too!
                        Last edited by johnk; 04-13-2014, 09:35 AM.

Comment

The post was from yesterday you moron! You are the official a $ s clown of your own schools thread. Lots of big departures from the ECAC this year with the biggest one yet to come. Keep your chin up. With that powerhouse UConn joining HE, maybe you keep that .500 record against the poor, overrated, ECAC next year. Gostisbehere > Johnny! Will be in the NHL too!
                          Obviously in the battle of wits, your counterpart is unarmed!!
                          Like a turkey at Thanksgiving, I'm stuffed

Comment

OK, Johnny boy... take your meds and head back to bed for a while, you seem to be having an argument by yourself now.

As an FYI UVM left the ECAC years ago, so to be honest I don't care who is leaving the ECAC for the pros. You could post that on your thread, or start an "ECAC Departures thread" heck you could even start a poll who is better, JG or SG... of course the Hobey Baker voters already voted and in the end that probably carries more weight then an internet poll. But if you'd would like to find someone to argue with, that would probably be your best bet.

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
                              The negativity amazes me. Mccarthy stayed. Do you think it was because he did not like the coach? Palliotta is going to stay. Puskarich is an incredible sniper. Uvm stunk before sneddon showed up. We now have 3 tourney bids in 6 years. I do think the rink and micheletto held them back. They are on a nice trend up. Couple players left, happens to every program.
                              He can have his opinion and i think they are all valid points for the state of this program. You raise expectations you expect results. Any good school should want it that way and if a coach can't handle the pressure or want to thrive in it they should not be at that program. If you want to keep drinking the koolaid and claim that people aren't fans, well fine. But my season ticket money is just as a good as yours I go to nearly every game and I want this program to be successful and so does catmandoo and others but maybe we just don't have the green tinted glasses on. Call it negative, but I think they are all things that should be asked and its not like we are Maine fans doing it through insults on Sneddons character as a person, though I am sure people could find things on him that are not so nice and rosy if they wanted to or ask people. But i digress.
                              I am really happy the season was a success and I hope it continues I am not optimistic.

but all these excuses like saying it was Michelettos fault that the team was bad is ridiculous. Head coach is leader of the ship. He makes the decisions. That is Sneddon. If his assistants weren't getting the job done he can replace them. Sneddon seemed all too content to let Michelltetto and Gaspirini stay and they would still be here until Michelleto became the 4th choice at UMass because everyone else turned them down. And really if Sneddon wasn't even watching players being brought into his program, that's problematic and I think also sends a bad message to junior and prep coaches. Sneddon can't act like he's too good to go see a kid play or busy or whatever. Hopefully he has learned his lesson and isn't doing that but who knows I think that's concerning.
                              Also players stay for a variety of reasons. McCarthy isn't a dummy. He knew another year of college would help his stock and it did. I hope he is able to stick with the Rangers or at least work hard to get his opportunity like Miller did in Boston via doing well in AHL for a year or two. Next yaer he is going to be missed badly.
                              Hopefully there is another Mario or two in the class and UVM can keep momentum going. If not and there is a dropoff again, I would think UVM has to consider seeking a change and find some fresh blood. Can't sell me, or corporate sponsors on donating to a big arena if I have to watch subpar hockey from the team that plays there. Thats the nature of the business if UVM intents to go big time with facilities like they talk.

Comment

Originally posted by pokecheckguy View Post
                                He can have his opinion and i think they are all valid points for the state of this program. You raise expectations you expect results. Any good school should want it that way and if a coach can't handle the pressure or want to thrive in it they should not be at that program. If you want to keep drinking the koolaid and claim that people aren't fans, well fine. But my season ticket money is just as a good as yours I go to nearly every game and I want this program to be successful and so does catmandoo and others but maybe we just don't have the green tinted glasses on. Call it negative, but I think they are all things that should be asked and its not like we are Maine fans doing it through insults on Sneddons character as a person, though I am sure people could find things on him that are not so nice and rosy if they wanted to or ask people. But i digress.
                                I am really happy the season was a success and I hope it continues I am not optimistic.

but all these excuses like saying it was Michelettos fault that the team was bad is ridiculous. Head coach is leader of the ship. He makes the decisions. That is Sneddon. If his assistants weren't getting the job done he can replace them. Sneddon seemed all too content to let Michelltetto and Gaspirini stay and they would still be here until Michelleto became the 4th choice at UMass because everyone else turned them down. And really if Sneddon wasn't even watching players being brought into his program, that's problematic and I think also sends a bad message to junior and prep coaches. Sneddon can't act like he's too good to go see a kid play or busy or whatever. Hopefully he has learned his lesson and isn't doing that but who knows I think that's concerning.
                                Also players stay for a variety of reasons. McCarthy isn't a dummy. He knew another year of college would help his stock and it did. I hope he is able to stick with the Rangers or at least work hard to get his opportunity like Miller did in Boston via doing well in AHL for a year or two. Next yaer he is going to be missed badly.
                                Hopefully there is another Mario or two in the class and UVM can keep momentum going. If not and there is a dropoff again, I would think UVM has to consider seeking a change and find some fresh blood. Can't sell me, or corporate sponsors on donating to a big arena if I have to watch subpar hockey from the team that plays there. Thats the nature of the business if UVM intents to go big time with facilities like they talk.
                                I still think UVM should put a bit more emphasis on Quebec. Yeah I know the reasons why not to..but that's like saying why bother with anywhere because of BC, MN, UND, etc...

Maybe St. Louis can help when he retires....

Comment

Working...
                                X